Keeping Things In Place!?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Keeping Things In Place!?

Postby Dahlia47 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:42 pm

I have been wondering how to keep things from flying all over the TT while we are in motion. I have a couple things that are kept in place with bungee cords. Works for those few things. But what other ways have you found that help keep things from going airborne? Such as small appliances, dishes, cups, KNIVES! Pillows, potty (empty), pans. I don't have an enclosed storage space for these things. How have you kept other items from flying around?
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: Keeping Things In Place!?

Postby edgeau » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:22 pm

I pulled apart some old computer drives to get really powerful magnets. I mounted them on the inside of the hatch lining and all the knives etc stick up there even while travelling. Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Re: It's that time again...

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:15 pm

"A place for everything and everything in its place"
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:28 pm

I've hit rough spots on the interstate that sent the trailer in the air! I'm not sure any practical method can keep things in place if they are not packed away in a box and bolted down but here is an idea.

Bungee. Stretch bungee over the front of a shelf so cans and stuff are held in place. A bungee net used on the sides or the hatch can hold things from flying around. We place a bunch of full totes and chairs and a canopy on the bed. I have thought a pickup bed bungee net would be good to stretch over the gear to keep it in place on those rough roads.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:55 pm

Here is how we plan to keep books in place:

158740 158741 158746 158744

The bookcase is above the headboard, over a utility compartment in the teardrop we're building. The front pole is fixed and is supposed to keep books from tipping forward onto the bed when we accelerate. The back pole is adjustable to the largest books, and is supposed to keep the books from crushing against the headliner when we brake. The two side partitions are adjustable, but with a lot of friction against the front pole. The idea is to pinch the books in. Shelly's hair clips keep them from vibrating loose (we hope).

Only problem is, we haven't tried it yet. Should be ready for test camping this Spring.

BTW, I really like the magnets in the galley hatch! Wish I'd known of that before covering ours. Even if it turned out stuff vibrated loose while traveling (and not saying it does), it's a good way to keep utensils handy in camp. :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:13 pm

:thinking:

I think the torsion axle and radial tires help a lot. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:37 pm

Not TDs, but in my current and previous trailers, I usually put pots and pans in storage compartments where I could pack them in (with paper towels, towels, spare bedding, bags of chips, etc.). In a TD, I'd probably design galley drawers to keep them contained.

"Good" knives are never left in the trailer(s). They get packed with the non-refrigerated food, so they can be properly cared for when I get home.
But the 'camping' knives are cheap grocery store paring knives that my wife and I usually keep in a zip-top bag, which is then stuck to a magnet in whichever compartment makes the most sense. (And has the least danger of slicing fingers with a blind reach-in and feel-around.) Or, they go in one of the following, depending upon how we're repacking the trailer for a given trip:
Miscellaneous cooking utensils go in a utensil organizer tray, that lives inside a 2-gallon zip-top bag, inside a drawer; or inside a Sterilite latching 'shoe' storage container. (This: https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-6-qt-clearview-latch-box-clear-with-purple-latches/-/A-13794493. But I buy them in the 36-pack from other sources.)
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:18 pm

A spot for everything.

KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Modstock » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:13 am

We use 2 of those latching storage containers. One for dry food and the other for dishware.
Also the cooler goes in the tow rig. Too bouncy for drinks, etc.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:17 pm

Modstock wrote:We use 2 of those latching storage containers. One for dry food and the other for dishware. Also the cooler goes in the tow rig. Too bouncy for drinks, etc....

* I rely on latching storage containers, also. I now use five large ones (two inside the truck bed, three strapped to racks on the trailer), along with an exterior-mounted ammo box (for bungee cord storage...I use a lot of them!), and a long sealed pvc tube with locking cap (for fishing gear). Otherwise, most everything would be tossed loosely into truck bed and trailer cabin, tangling up, and taking hours to sort at camp, while setting-up. Since I carry along much too much stuff, organizing my storage has been a real problem for years, but now it's solved. Everything has a place, and I can actually find items that were misplaced before. I should probably make an inventory list, and attach it to the wall inside the cabin, now that I'm older!
master storage scheme, 11-6-2019.jpg
way too much stuff demands a lot of storage options
master storage scheme, 11-6-2019.jpg (358.53 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to General Discussion