Question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Question

Postby just638507 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:48 am

Thanks that's why I ask.What I don't see is quite obvious to you.But my cousin looked at the pictures last night and said you would be buying something the scrap yard would not even take.For me I must learn to look at the whole picture and not the price.He called me this mourning and said I could have it for 200 dollars my answer was no thanks.And most of all I need to be patient.
just638507
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dahlia47 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:22 am

Is there something specific you have in mind that you would like? Such as size? Amenities? Storage?
Amenities being potty, sink, black/grey/clean water, stove, shower, bed, height of the ceiling, towing capacity of your vehicle? Are there must-haves? Anything youre willing to go without? How long do you think your average trip will be?
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby Modstock » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:44 pm

The camping season is almost over for most. Dont be in a hurry and save your money, you'll be glad you did.

Buying a trailer is like buying a boat, most are junk. Find one that's been stored inside since day one.

You'll probably pass on a hundred or more to find that diamond especially in Florida.

A place I worked at, people would bring us there tent trailer and want new canvas but walked away after the quote. Wasn't worth it to them.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dahlia47 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:06 pm

My husband and I looked for a couple of years. I like things that are unique and I can put my personality on. Make it my own. Husband likes grandeur. But I'm also a cheap ass. He likes to spend. But he also is not as outdoorsy as me. I didn't like anything I saw. I contemplated building my own. Luckily I found the one we have now. I love the darn thing! Lol!

I have heard the canvases are expensive to repair. Not easy either. They can tear easily. If they aren't stored properly, the canvases rot.

What you may want to do is look at is an enclosed cargo trailer. Add things as you go. I've seen people put a fold out bed or fold out futon. Then add a cabinet with a sink. Then add a small potty and make shift shower. I added things one by one. Im self employed and dont make a lot if money. I enjoy the work amd freedom, just the pay is low. I'll post some you tube links in a bit.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby just638507 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:19 pm

Dahlia47 wrote:Is there something specific you have in mind that you would like? Such as size? Amenities? Storage?
Amenities being potty, sink, black/grey/clean water, stove, shower, bed, height of the ceiling, towing capacity of your vehicle? Are there must-haves? Anything youre willing to go without? How long do you think your average trip will be?

Not looking for anything special.I think I could rig up a makeshift shower with a privacy tent and I can use a porta potty.Iam retired so due to funds I would say a trip for me would be about 5 days.If I can just go out say two three day weekends a month would make me happy just to get away from everything.A good coleman stove would be fine for cooking I am easy to please The only so call amenity would be a tv.
just638507
Teardrop Inspector

Postby just638507 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:25 pm

Dahlia47 wrote:My husband and I looked for a couple of years. I like things that are unique and I can put my personality on. Make it my own. Husband likes grandeur. But I'm also a cheap ass. He likes to spend. But he also is not as outdoorsy as me. I didn't like anything I saw. I contemplated building my own. Luckily I found the one we have now. I love the darn thing! Lol!

I have heard the canvases are expensive to repair. Not easy either. They can tear easily. If they aren't stored properly, the canvases rot.

What you may want to do is look at is an enclosed cargo trailer. Add things as you go. I've seen people put a fold out bed or fold out futon. Then add a cabinet with a sink. Then add a small potty and make shift shower. I added things one by one. Im self employed and dont make a lot if money. I enjoy the work amd freedom, just the pay is low. I'll post some you tube links in a bit.

Some people said I would hate it but a cargo trailer is something that might work.Iam not trying to work my way towards an airstream one day.Just a nice little basic trailer that works for me.I was only looking at popups because a few neighbors and friends said it could be a cheap way to go.And at my age I don't know if I would get frustrated with setting up and taking down a popup.
just638507
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:55 am

just638507 wrote:Some people said I would hate it but a cargo trailer is something that might work.Iam not trying to work my way towards an airstream one day.Just a nice little basic trailer that works for me.I was only looking at popups because a few neighbors and friends said it could be a cheap way to go.And at my age I don't know if I would get frustrated with setting up and taking down a popup.

I do hear ya! I'm also retired and have a commercial travel trailer. My next will be one I build, since I have plenty of time to do so. I've owned a pop-up and loved it back in the day, yet now 'of age', I don't wish to set it up/break it down.. I see most cargo trailer can be a standie, yet pretty darn tall to haul. I have a lift top design in mind that would only require releasing 4 catches and the spring arms lift the top. It would then tow lowered and more aerodynamic. I still have a way to go on the design, yet would work for us.

Been following to see what you end up building!

My current build is my Sleeper Top to learn about this foam construction.

Here's where I'm currently at on the build.

Image. Image

I'm impressed with how strong and easy this foam construction is. If so interested, my build thread is here: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=71879

Now, I'm no sewing Pro, yet working with canvas (duck cloth actually) really isn't that tough. Ripstop nylon would be so much easier IMHO.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dahlia47 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:34 pm

I'm thinking something with four walls, a ceiling, floor, and wheels will be perfect for you. Something solid. Put a bed and something with drawers. This link here, the guy lives in a van, but he started off so basic. A bed, plastic bin drawers, icebox, burner, and rugs. You may be able to simplify the bed. Some people with their small cargo trailers start off adding just these basics. Just a mattress either on the floor like others I've seen, or a simple frame secured to the floor. And as many have said here before, they start with one upgrade and keep adding and switching things around as they go. I know I have lol!

youtube.com/watch?v=3xdciQuY19I
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby just638507 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:14 pm

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 861385536/
Still just looking.This is the stuff that people send to me I might or might not look at it.Iam supposed to look at a few cargo vans tomorrow.
just638507
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:44 am

JMHO… For a first camper , get something Cheap and Simple , because you’ll Always find something much better … After you buy the first one… ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby just638507 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:24 am

GPW wrote:JMHO… For a first camper , get something Cheap and Simple , because you’ll Always find something much better … After you buy the first one… ;)

You got a good point.I just showed that ad because I do like the looks of the little teardrop.And I just said I would make an offer and possibly cross my fingers find the leak and seal it.
just638507
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dahlia47 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:47 am

I think it's great! Seal the leak, throw a mattress, pillow and blankets, off you go! Let us know if they accept your offer!

Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby just638507 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:52 am

I talked to him we agreed to 600 if no one else gets it.He is going out of town he leaves Friday.If I get it you can see it needs a right tail light lens or replace the whole unit.And see if I can get somebody or I might be able to put a vent on top.Dahlia a lot of people tell me like you said get it and go from there.In other words find one decent at a cheap price and repair and do the mods you want to do and in no time you will have what you want.I just can't go look at it today because he is 90 miles away and there will be severe thunderstorms all day and evening.
just638507
Teardrop Inspector

Postby just638507 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:04 pm

Missed it couldn't go yesterday because the thunder storms were like a hurricane so I didn't want to get on the road.He contacted me this am and said a guy came by and wanted it.So that's ok I told him iam glad he made his sale.Because his location was over a hundred miles away.So now back to searching.
just638507
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:24 pm

When fixing a leaky trailer , we found it was a “Good Thing” to cover the plywood with a fabric “skin” and then painted … ( as done in the Foamie section) It really helps with any leaking especially if seams are double covered … ;) Old bedsheets , burlap bags , floor cloth canvas , whatever … Just saying !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion