What did you do today

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What did you do today

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:13 am

Playing with fire! Well burning lamps that is. Built a couple bright betties to test fuels and wicks and like the mason jar container! We're working out using olive oil as the fuel as it is pleasant to the nose!

Image Image

Liking my carbon cloth wicks best! Not much difference in diameter of wick so I'll stick to 1/4". I tested up to 3/4" round and it seemed I was just burning fuel without 3x's the light.. If I adapted to flat I would expect a bigger difference in light.

All this was leading up to the kerosine lamp conversion I did. This is also setup now for olive oil. Heres the flat wick in action!

Again the carbon cloth is the choice for wick. Been debating a smaller glass chimney, but the size is growing on me! Think it's good proportion for the wide base. Te carbon cloth is a bit thick for the lamp burner and I have to work that out, yet all else is great so far! I'm looking forward to a timed burn and see just how long the 1/2 pint lasts!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:18 am

Built a couple bright betties to test fuels and wicks and like the mason jar container!

RJ: I'm almost surprised it'll stay lit in the jar without having a hole drilled to let air in.

Nice!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:27 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Built a couple bright betties to test fuels and wicks and like the mason jar container!

RJ: I'm almost surprised it'll stay lit in the jar without having a hole drilled to let air in.

Nice!

Tony

The down flow of air is to be considered of how to wick. Notice the wick is in a copper tube and not exposed above the fuel source. I had flame jump before I realized my mistake... I also think these would look real cool in a wide mouth pint size mason jar! My next little experiment.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:58 pm

I had flame jump before I realized my mistake...

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:23 pm

Participated in the 300metre shoot at the range on Saturday morning. 328 yards for those who still use Imperial measurements.
Sure seems a long way when you are trying to 55grn of lead in a four inch circle.
I managed a score of 163.2

163.2 means I managed to score 163 points, with 2 rounds right in the centre of the bulls eye (there's a 1" white patch called the X)
If anyone gets 200.20, it means they put all 20 rounds right into the 1" white patch in the middle of the bullseye.
A 7 year old girl, 4th generation target shooter, managed a 198.11. She only missed the bullseye once, and put 11 rounds in the X.
Future Olympic shooter, I think.
300 metres.JPG
300 metres.JPG (120.93 KiB) Viewed 1470 times

Future Olympian.JPG
Future Olympian.JPG (97.45 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Modstock » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:41 pm

Makes me wanna bust out the VR80 shotgun tomorrow . We have some pumpkins to shoot.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:59 am

Future Olympic shooter, I think.

The look on her face!! "Come on, ain't that hard.." LOL
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Modstock » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:18 am

Went out today. Had 6 pumpkins to shoot at. It's been about a year since I last used it and installed a recoil suppressing buttstock with pistol grip.
Definitely looks like a AR now.
I didn't notice any difference in the buttstock, my shoulder is still bruised.
Used up a box of 1500fps and 1350.
On the way out I took the truck through one of my favorite trails. 1st time I've off road'ed the truck. Did well, same drivetrain as a grand Cherokee.
The trail was washed out towards the end. Had to reverse and take a early exit.
Also used my new Napa air compressor. It's a double head unit for faster air up . Gotta keep the truck running while using cause it'll drain the battery pretty quick.

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:27 am

Modstock wrote:Went out today. Had 6 pumpkins to shoot at. It's been about a year since I last used it and installed a recoil suppressing buttstock with pistol grip.
Definitely looks like a AR now.
I didn't notice any difference in the buttstock, my shoulder is still bruised.
Used up a box of 1500fps and 1350.
On the way out I took the truck through one of my favorite trails. 1st time I've off road'ed the truck. Did well, same drivetrain as a grand Cherokee.
The trail was washed out towards the end. Had to reverse and take a early exit.
Also used my new Napa air compressor. It's a double head unit for faster air up . Gotta keep the truck running while using cause it'll drain the battery pretty quick.

I googled that shotty. Looks like it'd be a whole lotta fun.
I'm a bit surprised the recoil is a bit shoulder bruising.
Generally, 12g doesn't scare me.
On the other hand, a friend of my father had a 20g that was definitely inhabited by demons.
Us kids quickly learned to choose the 12 bore instead.
Still a bit iffy about 20g shotguns to this very day.
What sorta truck you running?
My new dream truck is this Dodge Power Wagon.
A few months ago, I'd never heard of them, now I'd consider swapping one of the children for one. They are just the coolest thing I've ever seen.
Power wagon.jpg
Power wagon.jpg (160.68 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:03 am

MickinOz wrote:My new dream truck is this Dodge Power Wagon.
A few months ago, I'd never heard of them, now I'd consider swapping one of the children for one. They are just the coolest thing I've ever seen.

That Warn winch looks like the one I installed on our Jeep. If so, it has an air compressor too. Used the compressor a lot more than the winch, but often grateful to have both. Not sure you can get those anymore.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Modstock » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:31 am

It's a 2001 Dodge Dakota. V8, auto, 231 t-case. Usually it's my tow rig but wanted to test out it's capabilities in 4low . The washout made a deep channel down the center of the trail and didn't want to slide in and get wedged. Image

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:48 pm

Added two shelves above our washer and dryer, including one that is extra deep, made up of two pieces of closet shelf that were in our scrap wood pile. Made a frame to hold them together and primed them with marine primer left over from our teardrop build. Found the brown paint in our cabinet, and the chain in the junk pile. Can't see it in the picture, but I included an under-counter light from the many I bought as a lot from the surplus store back before the Covid thing. So total cost: $0. :thumbsup:

We will use it for our spare blankets. At the moment we have no spare blankets. :snowstorm:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:29 pm

Yesterday, before shoveling snow in the afternoon, I added some shelves to hold my book shelf speakers

172792 172793

These are down in my basement electronics shop, so they had to look extra nice...er, rustic! As you can see, they were built right into the wall separating the back room from the wood shop (where I have another set of speakers hanging on the peg-board).

I used a board from the crates the teardrop doors were shipped in. I can see the edge of the tree (peeled) on both sides, and so I believe it is what the saw mills call a slab (as well as the piece that was outermost from this one, which would be all tree edge). Lower price for the crate company. The ironic thing though is that because it is far from the core, the wood is nice and straight. Must have been a small tree--this was just 5 1/2 inches wide. The tree couldn't have been more than about 10 or 12 inches in diameter, judging by the curve in the rings. Probably fast grown at a tree farm. Eminently suitable for the job!

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:56 pm

A few days ago*, Shelly gave me a wonderful Christmas present: A shop vac! Because, A. We give each other our presents when they arrive, not on Christmas day (whenever that is), 2. I don't have enough shop vacs**, and III. It's tacky to give your wife cleaning tools/supplies for Christmas, but it's okay for wives to give them to husbands, but only if they're for the work shop. :D

Actually this one runs off of a battery (happens to be Ryobi's in this case) and it's intended for our off-grid garage. After testing, I can say we get at least 20 minutes out of our battery (probably more--but who wants to vacuum more?) and the suction is about as strong as the 120 vac shop vacs. At this point, I think pretty much any tool we would plan to use down in our garage can run off of portable tool rechargable batteries, and so there seems to be no point in building a solar electrical system with inverter. That's a bit disappointing for the engineer in me. :( But it is one less major system that can fail around here. :)

Still could use some good LED lighting down there, so I suppose I can design a system based on that. :thumbsup:

Tom

* I know the title of this thread is "What did you do today", but I was too busy to post that day. At the moment, I'm waiting for glue to dry.

** I've bought at least three more since the picture was taken. I plan to have one plumbed to each tool with a port someday.
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:13 pm

Made a case for my 1991 Delco car radio

The wood is Baltic birch, salvaged from a box I'd made for the electrical stuff on the teardrop. Made it about two inches too deep and when we tried to close the hatch....well, I'd rather not think about it. Anyway, I had a can of gloss varnish already opened, so that's what I used here.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion