Skin

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Skin

Postby wysedav » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:09 am

Sorry in advance, I'm sure this has been asked before....

I'm building a ATMA clone and am just about ready to skin it. I need to source clear anodized aluminum in 0.032" x5x10 and 4x10 sheets, does anyone know a source in CT area? I found J Freeman in Boston but they don't have the 5x10 sheets.

Thanks,

David
wysedav
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Skin

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:57 pm

Good luck in finding 5' x 10' anodized aluminum.
I can only find it in my area in 4' x 10' sheets.

I butt joint the aluminum on the sides towards the roof (just above the door) and then cut a 1/2" wide strip to cover the butt joint, using the thin 3M VHB tape.

On the roof of my 5' wide teardrop I cut the sheets in half with the grain going across the roof and do a 2" overlap with the leading edge facing rearward.
I use the thicker VHB tape and also cover the edge with "L" shaped aluminum trim.
Don't know what an ATMA is but these building principals should work if it's a flat surface your covering.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby wysedav » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:04 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to find 5’ but I think you’re right I’m going to have to have a seam.

The ATMA Travelear was a build I saw here it has about a 50 page write up. I’m sure you’ll remember it when you see it. The build looks very similar to yours. Which is very nice BTW.

David
wysedav
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Aguyfromohio » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:29 am

For our build we used pre-painted aluminum, not anodized.
But I did spend a huge amount of time seeking a source for sheets bigger than 4 x 8, we really wanted seamless skin on the sidewalls.
I only found one outfit that seems focused on the auto racing community, selling over-sized painted sheets so people can have seamless skins on their race cars haulers.
In the end we went with smaller sheets and seams.

Big sheets of aluminum are one of those items that industry can get easily for a truckload, but that hobbyists almost can't get at all in small quantities.
Anodize finish is a less common than mill finish or pre-painted so it's probably even harder to find in over-sized sheets.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby MatBirch » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:09 pm

Try different resources. I work for a Truck Body and trailer manufacturer. We keep 5x10 in stock. We don’t advertise, but I know we’ve sold to the public before.
Maybe check for someone like that in your area?
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Return to General Discussion