Doors and windows: To Build or Buy?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Doors and windows: To Build or Buy?

Postby Calvin_Ford » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:03 am

Is it better/easier/more cost efficient to build your own door or buy a door? What about windows? If buying is the better option who sells the best products at the best prices? If building is the better option has anyone offered plans on the site?

Thanks!
Calvin_Ford
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Doors and windows: To Build or Buy?

Postby Tomterrific » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:25 am

I have a inexpensive camper. I made my own doors by cutting out the doors from the plywood sides. I used a 1x3 around the door edge spaced out about 3/4" and another 1x3 on the plywood side of the camper. Since this was a perfect fit, I merely put the door back in the door hole and installed the hinge then put the remaining 1x3's around the closed door. This made a laberenth seal, no leaks. I bought jalouise windows for a retro look and I like them. They shed rain when open. Google shed and playhouse windows for many interesting styles.

So, even though you can buy doors and make windows, I found it easier and more economical to make doors and buy windows.

I used aluminum siding J bead for a little gutter over the door. Talk about cheap, 10' for $4!

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:08 am

On three of my builds, I've installed Vintage's doors. They are expensive and other than cutting the opening and the installation process, they are zero labor.

On this current build, I'm rolling my own. With hinges, seals, latches and windows, they (and the door stops/seals) are about half as expensive and a heck of a lotta work.

Here's the detail on my doorstop and seals:

Superb ventilation is needed in a teardrop. That means two screened windows and a vent fan. I purchased my windows for my doors, from Vintage Technologies. Some budget-conscious folks make their own windows. Search for Wiley Window on this site. I think they are kinda funky and question the ventilation but that's just me looking at photos.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby TimC » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:11 am

Hey Calvin. Welcome...

Tony is right, Wiley windows are kinda funky. That was my attraction to the design. That and the cost. Under $30 for the pair. Double strength glass being about 90% of that cost.

Tony is right about ventilation as well. I live way up north and typically camp farther north (yeah, I whine when temps go over 80f). I get good air flow through both, however, your experience will be based on your climate and preferences. Just like most of the rest of my build I would have preferred commercially made units if the cost was less... much less. It wasn't and going back to my dad's favorite saying; "You have more time than money ".

Regardless of your decision, as some very smart guy or gal said during my build, you won't regret purchasing well made commercially available parts down the road. I've fiddled and enhanced my Wileys since the td became road worthy. Are you up for that committment? My dad's saying remains true to this day. And I like to tinker.

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:23 am

I built my own doors, to get the shape and material I wanted. I purchased windows from Grant before he retired, so have no idea where to find similar units today.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:49 am

tony.latham wrote:On three of my builds, I've installed Vintage's doors. They are expensive and other than cutting the opening and the installation process, they are zero labor.

On this current build, I'm rolling my own. With hinges, seals, latches and windows, they (and the door stops/seals) are about half as expensive and a heck of a lotta work.

Here's the detail on my doorstop and seals:

Superb ventilation is needed in a teardrop. That means two screened windows and a vent fan. I purchased my windows for my doors, from Vintage Technologies. Some budget-conscious folks make their own windows. Search for Wiley Window on this site. I think they are kinda funky and question the ventilation but that's just me looking at photos.

Tony
Tomterrific wrote:I have a inexpensive camper. I made my own doors by cutting out the doors from the plywood sides. I used a 1x3 around the door edge spaced out about 3/4" and another 1x3 on the plywood side of the camper. Since this was a perfect fit, I merely put the door back in the door hole and installed the hinge then put the remaining 1x3's around the closed door. This made a labyrinth seal, no leaks. I bought jalousie windows for a retro look and I like them. They shed rain when open...
So, even though you can buy doors and make windows, I found it easier and more economical to make doors and buy windows.

I used aluminum siding J bead for a little gutter over the door. Talk about cheap, 10' for $4! Tt

* My camper started out to be a "no/low budget" build, using whatever I could readily find locally, or re-purpose from parts on hand from other projects. I also decided to build it as a simple, angular squareback, using only straight cuts, and thick 3/4" plywood (with no insulation), so it would be very strong and easier? to construct. Certain design decisions I made (45 degree front sloped roofline, and a forward-of-normal door placement) made making my own doors a necessary choice. I cut them out from the sides, and used a method similar to Tony's, to seal them.

* As for using no windows in the doors: I enter the trailer headfirst, with my feet at the door end side, so windows there would've been subject to accidental contact, and possible breakage. And, I wanted awning-style windows placed up high (for more privacy, and security), so none could fit into the doors anyway. I tried making scale-model Wiley windows, but didn't like the way they worked, or looked, and finally bought the awning-style windows I had bookmarked as my first choice, 2 years before I bought them (the windows were bought/installed after the rest was 99% already finished). Here's the way I made and installed the doors and parts I used.

working on it wrote: from another thread I used compression-type automotive doorseals, that I had leftover from restoring my old '69 Chevy C-10 pickup (I wish I still had it) in the late '90's. The seals are mounted on the 1/4" inner doorjambs of the oak bracing surrounding the solid 3/4" plywood doors (totally sealed with "the mix", and multiple coats of poly and paint), and the bottomside has an exterior doorsweep hanging down as a drip-edge, protecting the aluminum threshold there (no rubber seal there, just a wood/aluminum interface).

* Another thing about using those leftover seals from my truck restoration: they were really too thick to let the doors compress them and still remain flush with the sides, so I used scissors and cut about 1/4" width strips from the bulbs, nearest to the inner doorjamb, so they would still have plenty of rubber there, and fully compress. I nearly bought different ones, but the molded corners of the "factory-style" '67-72 Chevy C-10 door seals fit so nicely into the corners, that a little work on them was worth the effort.
Attachments
doorseals & compression latches (2).png
the thick doorseals and the friction-fit of wood -to-aluminum threshold under the door, make the use of unconventional door locks necessary
doorseals & compression latches (2).png (905.87 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
doorseals and water protection (2).jpg
since the door sits directly on the floor, I opted to use no seal there, but protect it from water ingress with a very tight friction-fit of door over threshold, with and external door sweep as an extra measure
doorseals and water protection (2).jpg (250.11 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
door-window scheme.jpg
I used leftover truck seals mainly because they had a molded corner that conformed to the shape of the angular door (and I already had them on hand!)
door-window scheme.jpg (296.7 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby saywhatthat » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:27 pm

No better window than a Wiley window .One moveing part, lighter, Window glass can be a low costing cutting board . Temper glass. Can replace glass with something hard when storing are off- road. Will be posting How I make doors that won't warp, rot ,very light ."So easy a caveman could do it." (if you know where that came from your old) will start posting this week. foam under glass
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:15 pm

I bought Challenger doors for the teardrop we are building, rather than build the doors. If I'd waited until retirement, next year, to start building, I probably would have gone the other way on the "more time than money" premise.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Calvin_Ford » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Thank you for all the responses, gentlemen. I'll be checking out the Wiley Windows.

Frustrating thing about this, I actually found a guy selling RV doors and windows on Craigslist. He seems to have exactly what I need and they are supposedly brand new. Better still he is selling them for a super low price ($75 doors and $10 windows. Has stacks of each... I know, I know, if it's too good to be true...) However, when I called him he told me he was only willing to meet M-F 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Makes me think he knows he has a commodity that people want and he can name his terms. Of course I work during those hours (as do most people) and even though I explained this to him he wouldn't budge. So, I will either have to build my own or wait until Labor Day to drive the two hours out to his place. I've yet to confirm that he'll be available on Labor Day so that might not even work!

Maybe between now and when I can get out to this guys place I will have already built what I need.

Thanks again, everyone!
Calvin_Ford
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion