Murphys law

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Murphys law

Postby pinkelephant » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:12 pm

Started a week long camping vacation and on day one I was holding a plastic footlocker and my 6yo daughter got her toes under the heel of my bad knee and laid me flat on the ground with new knee problems. Within an hour I called my company and got another week off, called and cancelled my reservations and made an appt at the orthopedic clinic for tuesday. My knee is mostly better but I'm sitting my butt at home and making sure I can still make money.
Only upside is my wife told me I can buy a camper. Shocked the crap out of me.
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Re: Murphys law

Postby Squigie » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:17 am

Sorry to hear that.
Hopefully things improve rapidly.

I suffered a shorter-lived, but similar fate last year.
Family vacation. Got a free 3.5-day stay in a timeshare 'condo' at the ski resort where everyone was gathering.
Another family in my extended family had the other 3.5 days of the week.
It worked out really well, as my son and I had scout camp the morning after we had to check out. (He's a scout. I'm a leader.)

As I was loading all of our crap into a bellhop cart to check out and head home, I pulled something in my back. I knew something bad had happened, but the true nature of the injury didn't manifest for a few more minutes ... after I had done more damage by stretching what seemed like a bad cramp, and loading more of the excessive amount of crap we had there.

I tore a muscle quite badly.
A doctor, a PA, a physical therapist, and three nurses (all family) checked me out, drugged me up, iced me, greased me up (Icy Hot, I believe), and ordered me to bed rest. (There would have been a pharmacist, too, but he was out trying to pet a moose...)
I couldn't do anything, even if I wanted to. I had to have assistance just to relieve myself. :frightened:
There was no way my wife was going to drive down the canyon we were in (she won't drive canyons, and it's a steep, windy one), let alone subject me to the 4-hour ride home when I could barely sit up without constant severe pain.

Cancelled scout camp. 'Bought' an additional 2 days in the 'condo'. The wife told her employer that she wouldn't be making it back in that week. And I spent two days in bed while the family played.
...Wasn't exactly how I had envisioned my week, and it set my physical therapy (for other back problems) back about a month.
But it could have been worse.

Even when I'm dealt a crappy hand, I try to remember what I still have and consider that it could always be worse.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Re: Murphys law

Postby pinkelephant » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:22 am

Squigie wrote:Sorry to hear that.
Hopefully things improve rapidly.

I suffered a shorter-lived, but similar fate last year.
Family vacation. Got a free 3.5-day stay in a timeshare 'condo' at the ski resort where everyone was gathering.
Another family in my extended family had the other 3.5 days of the week.
It worked out really well, as my son and I had scout camp the morning after we had to check out. (He's a scout. I'm a leader.)

As I was loading all of our crap into a bellhop cart to check out and head home, I pulled something in my back. I knew something bad had happened, but the true nature of the injury didn't manifest for a few more minutes ... after I had done more damage by stretching what seemed like a bad cramp, and loading more of the excessive amount of crap we had there.

I tore a muscle quite badly.
A doctor, a PA, a physical therapist, and three nurses (all family) checked me out, drugged me up, iced me, greased me up (Icy Hot, I believe), and ordered me to bed rest. (There would have been a pharmacist, too, but he was out trying to pet a moose...)
I couldn't do anything, even if I wanted to. I had to have assistance just to relieve myself. :frightened:
There was no way my wife was going to drive down the canyon we were in (she won't drive canyons, and it's a steep, windy one), let alone subject me to the 4-hour ride home when I could barely sit up without constant severe pain.

Cancelled scout camp. 'Bought' an additional 2 days in the 'condo'. The wife told her employer that she wouldn't be making it back in that week. And I spent two days in bed while the family played.
...Wasn't exactly how I had envisioned my week, and it set my physical therapy (for other back problems) back about a month.
But it could have been worse.

Even when I'm dealt a crappy hand, I try to remember what I still have and consider that it could always be worse.

Yep that tops mine, glad it eventually all worked out in the end.
Your story reminds you of a less traumatic one I had a few years back. I don't think of it much because I can barely remember it. When my daughter was about 3 we went to the Philippines to visit my wife's family for Fiesta. I traveled to the other side of the world to help cook three whole hogs on spits (Lechon baboy) and then enjoy the massive Fiesta for 3 days. Before any of that could happen I believe I got bit by the wrong mosquito and got dengue fever. I had all the symptoms and it was going around. Picture being as sick as you could possibly be and then throw gout on top of that with all of your fingertips and toes burning. I spent the whole Fiesta warehoused in a hotel while the family had fun. I had somebody come by twice a day to feed me and bring clean water. I barely remember any of it but what I do remember wasnt good.
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Return to General Discussion