Love this TD design!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Love this TD design!

Postby JuneBug » Thu May 02, 2019 2:42 pm

Just came across this 2014 overview article with photos, by linking to an image on Pinterest. It's a DIY teardrop that looks like a professional build.

DIY Micro Camping Trailer I Built for $2900

My favorite things:

The ingenious storage in the front of the TD, accessed through two little baggage doors; inside the TD, the storage area creates a head board and shelf.

The other thing I like is the vertical back with a large door that swings up to access the kitchen area; the door then doubles as a shelter/shade.

The builder mentioned how easy it was to build, because he's looked at a lot of trailers and knew how they went together. My guess is that he had extensive finish carpentry/construction experience prior to beginning this project.

Again, an aspirational article, NOT a how-to.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Re: Love this TD design!

Postby John61CT » Thu May 02, 2019 3:27 pm

Yes very well thought-out design, great use of space.

I wonder aerodynamically mpg wise, if there's much advantage having the curve in front. I'd think - depending on TV height of course - might as well just get the extra storage by going square there too.

Wouldn't be as cute of course. . .
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Modstock » Thu May 02, 2019 9:48 pm

Love the kitchen. Super simple minimalist.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JuneBug » Fri May 03, 2019 3:28 pm

Just scrolled down to read the comments on the build. Of course it devolves to some snitty comments because internet, but there's quite a bit of info and positive interaction as you go along. And yes, it's a confirmed DIY build.

Takeaways from builder's posts in the comments section:
1. The builder, Greg, notes: "The rear cargo door was made for a fifth wheel trailer, Its big and water tight. Bought it new at Bontrager’s in White pigeon, MI. Think I paid about $35."
2. The finish material is Filon and holding up well
3. The plans are in the builder's head and don't exist on paper, and the builder suggests heading to TTT.com for more info on building a TTT!

Sadly, as many of you know, the Kelty Tailgater IPA tent seen in the photos is no longer available
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion