The Bed!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

The Bed!

Postby Dahlia47 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:09 am

I am looking for an easier bed. The bed I have right now kills may back. It's not my spine it's my muscles.
Right now It is 2 pieces of plywood. One slides over the other to turn into a couch, then pull the top one out and you have a bed. I need to make this process easier. I've looked at videos and sites and they are really involved modifications. I just need it to slide easier. And the quick lift up of the plywood to slide it on the other piece to turn it into a couch, I'm going to pull a muscle and hurt myself. I don't want to and cant hurt my back. Any ideas out there in Tiny Travel Trailer Land?
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: The Bed!

Postby Modstock » Thu May 21, 2020 9:43 pm

Maybe find some way to make it slide easier (like a felt or thin plastic sheet underneath) and make some straps long enough that you dont have to bend over while pulling it out.
Got any pics ?

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GTS225 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:26 am

Sounds like what you want is something like this.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... HQAAAAAQBw

Sorry for the big link. :roll: I've seen those in the box at Walmart, but the dimensions are close to 6' wide, which pretty much rules out most tears. :cry: (The arm rests are what pushes it to that width.)
I'm giving some thought to seeing if my sis-in-law could sew something up as covers for some foam bolsters that I carve out. I have 60" of width, so it would be perfect for a queen size. I think a fold-and-tumble like that would be the cat's meow for a teardrop. :thumbsup:

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby swoody126 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:04 am

here is an option to consider

OIP.M_BPYdEz_VcLEzEnJ8_2BgHaFj.jpeg
OIP.M_BPYdEz_VcLEzEnJ8_2BgHaFj.jpeg (12.76 KiB) Viewed 1585 times

not necessarily exactly butt the concept ot the fingers sliding in n out between each other

BON CHANCE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri May 22, 2020 9:25 am

I think of all the commercial teardrop builders (and there are several great ones) Vistabule has set the bar. :thumbsup:

If you scroll over to about the 9-minute mark, you can get a glimpse of how Bert does it with his wonderful little campers.

You can't really see too many details but there are other videos out there that feature Vistabule that may.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Fri May 22, 2020 10:21 am

Without some pics or a good description it is difficult to understand what you have now. Modstock's suggestion of straps to pull is a good one. I also like ways to make the two halfs of the bed slide easier. Paste wax on the friction points is the easiest. Rolling elements are the best. Wheels, bearings or captured marbles to roll on.

Where is the friction? If it is two big flat pieces of plywood sliding on each other, wax and plastic sheet may help.

Are you adverse to redesigning your couch/bed? A buddy made a similar design but instead of sliding, the seat portion was hinged at the front. The seat lifted and sat on the floor, the back of the seat hitting the floor becoming the support for the outside of the bed. The cushions need to be removed and replaced for this to be changed bed to couch and back.

Tt

Tony posted while my daughter came by. The bed by Vistabule was something like I was trying to come up with one time. I wanted to make a comfy sitting space for rainy/stormy weather. We bought a futon cushion for our mattress so I thought it could very well be a couch as well.
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby lfhoward » Fri May 22, 2020 6:44 pm

Could piano hinges solve it for you?

My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:57 am

The type of bed he has is a simple one. Two plywood sheets stacked when the mattress is bent in half to form a sitting area. Usually there are a couple storage areas to the forward side to that support the top piece of plywood when it is pulled forward for the bed base followed by the mattress.

If you wish to switch it from couch to bed more easily, I suggest getting some of those sliders used for heavy appliances and putting them on the underside of the top piece of plywood. As noted an air mattress should make it more comfortable but you will have to deflate-inflate every time you switch. Another option would be two parallel pieces of foam mattress stacked or placed parallel as needed.

Pulling that top piece out was never a problem for me, lI slept alone and left it in the "single mode topped with a sleeping bag.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby philpom » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:06 am

I'm planning to use one of these in queen size for our build. Goes flat for a bed and folds up for a sofa. No frame, rail etc and has a washable cover.

We want a place to sit inside and be comfy in the event of bad weather.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-Portable-High-Density/dp/B01INZBCJG/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=folding+bed+mat&qid=1594569029&sprefix=folding+bed&sr=8-8
philpom
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion