HEAT!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: HEAT!

Postby booyah » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:47 am

tony.latham wrote:
booyah wrote:Sorry I know I've posted about it before, but I wanted to take a second to pimp the best teardrop heater I've found.

If you have 110v seriously look at this little guy
https://www.amazon.com/Ontel-Handy-Heat ... 01L9UKAHM/

its only 400w, but in the limited space of an insulated teardrop, I have kept it a toasty 70 inside below freezing outside. Two speed fan, adjustable temp digital thermostat, its really slick for under $20.

We had the TD out this last weekend when it was getting into the 40s overnight and my daughter didnt pack for the weather, made for a nice place for her to hang out to keep out of the cool.

Seriously considering a second one and doing more mid winter camping.

Are you running this from shore power? If not, how many amps does it draw?

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I run it off shore power, or I'm the strange person who runs the small inverter generator to run heat (Yes I know its horribly inefficient, but I don't like burning stuff in side my TD for heat)

But yes watts are watts no matter watt, so if I ran this off battery, my inverter is about 85% efficient, and is rated for sustained 400w. Figure 60 watts to run the inverter, plus 400 for the heater, divided by 12, so 38a roughly.

My battery is only a group 24 deep cycle (about 75ah) so I could run it for an hour without killing the battery, but I wouldn't want to run it longer! Battery power for heat is a bad idea overall.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:36 pm

Battery power for heat is a bad idea overall.

That's why this little blue propane heater is sitting in the new 'drop:

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby booyah » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:58 am

tony.latham wrote:
Battery power for heat is a bad idea overall.

That's why this little blue propane heater is sitting in the new 'drop:

:thumbsup:

Tony

I love the idea of those little furnaces, seperate heat exchanger, air intake and exhaust, all the good stuff!
I just didnt have the comfort level of "burning stuff inside my camper" when I did my build :lol:

Burning stuff at the end o fa 50ft extension cord behind the car to provide electricity and heat to my camper? Yeah that I am ok with! :thumbsup:
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:16 pm

booyah wrote:I love the idea of those little furnaces, seperate heat exchanger, air intake and exhaust, all the good stuff!
I just didnt have the comfort level of "burning stuff inside my camper" when I did my build
Definitely most, pretty sure all, those "parking heaters" can (should) be located outside the living space.

Propex HS2211 is a great unit if you already carry lpg rather than burning TV's fuel.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:34 pm

I just didnt have the comfort level of "burning stuff inside my camper"

Yeah, like my house. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:00 am

booyah wrote:My battery is only a group 24 deep cycle (about 75ah) so I could run it for an hour without killing the battery, but I wouldn't want to run it longer! Battery power for heat is a bad idea overall.

Battery rated at 75ah: 12v volt 75% of rating (gel or AGM pushed to 65%) at it's deepest point to keep that battery alive & well for years to come. Now 6v's can be pushed to 50%.

I still wouldn't use my Batteries (dual 6v's) to run a heater.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:13 am

tony.latham wrote:

Tony

My propane heater is bigger, yet so is my trailer. And yes, right under the bed. Heats the trailer quickly (about 20 minutes to too hot).

What's the brand and model on you unit? I'd like to research it.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:39 am

RJ Howell wrote:
tony.latham wrote:

Tony

My propane heater is bigger, yet so is my trailer. And yes, right under the bed. Heats the trailer quickly (about 20 minutes to too hot).

What's the brand and model on you unit? I'd like to research it.

It’s a Propex. I don’t recall the model but they only make two. Made in England. They aren’t free.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:21 pm

The propex heater sound great. but on the spendy side. If you are looking for something of a lower cost in a fully vented heater you may want to look at chinese diesel parking heaters $140 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fugacal-Air- ... w0EALw_wcB
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wannabefree » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:19 pm

For winter camping we prefer a warmer climate, but once we stayed in a park and ran our little 200 watt heater off shore power. It kept us from freezing. In the morning we had 4 inches of snow on the roof. 54 degrees inside when we got up.
In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
wannabefree
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion