Leaving your camper for a week?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Leaving your camper for a week?

Postby booyah » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:55 am

Ok, so Kid #1 and I are planning a kayak trip to Isle Royale National Park.
The process from our home for this is about a 10 hour drive, then a 4 hour boat ride. I'm seriously considering bringing the TD up so we can stay on a real bed the night before the boat ride, but I dont relish the thought of leaving it unattended in the ferry parking lot for a week.

Thoughts on this? I have a locking hitch pin for the car, a pad lock for the hitch, and lockable doors and tongue box, but the hatch doesn't lock.

We're leaving home on a Thursday morning to do the drive, staying locally by the ferry Friday (where I want the TD part 1).
Leaving the car and trailer and traveling by ferry to the park for 6 days, coming back thrusday afternoon staying someplace semi local (where I want the TD part 2) and driving the rest of the way home.

How would you feel leaving your TD? Mind you this is a TINY town in very northern Michigan, but I dont know if I am exactly comfortable with it.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Re: Leaving your camper for a week?

Postby Cosmo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:43 am

I love the upper peninsula of Michigan. Its another world there. I would find a local resident or establishment and pay them to store your trailer. Preferably out of sight. There will be many transients passing thru the ferry lot and the trailer alone is a tempting smash and grab target. Just having it in someones yard associates it with a local person which I view as an advantage. If the person lives on a quiet street in this quiet area you lower the number of people who will see your trailer drastically.

I certainly stood out as a non local in the UP but found the people there very friendly and helpful when I put an effort into communicating with them.

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:07 am

Even with our removable tongue with coupler attached I might park it for a couple hours but certainly not for days.
A few years ago on this forum a Camp Inn was pushed into the alley while landscaping was done, it disappeared.
In Burien Washington I would see a teardrop parked in the field next to the owners apartment building.
The owner posted on this forum that it disappeared.
Trust no one, opportunists are everywhere waiting for the next challenge.
Trust your gut feelings.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:58 am

and traveling by ferry to the park for 6 days...

I used to patrol the backcountry on horseback. I'd lay there in my bag and worry all night long that the string was going to get loose and head back to the trailhead or parts unknown. Laying there listening for trouble.

So my point is this, do you really want to worry for six nights? :thumbdown:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GTS225 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:28 am

Might there be a (relatively) local, fenced tow yard that you could park the pair in for the 6 days?

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby tomhawk » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:06 pm

I have taken this boat from Copper Harbor several times for visits to Isle Royale. We have stayed the night before departure at the motel adjacent to the boat dock and across the street from the parking lot. We had a good view of the northern lights from the room. It could not have been more convenient for the 8 AM sailing.

Driving 10 hr with a trailer the day before is not attractive to me. Don't forget your bug repellent!

Tom
Evolution is driven by mistakes, not plans.

My build: https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=75248
tomhawk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby booyah » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:23 pm

GTS225 wrote:Might there be a (relatively) local, fenced tow yard that you could park the pair in for the 6 days?

Roger

I checked, according to wikipedia, the 2010 census had 108 people in the town.

Not a large place to provide much for options. I'm starting to think leave it home, I have a campsite in the nearby campground for the night before, but I just hate to start off the trip sleeping on the ground when I have this wonderful teardrop sitting at home!
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

booyah
The 300 Club

Postby Cosmo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Maybe you checked but perhaps the campground is a good place to park and lock the trailer while you are gone for a reasonable fee?

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:27 pm

I vote for the no trailer, camp in a tent option...

But! If you have a HF or other tilt bed trailer you can remove the entire tongue with a pin and a bolt. Easy trailer theft deterrent.

You will need to get a hasp and a padlock for the hatch. That seems the easiest, quickest way to lock up the back.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:18 am

Doesn’t seem like a good idea … :NC
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:33 am

* Park it in the local Mayor's or Police Dept Chief's designated parking spot (or constable, etc). I'm sure it will be impounded, and then it's their responsibility. Of course, there'll be fees assessed....
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 am

This seems like too much trouble and worry for one nights sleep. Wherever you leave it, you will worry about it for the whole trip. Why stress over a problem you made for yourself?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby booyah » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:24 am

Well, y'all convinced me. Leaving her at home for this trip...

Sadly.... :cry:

booyah
The 300 Club

Postby exminnesotaboy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:52 am

darn, I had a great solution for you until I read your last sentence. My father lives about 20 easy miles from the Isle Royale ferry point, but on the Minnesota side. He would've had no issue with it being parked in his very safe yard. Maybe next time :)
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Modstock » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:19 pm

Well, if ya gotta drive 10 hours anyway. Might as well bring the TD cause tents are lame.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion