Hardware part---does it exist ???

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Hardware part---does it exist ???

Postby rinn69 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:02 pm

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've visited this site....BUT, I am getting ready to build a small camper that will fit in the bed of my Ranger. Planning a trip to Alaska in 2021 and going to "rough it"....but having a dry and comfy bed it a must have, hence, this build. I know it's not a teardrop or towable, but I will be using the same basic building techniques and PMF to skin it. I got the main design from a kid that built one on YouTube (Moser Makes).
So, does something like in the pic exist ? I'll be using it to seal a hole in the wood that a threaded knob will go through to hold the side panel to the main body of the camper to help seal it. I'd prefer metal, but plastic may work....it's kinda like a grommet, but will seal the hole. I thought of a coax cable grommet of sorts, but it would be way to small.
Anyone ever seen something like this ??
Attachments
Metal grommet.jpg
Metal grommet.jpg (175.35 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
rinn69
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hardware part---does it exist ???

Postby David H. » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:45 pm

They are called sex nuts (seriously). Do a google image search. They are metal btw
David H.
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rinn69 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:20 pm

David H. wrote:They are called sex nuts (seriously). Do a google image search. They are metal btw

I LOL'ed when I read that, but they do exist.....sex nuts :lol:
They are close to what I need, but the hole goes all the way through....I forgot to draw that part :oops: It would be like welding a washer onto a short piece of tubing, which is what I may end up doing if I can't find them.
rinn69
Teardrop Inspector

Postby David H. » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:06 pm

Tee nuts may be what you need?
David H.
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rinn69 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:34 pm

David H. wrote:Tee nuts may be what you need?

It doesn't need threads. The threaded knob will slip through the "grommet" and screw into a tee nut that is secured on the body of the camper. Maybe this pic will help. The shaded portion is what I'm needing.
Attachments
grommet explanation.jpg
grommet explanation.jpg (167.63 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
rinn69
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rinn69 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:50 pm

Here is the basic side view of the camper. The "skin" is a pc of 5mm "BB plywood" from Menards. It is triangular in shape and I will add a runner/stiffener (a 1x2) to the skin that runs the length from front to back so I can secure it to the main body of the camper along the "top stringer" in the pic below. I hope this helps explain it better :)
Attachments
camper side view.png
camper side view.png (249.89 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
rinn69
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nodrog » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:12 am

Hey rinn! Looks like a fun camper. He has 3 videos, did you watch them all? On the 3rd @7 min. in, he talks about the area you are wondering about. Look at it! He is plainly using these screw on T nuts...https://www.amazon.com/Screw-Tee-Nuts-T ... B001DT5KNE . If you have some wood to screw into. There are also small "threaded inserts" available that have threads on the inside and wood screw on the outside. Those would hold pretty well, I think. I believe that something mounted on outside of the skin would keep any water out just fine, instead of using a t nut where the fastener penetrates the wall. When closed the overlap will keep water out, of course.
Check out the third video! The thumbscrews are available in lots of variety on amazon too. Best wishes....Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby rinn69 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:43 am

Nodrog wrote:Hey rinn! Looks like a fun camper. He has 3 videos, did you watch them all? On the 3rd @7 min. in, he talks about the area you are wondering about. Look at it! He is plainly using these screw on T nuts...https://www.amazon.com/Screw-Tee-Nuts-T ... B001DT5KNE . If you have some wood to screw into. There are also small "threaded inserts" available that have threads on the inside and wood screw on the outside. Those would hold pretty well, I think. I believe that something mounted on outside of the skin would keep any water out just fine, instead of using a t nut where the fastener penetrates the wall. When closed the overlap will keep water out, of course.
Check out the third video! The thumbscrews are available in lots of variety on amazon too. Best wishes....Nodrog

The kid did a really good job on them. There are actually 5 videos and I've watched all of them at least 3 or 4 times trying to figure out a few details. Maybe I am over engineering it with the do-hickey I drew at the beginning of the thread.....maybe I'll just slop some paint in the hole, and use a rubber washer on the threaded knob :thinking: . I don't want to build it and then end up repairing water damage down the road. I did find a "GromEx" metal sleeve used in composite construction, but no price listed, which usually means they're expensive....
A big thanks to you and David H for the input !!!!!
rinn69
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Squigie » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:29 am

I would call that a 'flanged bushing' or 'shouldered sleeve', for lack of a specific term. (Both of which are available from hardware suppliers, but not in the size you desire.)
But...

I don't think you don't need the 'shank' portion for this application, which leaves just a large fender washer remaining.
The amount of 'sealing' being done by the part, as drawn, would be minimal and insufficient, in my opinion. Sealant would still be required. So, why not just use fender washers and sealant, and call it good?
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby wannabefree » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:48 pm

2 ideas: When I want something weird, I go to mcmaster.com. If it is made, they have it. The other thought is this would be simple to make; weld or braze a piece of 1/4 inch pipe to a fender washer. You probably don't weld, but there are guys out there just itching for a chance to fire up that 2700 degree torch and burn, I mean melt, some metal.

Cheers
In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
wannabefree
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion