Installing custom stargazing window like a car windshield?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Installing custom stargazing window like a car windshield?

Postby t3jem » Thu May 23, 2019 10:47 am

I'm investigating options for installing a custom stargazing window (I want one that's larger than the vintek window), something around 48" x 18".

My biggest concern is longevity of the seal, particularly given that the biggest concern with these windows is leakage.

Has anyone attempted or considered a similar installation via automotive sealant? Or do you have better ideas for a better seal?

My thought was the following:
1. Install aluminum Z channel trim, similar to this: https://eagle-aluminum.com/product-cate ... z-channel/.
- The idea would be to seal the trim to the aluminum skin and providing a sealed surface from there for the window to seal to.
2. Install the window into the Z channel trim using a rubber gasket and automotive glue.
3. Install a rubber seal to fill the gap between the window and aluminum trim, the same way they do windshields.

Does this sound like a crazy idea? Or is there better, proven options?
t3jem
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Installing custom stargazing window like a car windshiel

Postby Tomterrific » Thu May 23, 2019 2:19 pm

My problem with these Windows is they are flat so water puddles on them. What about making a window like a pent roof so water runs off.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby t3jem » Sat May 25, 2019 10:28 am

Yeah, looking into how sunroofs work it looks like they have weep holes as well (I didn't realize this when first thinking of my approach).

I would imagine it's possible to build in some weep holes with tubing, but that's another potential leaking point in the window, so maybe the RV skylight approach is the way to for simplicity. I was worried about heat coming in from those though.
t3jem
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tomterrific » Sun May 26, 2019 7:55 am

This is just a wild idea but potential for the best stargazer window you could install.

Got to a junk yard and hack a sunroof off of a nice wrecked car. You would hack the entire roof off and trim it at your shop to fit. I don't think any newer car has a manual window mechanism now so get enough wireing harness to get the open/close function to work. I read in "The Dome Book" that it is possible to quickly hack out a car roof with an axe.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby jaysul » Mon May 27, 2019 1:15 pm

She hasn’t leaked yet! Even while hosing her down dry as a bone. 48”x18” pic window with the weep holes flushed up and a piece of plexi on top. The window was 20 bucks on the classified ads.
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaysul
Teardrop Inspector

Postby greygoos » Mon May 27, 2019 1:53 pm

I think the stargazer that jaysul put in is the way to go. I have done similar using a used golf cart windshield. They are fairly inexpensive, 20 to 30 bucks and are pretty much the size you are looking for.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby t3jem » Tue May 28, 2019 5:00 pm

jaysul wrote:She hasn’t leaked yet! Even while hosing her down dry as a bone. 48”x18” pic window with the weep holes flushed up and a piece of plexi on top. The window was 20 bucks on the classified ads.
ImageImage

Jaysul, can you expand more on your process?

What did you mean by pic window? Is that just a basic fixed window I could get at Home Depot?

Also, how did you secure the plexi?

Any maintenance to consider, and would it work on an aluminum roof?

Thanks!
t3jem
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jaysul » Tue May 28, 2019 5:40 pm

Yes it is a picture window from any home store. You must flush the weep holes on the frame for a good seal. Then i run a good continuous bead of silicone on the vinyl frame lay down the plexi then flush cut with my router after 24 hours. A good sharp chisel makes fast work of the weep holes. And if the plexi gets scratched or cloudy peel it off an put on another. Piece of cake.ImageImage

jaysul
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion