Before I put the cover on for the winter...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Before I put the cover on for the winter...

Postby SailingTD » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:18 pm

This will be my first winter with our Little Guy 5 wide (2005). I am in Colorado so we will have snow. I have a PahaQue cover for it. Before I put the cover on it, what recommendations for prepping either the outside or the inside for winter? I don't have a water tank and the battery is in the garage. Thanks
Ad nullum consurgit opus, cum corpore languet
SailingTD
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Before I put the cover on for the winter...

Postby NevadaBlue » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:44 pm

I will be watching for suggestions.

I hate to think about winterizing anything. We get periods of nice weather (like 40s at night) in February sometimes. My trailer isn’t finished, but I hope to use it at least some during winter.
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Postby Squigie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:51 pm

My basic rules for travel/camp trailers and RVs:
(For Idaho/Utah/Wyoming climatic conditions with prolonged periods of below freezing temps, and lows of up to -40 F possible.)

Wash and clean thoroughly.
Lube moving parts (hinges, locks, etc.).
Cover any exterior points of entry, if stored outside. (Heater exhaust, fan vents, etc.)
Double check to remove all food and traces of food.
Remove all freezables.
Pump the water system full of antifreeze, if so equipped.
Close 'er up, lock 'er up, wrap 'er up, and put 'er to bed.

If possible/desirable, put the frame or axle on blocks, so the tires don't flat-spot or get pinched if there's a slow leak.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:04 am

We learned to put in a couple small ANT traps ( poison) as we have ants here that LOVE trailers … :frightened:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:30 am

Trailer site said to toss in some Irish Spring bar soap, unwrapped I assume. It annoys rodents etc and they leave or do not enter.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby TimC » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:26 am

Seriously... I put an occasional chunk of cat poop under the TD on the ground. Haven't had mouse problems for four winters. Ant traps are probably a good idea even though I doubt ants will be on the move once the temps drop.

If there's room, put two or three (or more) pool noodles under the cover to provide ventilation space. Covers leak, and if they don't leak they are probably too air tight and block ventilation. Just like your home, ventilation is critical to keeping mold and mildew at bay.

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:13 pm

Irish Spring and mice???

:?

One consideration: Do something with your pigtail. I cover mine with a sandwich bag and tape it upside down to the jack.

:oops:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:57 pm

tony.latham wrote:Irish Spring and mice???

:?

Tony

This is very disappointing! I just bought some Irish Spring a week ago, intending to cut the bars up on my band saw and stick them around the basement. (I was sitting at the workbench, soldering, one evening when a couple of mice used the plastic water pipe above me as a trail!) I may put it out anyway. At least we'll have cleaner, better smelling mice.

This stuff seems to work in our Jeep:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016P3HJA4/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The mice liked to nest between the battery and fuse box. Chewed on the wires and did a few hundred dollars in damage. As long as we replace the mint every few months, we haven't had problems. Since somebody got into my glove box and chewed up some napkins, I've kept one in there too, and now the Jeep has a faint mint smell! They are much more expensive than Irish Spring though.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:36 pm

This is very disappointing!

I know.

In my previous house, I had a mouse problem in my shop and plumbing closet. I solved it with a mixture of Quaker Oats and plaster (Durham's Rock Putty). Dry, no water. No mice.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:14 pm

I have read and also been told - "Dryer Lint" sheets deter mice/rat's from 'visiting'.... can't really say they work?? but after a rat got up inside my PU's air-filter - chewing it up a few years ago, I did put a couple under the hood and never had any more problems.... and yes after a good engine warm-up, I was getting a nice 'Snuggle Orange Rush' smell with a ...."Sunkissed Breeze scent".... when I opened the hood - just as the box of dryer lint sheets said I would.................... :FNP was also told this was suppose to stop them from chewing on the wiring also .............
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Squigie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:53 pm

I forgot about the batteries.
I currently only have one, but multiples used to get handled the same way.

My batteries go in the garage for the winter, initially get charged on a deep cycle charger, and then get hooked up to a solar trickle charger in the window.
The garage gets pretty danged cold, but it usually stays above 10 F, even in the deepest freezes.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:03 am

I pull anythng that shouldn't freeze, battery comes in the house. I then add additional blankets a longer extension cord in case the snow means I have to park a few feet further from the electric (I am not that hardy, I like to warn it up before bed) and get ready to go winter camping. I keep my tear in the garage so I don't cover it.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:32 pm

So, back to the sub-thread about what repels mice and rats: We had good luck with the mint against the mice up here. Well, a pack rat decided to build a nest in the Taco, and took one of the full Victor mint drop holders to keep in the nest.

I tried some used cat litter and a sliver of Irish Spring. The rat is okay with the cat litter, but either ate or discarded the soap.

He (or she) is building the nest on a flat spot. Maybe a ball of barbed wire will annoy?

The oatmeal and plaster of paris is beginning to sound good. We're sort of bothered by rodents' suffering, but not nearly as much as I'll be bothered if my wallet suffers due to chewed wires!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:42 am

* Mouse and Rat problem solvers:
  • 1) I've used dryer sheets & Irish Spring with some success in the Chevelle race car in the garage,
  • 2) used moth balls tucked into tight spaces under the hood in our outdoor-only vehicles, (also deters squirrels, without harming them),
  • 3) nothing needed inside the air-tight TTT, also in the garage, except for De-Con pellet trays around the perimeter, and
  • 4) having free-range copperheads in garage and outdoors always keeps the rodent population down, too.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Wellcraft290 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:09 pm

haven't owned a rv yet but owned many boats and would do the following

remove the battery and bring inside to trickle charge. don't leave on concrete
antifreeze water systems
wash wax
put some kind of water absorber. gel packs or bags to absorb humidity
Wellcraft290
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to General Discussion