Windshield washer pump for galley water?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Windshield washer pump for galley water?

Postby EZ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:45 am

I would really like to add a simple 12 volt water pump system to my interior galley. After looking at water pumps, the prices and failure reviews of anything less that $100, I was again thinking about auto windhield washer pumps. If it is new, it should be able to be cleaned and used for potable water (I think). They run for years and never break. They probably put out enough water for my use of washing hands or veggies, rinsing coffe cups, brushing teeth, etc. Then I found a pump/6 quart tank combo which can easily attach to a wall or cabinet. $27. Hmmmmmmm https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=117557

Now I know I could get a hand pump but what fun is that? We have 12 volts and running water is cool. Any reason why this would not work or be safe?

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Re: Windshield washer pump for galley water?

Postby Cosmo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:35 pm

Love it.
Might need to throttle the pressure to avoid spraying the trailer behind you.

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby Modstock » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:50 pm

Try it and let us know how it goes.
Love out of the box thinking.

Some YouTube vids guy's use these for an "anti tailgating device" and spray coolaid or worse.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GTS225 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:55 pm

Cosmo wrote:Love it.
=Cosmo

*************************************************************************************************

Two ways to do that. Put a metering valve in line on the output side of the pump, or use larger-than-recommended tubing on the discharge side. The additional volume capability of the tubing will automatically drop the pressure.
Personally, I'm not so enamored of the tank volume, but if you're carrying one or two five-gallon potable water containers, it could be quite workable.

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:51 pm

EZ wrote:I would really like to add a simple 12 volt water pump system to my interior galley. After looking at water pumps, the prices and failure reviews of anything less that $100, I was again thinking about auto windhield washer pumps.

I think you're crazy! Meaning that as a compliment, of course. :)

So, I've heard old VW's used the air pressure from their spare tire to run the window washer. So I wonder... :thinking:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:54 pm

I recently bought a new electric washer pump for a replacment and I think its plenty capable; but
a local hardware store had something like this I may try.

Ironton ATV Spot Sprayer — 8-Gallon Capacity, 1 GPM, 12 Volt This one's from northern tool
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (13.55 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby EZ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:37 pm

Cosmo wrote:Love it.

=Cosmo

Now THAT made me laugh! :FNP

I think that modifying the outlet to allow connecting tubing about twice the diameter of a normal washer setup might work well, pressure wise. I will order one up and test it out.

$13.49 shipping! Ouch! 50% of the costs. That is hard to swallow but fair I guess.......
EZ
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:54 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:So, I've heard old VW's used the air pressure from their spare tire to run the window washer. So I wonder... :thinking:
* A confession, from many years ago: I used the air-powered window washer on my old VW's (three) to power on-board Scotch dispensers (my favorite, at that time, the late 60's-early 70's). I also used the electric windshield washer on my '67 Dodge Monaco 500 (actually, it was a second system, so I could still clean the windshield); it was the king of party cars, with dual ice chests and a high-power stereo with 15" speakers/medium size amp in the trunk (the trunk was huge).
* With such equipment in/on my cars, I'm surprised I survived my first 35 years, before I became a teetotaler in '85. Different times, different society. But, I still adapt devices for other uses, and still carry more stuff than needed (but no alcohol).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Modstock » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Google up mud truck windshield sprayer. Lot's of info there.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby EZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:13 pm

I sent a message to the company that sells the tank/pump assembly:

Dear United Staes Plastic Corporation, Is there any reason why I would not want to use a 6 Quart HDPE Windshield Washer Tank assembly with 12 Volt Pump in my RV for potable water if it was thoroughly cleaned when new? I understand that is not what it was designed for but it seems like a good fit for my requirement. Thanks, Ed

They replied:

techsupport [email protected]
Hi,

We do not see anything that says it would be safe for that application.
Thank you for your inquiry, and have a nice day.

Brandon

No surprise there really. Still going to try it. I can't believe that there is anything in the pump that is harmful. Famous last words..... :o
EZ
Donating Member

Postby GTS225 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:01 pm

EZ wrote:They replied:

techsupport [email protected]
Hi,

We do not see anything that says it would be safe for that application.
Thank you for your inquiry, and have a nice day.

Brandon

No surprise there really. Still going to try it. I can't believe that there is anything in the pump that is harmful. Famous last words..... :o

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

So, they're admitting that they know nothing about the very product that they manufacture and sell? :frightened: :roll:
I suppose, if nothing else, you could pull a sample and have it tested somewhere.

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby KennethW » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Personally I would rather not pour the water over to a different container. I would use a Jerrycan type water jug. Then drop a pump in the jug. With a hose going thru a modified cap. A low priced pump like this I would think, Should work good for this. https://www.ebay.com/p/DC-12v-Portable- ... 2619034951
Last edited by KennethW on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:51 pm

:thinking: It would probably be safe for washing dishes, etc; but I would keep separate water in drinking water containers for drinking. Most people do anyway because the water in a water tank can sometimes taste a bit unpleasant or at least odd.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:28 pm

I have a 12VDC RV potable water pump from Grainger that cost me about $35 5 or 8 years ago. Go to the Grainger site and search "12V potable water pump"

You have to turn on the pump manually, and it has to be mounted below the reservoir (not self priming), but food safe and affordable.

:beer:

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:21 pm

slowcowboy wrote:Reviving the comments here. One problem is the windshield washer resovoir is not big enough..most guys even a teardrop use up to 6 gallon tanks...i go kiss simple I have had way to many leaking manual pumps so I just grab a gallon milk jug full of water....or a 7 gallon blue jug if I am doing rv omelets for walk the winds...on board water plumbing is to much hassle for me..slow.

So true. Manual pumps do tent to leak. One must keep an eye on them and make sure everything is kept tightened up.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to General Discussion