So let's discuss cb radios

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: So let's discuss cb radios

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat May 11, 2019 12:35 pm

As a Jeep guy, most organized runs want everyone to have a CB for trail runs. I prefer the Cobra 75WXST all in one. The mic can easily be unscrewed and taken out when not in use. The speaker in the Mic is a weak point for me. So I rig it up to a small exterior speaker which I also use as a Bluetooth speaker for my music while camping.

I have used the CB many times when traffic problems arise. When traveling in a caravan it works for talking among us also. More recently our caravans have used Walkie Talkies, when traveling, but I will always keep a CB. We use the odd lower channels to communicate, and 19 for trucker road info.

https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-C75WXST-Ha ... way&sr=8-1
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sat May 11, 2019 3:44 pm

I've been into ham radio for 30+ years. I occasionally add a CB to the TV when traveling. Last year going to WTW, I noticed the old Cobra I had was acting funny. It failed completely not long ago. I replaced it with a basic Uniden unit. It seems to work well, but I haven't road tripped with it yet.

https://smile.amazon.com/Uniden-PRO510X ... 00004VXNF/
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sat May 11, 2019 5:48 pm

* I was preparing to get a ham license awhile back, and bought a Uniden PRO520XL for my truck in the interim (just for listening to the truckers while travelling to campsites, or to use in an emergency, since I travel alone). Though I also bought a Baofeng UV-5X handheld ham at the same time, I haven't got the license, yet, and use it as a NOAA weather radio receiver, and the CB once in every few months.
* CB radio isn't the same as when I used a Cobra 29 (23 channel, not 40 channels like now), but then too, neither is the populace the same as back in the early-mid 70's, when CB's were very active. It got too active after Smokey and the Bandit came out, and I gave my radio away, due to too many fools on the air. As it is now, you can get through better, if you need to, but it's still not the same.
* But, by carrying the unlicensed ham radio, a CB radio, and my SM-930A (Samsung S7),+ my back-up flip-phone with me every time I go camping, at least I have a good chance of making contact if'n I get lost or go missing on the road. My Grandparents got lost for three days in the 70's, though they were a couple of years older than me now, and it still bothers me that I couldn't find them. My wife heard of that occurrence, and for some reason assumes it runs in the family, so she threatens to send out a Silver Alert if I'm not home on time (though she drives all over the country and won't answer my calls). So, I keep in constant contact with her, and/or in touch with my surroundings (multiple GPS mapping sources on-board), and I'll not be the one who goes missing...probably to her displeasure.
* Anyway, having a cheap CB radio set-up in my truck isn't a total waste of time or money, as it may be needed someday, and listening for Beartrap locations can be amusing sometimes. I have about $100 invested in it, including antenna, mount, and SWR meter; mere pennies compared to the ham set-up I'll probably get eventually.
my CB radio choices, 45 years apart.jpg
both were good choices, then and now
my CB radio choices, 45 years apart.jpg (95.01 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Sat May 11, 2019 8:22 pm

I have mine setup for temporary installation. It's mounted to a "seat organizer" I found at the local police supply store. I hadn't seen a rigid version of those before. The radio is a bit hard to see since it's not powered up. My ham radio is in the first can of the console.

Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Sun May 12, 2019 10:07 am

CB does not require a license. Ham radio does. Ham radio cost more to buy and setup. I don't know what is required in the way of training for Ham.

CB I have been doing for 40 years or so now. I have used many different brands. My preferred brand is Uniden. Cobra from what I have used have the worst receive quality out there. Set up with a good antenna they can get you out there. But the receive side picks up every piece of static and lets you hear it threw anyone talking. I have had a model 19. That one went out the window at 60 MPH. I have a model 29 setup in a brief case as a last resort throw it in on a cig plug and mag mount antenna. This one has the worst receive of any radio I have every owned bar none.

My truck has a Striker 497 in it. This one is a 10 meter radio. I requires a ham license. Receive quality is good. Output is variable. I keep it turned down to CB power levels. If I need distance. I turn a knob for more power output.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun May 12, 2019 11:48 am

slowcowboy wrote:Just kinda a greeni to cbs radios but sparks what's the difference between ham radio and normal cbs? Slow

Costs and licensing are part of the difference. The ham gear I have in the car daily is 75watts on VHF and generally line of sight distance, unless working through a repeater system. VHF and higher frequency are typically FM. GMRS is a similar arrangement.

At shortwave frequencies (like CB is) ham radio is limited mainly by physics of the atmosphere, with worldwide communication possible. Power can be up to 1,500 watts. CB is typically limited in distance by the low 5 watt power limit.

I've been following some overland guys on youtube over the last year. Most are located in the mountainous western USA. Not all of them mention it, but If you pay attention to the vehicles, they all seem to have ham radios to communicate with their trail groups. Many also carry a CB. Each has a use. I'll have a CB going to WTW mainly for the trucker reports on the highways.

In Wyoming the license ham radio population is very low, only about 2,000 people.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby ferbal » Sun May 12, 2019 9:33 pm

I think it depends on your usage. CB is ideal if you are going to be in well traveled areas and are looking for more traffic info. I personally run with a Ham because when I have lost cell signal in the middle of the mountains odds are I can hit a Ham repeater in an emergency, plus Ham has no legal power restrictions so range can be better.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk
ferbal
Teardrop Advisor

Postby redbicycle » Mon May 13, 2019 3:02 pm

ferbal wrote:I think it depends on your usage. CB is ideal if you are going to be in well traveled areas and are looking for more traffic info. I personally run with a Ham because when I have lost cell signal in the middle of the mountains odds are I can hit a Ham repeater in an emergency, plus Ham has no legal power restrictions so range can be better.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

Depending on license class and frequency the power limit could be as low as 5 watts and every frequency has a legal max limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kim Armstrong » Tue May 14, 2019 6:02 am

Since Radio Shack has gone out where do you all get CB's and things now? I need a antenna and meter. Thanks
Kim Armstrong
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Philip » Tue May 14, 2019 6:47 am

On line or any truck stop still has them.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Wed May 15, 2019 11:20 am

Slow something else to think about. There are very few drivers using CB's today. Most truckers still put them in but never use them anymore. On my two
week trip out threw yellowstone last year. The radio was on all the time the truck was running. With about 8k miles round trip with all the scenic out of the way trips. I heard about 6 or 8 people on the cb.

So a cb might not be a good investment till cb usage on the road picks up.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu May 16, 2019 8:47 am

What are the odds of being able to reach out with a CB radio in a remote spot and actually have somebody within range? I would think that if you didn't have cell service the chance of somebody hearing a cry for help would be slim.

Thoughts?

Tony

p.s. We carry a Spot transmitter but the subscription is spendy.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Thu May 16, 2019 1:01 pm

tony.latham wrote:What are the odds of being able to reach out with a CB radio in a remote spot and actually have somebody within range? I would think that if you didn't have cell service the chance of somebody hearing a cry for help would be slim.

Thoughts?

Tony

p.s. We carry a Spot transmitter but the subscription is spendy.

* My way of thinking is that if you really need to reach out for help, no matter where you are, then why not carry along several types of radio gear, covering as many frequencies as possible, if you can afford the equipment? CB, GMRS, cellular are relatively inexpensive, Ham radio gear a little more, specialized gear (Spot, satellite phones, etc.) even more expensive. I carry the cheapest that I can get, and probably will never depend on any, but who knows?

* If I traveled to remote locales, then I would get better equipment. Having a CB along for low $$$ outlay...it can't hurt, and maybe if "more sensible" people (as opposed to the nitwits that took over the CB airwaves in the late 70's) used them, like us tear-droppers!!!, then maybe CB would grow great again, as it was 50 or so years ago, when it was actually useful to the general public.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Modstock » Thu May 16, 2019 1:14 pm

I have a cobra in my jeep full time. It's tuned pretty good, have reached someone who was 5 miles away and was loud and clear.
Using a 3 foot tunable antenna on my front fender. It touches the garage door just a bit going under.

A power mic can be used to get out a bit farther.
Also use a real good ground for the antenna mount. I have a short battery cable with serrated washers on both ends.
Mainly used for jeep group rides or weather/traffic updates. Sometimes the pesky tailgating semi.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby AllenS » Fri May 17, 2019 12:47 pm

I've considered getting my ham license a few times, but there is virtually no ham community here in Montana. There are a few repeaters that I've been listening to for almost a year, and I've never heard any conversation on any of them. That sort of took the wind out of my sails the last time I got interested in getting licensed.

CBs were really big here when I was in high school and college, before cell phones were affordable. I still keep a couple of inexpensive Unidens in both of our vehicles, and I have an old Cobra on the bench in the garage. I live a stones throw from I-90, and I hear conversations between truckers fairly regularly, but nothing like the old days when everyone was on there. Although when we had a lot of flooding two years ago, and communications were down all over town, channel 19 got awfully busy for a few weeks.

I did recently get a GMRS license, a couple of really nice Midland hand helds, and an MXT400 in the truck. That should keep the family talking over reasonable distances when we're out boondocking.
AllenS
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to General Discussion