Deit cookware or one man cooking whilist camping.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Deit cookware or one man cooking whilist camping.

Postby Pinstriper » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:35 pm

My teardrop is explicitly for solo camping, ie. for trips that my bitter half is not invited on. Like fishing/hunting trips.

Food is a mix of canned and freeze dried, possibly I'll bring along a steak, sausages and/or bacon and eggs. I much prefer canned over freeze dried. I do also bring instant oatmeal as a staple. If I bring fresh foods and a pint of milk (for tea) it would be in my walmart Yeti knockoff.

The canned food is not all beanie-weanie, though that does feature. Canned green beans, asparagus, corn all go well with a steak. Kielbasa and saurkraut makes a nice one-pan meal.

I do bring a 2-burner stove, and a propane grill. They don't always get used. My most recent trip was just an overnight, so it was ravioli cooked in the can over a fuel tablet, which was also used to boil water for morning tea and oatmeal.

Family trips in the "big" 15 footer involve fresh foods from the refrigerator and are a lot more involved. Fresh vegetables on the grill, shrimp/chicken/sausage/steak/burgers plus whatever is caught if there is fishing/crabbing/clamming involved.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:30 pm

* Similar to Pinstriper in many respects:

* My teardrop is explicitly for solo camping, ie. for trips that my bitter half never is invited on. (check)

* Food is a mix of canned and frozen, possibly I'll bring along a steak, sausages and/or bacon and eggs. I much prefer canned over freeze dried. I do also bring dehydrated hash-browns & dehydrated eggs as a staple (not to mention Vienna sausages and sardines). When I bring fresh foods and at least 10 gallons of water (for sweet peach iced-tea) it would be in my Igloo IMX Yeti knockoff (or my homemade Frankencooler-an Igloo Cube inside a bigger Igloo Cube with added foam insulation).(check)

* The canned food is not all :stompspam:, though that does feature. Canned green(s), German Potato Salad, baked beans all go well with a steak. Kielbasa and sauerkraut makes a nice one-pan meal. (check)

* I do bring a 2-burner stove, a vintage electric skillet, and a charcoal grill. They don't all always get used. (check)
Last edited by working on it on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:44 pm

Although few people use ONLY dried foods, it should be noted that it is best to intersperse some fresh and canned foods in ones menu. Dehydrated and freeze dried foods are wonderful for long term camping and storage. However, vitamins B and C are water soluble and are lost with the dehydration and freeze drying processes. One of the easiest ways to add a little of that back into ones diet when long-term camping is to be certain to also store and drink small, individual cans of fruit juices that have B and C vitamins listed in the contents label.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby nobull » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:49 pm

I have camped all my life, parents were campers. I started in tents, moved up to pop-ups, then wife talked me into a 30 ft beast, now back to a tent, until I get my first camper built. I was always the cook on these camp outs, now I am alone except sometimes my 16 yr old grandson goes. I have a 10 inch skillet and a stock pot, 2 burner stove, propane grill, varied cooking utensils, and a cooler. Over the 4th weekend I only used the grill, steaks, brats, grilled corn, jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon, bacon sandwiches... It does not take a lot to fix meals for one. Anything left over is breakfast. I have the ability to do more if I feel like it, omelets, beans and rice, I have NEVER cooked spam while camping though it is not out of the question. So far, the 2 pans and grill have worked for me. Food in one cooler and adult beverages in the other. I am thinking I may look for a coffee pot though.
"Don't know where we are going, but ain't no use in being late" Matthew Quigly

Nobull
nobull
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:57 pm

I usually go alone, or just with my son. I like to cook when camping, so steak is usually on the menu . I don't go for the freeze dried stuff except in my emergency meal supply. I have a few of the Knorr sides, that I might mix with canned chicken if I'm desperate ( or had one too many to cook).
T
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Modstock » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:40 am

Once a year I'll go camping solo. Helps recharge the batteries getting away from everyone and everything.

As for diet. I may skip lunch.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:47 pm

I like to go solo every now and then and I always bring real food when I'm camping, here's my favorite summertime dinner:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Westy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:40 am

My teardrop is explicitly for solo camping, ie. for trips that my bitter half is not invited on. Like fishing/hunting trips.

Just love the description. I guess my better half could also be in that category.
Westy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tioga passer » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:21 pm

I camp alone. My wife doesnt like to camp. She likes to cabin. Meal time at camp for me is a Big deal. I always start with a press pot full of coffee at first light. Breakfast is often fried potatoes cooked on my Weber baby Q in a cast iron pan and some sausages or bacon, eggs too. I like to cook dinner over a couple of hours. Regrilled ribs, fried rice, maybe Lamb chops and pasta. I love to cook from scratch and greatly enjoy my quiet time alone.
Tioga passer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pinstriper » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:11 pm

I have another solo overnight tomorrow for kayak fishing saturday, and will probably be very spartan again. I will be cooking with a canteen stove using fuel tabs, but have a jet-boil with me as well.

Dinner tomorrow night will be a can of beanie weanie cooked in the canteen cup, and maybe a packet of chicken noodle soup.

BreakfastI will break out the jet-boil to make enough water for tea and oatmeal. I will have a mountain house pouch of breakfast and dinner just in case I wast more.

A pack of fig newtons or cookies may be tomorrow nights desert.

That said, I may do some fishing from the bank if I arrive for the sunset bite and I will be prepared to put a trout in a frying pan and a can of corn or asparagus on the stove if it works out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion