I'm Not Exactly A Prepper...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

I'm Not Exactly A Prepper...

Postby Dahlia47 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:59 pm

But I do like to have extra on hand just in case. We grew up pretty poor. 4 kids and one cereal box, half-gallon milk...I was lucky to get one pair of shoes for the year. Extra is always good! Whether you keep extra on hand for loss of a job, ill health, accident, bad weather or a flood. Here in South Central Texas, we have floods, tornadoes, tropical storms. I got stranded in my house on a hill during a flood in 1998. Thank God I had extra food. My son had just turned 3. Horrible flood!
Anyway, what items would you have ready to go in your travel trailer/ teardrop if you are or were a prepper?

With recent events, it just got me thinking???
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: I'm Not Exactly A Prepper...

Postby twisted lines » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:08 pm

I asked my wife for a pair of pantyhose's, for a mask a few days ago but again she said no :)
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:10 pm

Here in rural New Mexico, in the middle of a pinion and juniper forest, the obvious emergency that requires evacuation is wild fire. A few years ago, some friends came up and stayed at our house for a week while their's was at risk.

So we plan for a week or so bug-out, with the intention of staying in their driveway, or perhaps with Shelly's family in town.

Incidentally, it's really important to rotate supplies. We just found some Hatch canned green chili stew in the back of our pantry that was "best by" 2010, four years before I met Shelly. I've been eating it for lunch, and think it's still good (enough for a quarantine), but it would have been better to have rotated the supplies.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:15 pm

:lol: :applause: @ twisted
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:26 am

I'm of the opinion that it's an individual responsibility to have some amount of planning for a rainy day. Always have a savings account & a bit of cash on hand, weapons & ammo, plenty of food & water, things like that add to peace of mind. It isn't crazy to want to have a level of personal safety & awareness, just prudent. Too many people live hand-to-mouth in general & times like this show why it's not really a good idea. It's not what you make, it's what you spend...
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Squigie » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:10 am

No food. No beverages.
That just invites problems with rodentia.
On-hand and available, but never stored in the trailer.

Food, water, medicine, and personal items aside...
I never leave town (even if driving to another city) without at least one firearm, a shovel, an axe, a 12v air compressor, some form of tire patch kit, a chain and/or tow strap, tire chains (Oct-June), 550 cord, 1/2" rope, cargo straps, two knives, a bundle of assorted zip-ties, two lighters, a blanket (or six), a hoodie, plastic sheeting, stainless steel tape, water-proof pants, and an inflatable swimming pool (or three).

Those last two might sound a bit odd, but there are reasons.
Water-proof pants are for those oh-so-convenient times when something goes wrong while it's raining, snowing, or just muddy and nasty. ...Like the rock that flipped up and got jammed in the brake caliper during a snow storm, last year. Keeping my butt dry helps retain sanity and lets me focus on the problem, instead of trying to find ways to avoid the filth and wetness. I almost always have an extra shirt, hoodie, and/or jacket. I rarely have a change of pants, when those things happen.
Twice, I've had things happen (like accidentally ripping the crotch out) that required me to ditch my pants and just wear the water-proof pants, to avoid a public indecency issue...

The inflatable swimming pool... They're cheap and compact, but adaptable. I buy them at the end of summer, when everything is on clearance.
Primary reason: Idaho is a roadkill salvage state. If I see a fresh opportunity to restock the freezer, at someone else's unfortunate expense, I take advantage of it. The swimming pool keeps quarters or de-boned meat from sliding around in the truck, and/or blood from ruining the interior of our other vehicles. It also provides easy means for icing the meat, if necessary.

Secondary reason: More than once, I have cut up one of the inflatable pools to patch other people's tents or tent trailers. (My trailers and tent bags always have sewing kits with good UV-resistant thread.) Although never to be used as anything but temporary, the swimming pool material is far more durable and tear-resistant than plastic sheeting, cheap tarps, and run-of-the-mill, nasty duct tape.
Twice, we've used the inflatable rings for water transport from a spring.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion