12 Volt Cab A/C

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

12 Volt Cab A/C

Postby jrice4760 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:05 pm

Does anyone have any experience using this type of 12 volt A/C system? I did try to search on this site before submitting this question, but nothing of this sort seems to have been discussed.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 4567oFQRdr

It seems to be used for truck cabs, and perhaps RVs as well.

Full Disclosure: I'm a complete newb :) . I've never built a camper of any kind, much less a teardrop.

Jeff
jrice4760
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 12 Volt Cab A/C

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:39 pm

Even at the minimum rated power (300W), it would run a typical teardrop battery (120Ah) down to zero in a little over 4 hours and at max rated power (3000W) it would kill the battery in 1/2 hour.

Diesel trucks have lots of battery capacity, and often idle the engine to keep the heat/AC running all night.

:beer:
<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:44 pm

Looking at the pictures it has an engine drive compressor, so it appears you need to have your engine running to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Aguyfromohio » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:09 pm

When we started our builds I too searched for a low power air conditioner that runs on a 12 volt battery.
It does not exist. We could run through the physics and engineering but instead we can just look at what sells in the marketplace.

If such a unit existed it would be standard equipment on every small boat and small camper - they would sell like hot cakes; every owner wants one. But no boat or RV offers one.

The best we can get is what we see in little manufactured RVs; the smallest window air conditioners that run on 120 VAC tucked into a cabinet, powered by shore power or a generator. The units for the sleeper cabs in big trucks are using the big truck diesel engine’s alternator for power.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:31 pm

We did a lot of research on this subject... what the Others here have said is 100% correct. Here's our version:

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pinstriper » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:21 am

Fans and shade are a pretty effective combination, and in really hot conditions, a fan with a mister takes it up another notch. We bought one at Home Depot a few years ago, sits atop a 5 gallon bucket and runs on Ryobi One+ batteries. Best money ever spent.

Grab an extra popup shade for $65 at HFT. Buy two, one for outdoor living space, and one to shade the teardrop. Heck, buy a third.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby jrice4760 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:01 am

I appreciate all the replies. The small, under-counter unit seems to be a good option.

Can anyone tell me about the Dometic unit shown at 2:30 in this video? https://youtu.be/eqE9ZxLB7RU

It seems to be a split unit, and the Conqueror website indicates that it's an option for an additional $3800.00. Seems kinda steep. Also, it doesn't appear on the Dometic website.

Thanks again for indulging a newb.

Jeff
jrice4760
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:31 am

The thing we have adjusted to is, if there is electricity available we will have A/C. If there is no electricity available we have two Coleman fans that run on DC power. I can run them off my battery bank or D size batteries. Seems to work for us.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion