Wheels under or wheels out?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Wheels under or wheels out?

Postby jaysul » Sat May 04, 2019 6:18 pm

Going to upgrade my axle to some torsion stubs. what are the advantages of having the wheels outside the trailer body rather than under? Just looks? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaysul
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Wheels under or wheels out?

Postby Modstock » Sat May 04, 2019 6:59 pm

Having them on the outside, probably more stability being wider in the winds, bumps and off-road.
Another would be you could lower it down if needed. Also an option of bigger tires wich helps bearings stay cool.

Not any pluses to having them in board. Stuck with the height, tires and tippy being narrow.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Sat May 04, 2019 7:00 pm

Wheels out will probably give you the same track as your tow vehicle, better stability, and the possible of a lower heighth.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat May 04, 2019 8:10 pm

I think most folks that build over the tires do so because they are building a 5-wide on a 4' trailer.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby jaysul » Sun May 05, 2019 11:23 pm

Well the wheels are out! And the torsion stubs are the greatest thing since sliced bread!! Little more measuring but the ride quality can’t be beat! Those old soft 30” springs are no more!!
Lets get off road!!

jaysul
Teardrop Inspector

Postby gudmund » Tue May 07, 2019 10:20 pm

another "Big" advantage to the 'outside' location (if it 'ever' happens) is not just a flat tire, but a flat tire where a steel belt inside the tire breaks (and Yes, most tires made today have steel belts in them) - if this happens the tire usually explodes and ""tears"" up anything within it's reach!! and than some!!! With the tire on the 'outside', this means a damage fender and maybe some sidewall damage - but mounted 'under' the trailer, this location means total body damage - destroyed !! But yes, this may not be that common of a happening, but it can & does happen. And recently with the problem of the 'Made in China' trailer tires these last few years - it has been a more of a common problem with them just 'falling' apart. Just something 'more' too think about. (And yes, I agree - I miss the 'torsion bar' suspension of my first teardrop, BUT the new (USA made) 'car' tires that I had installed to replace the 'China' made ST trailer tires this second trailer came with has helped the ride quite a bit - but I just don't like these "leaf" springs.......... :thinking: .............)
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Modstock » Wed May 08, 2019 8:52 pm

Any pics of the install ?
I've kinda always wanted to ride in my teardrop, just to see how it rides.

I may look into these in the next future trailer.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jaysul » Thu May 09, 2019 9:00 pm

Im using an old waverunner or john boat trailer I believe for my base. so i needed something square to mount to( the whole frame is round tube) and it may be a little overboard but i pull with a 5.7 hemi so its ok. Each stub is rated at 1000 lbs. tried some taller tires and didn’t like how much it raised it up so im sticking with the little guys for now. ImageImageImage

jaysul
Teardrop Inspector

Postby videographer » Fri May 10, 2019 7:20 am

Do you have a brand and model for your axles? I have similar units on my camper and they are canted inward by about 10 degrees (top narrower than the bottom.) Everything around them is square. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
videographer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jaysul » Sat May 11, 2019 8:19 pm

They are the reliable brand off amazon. Mine have no toe in what so ever on either side. How old are your hub assemblies and bearing sets? That would cause that if they are older. Image

jaysul
Teardrop Inspector

Postby videographer » Sat May 25, 2019 12:48 pm

They are basically brand new. The tilt isn't fore and aft, it's vertical. In any event, it's not my biggest problem anymore - got a crack in my frame again, gotta figure that one out.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
videographer
Teardrop Advisor

Return to General Discussion