Spare hub?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Spare hub?

Postby MatBirch » Tue May 26, 2020 9:31 am

Getting close to being roadworthy with my build. One of the tasks tackled this past weekend was dealing with my hubs and brakes. They appeared to be in pretty rough shape, but the hubs themselves cleaned up well. The backing plates and brakes are definitely getting replaced. One thought was just going ahead and replace everything, and keeping one of the old hubs as spare to carry along, with new bearings and seal, pre greased and ready to go.
I’m not normally one to just go spend extra money, but this seems smart???...
The guy at the trailer parts house (Six Robles) told me that I could also change out the brake hubs to idler hubs as well. It would be cheaper to buy a loaded idler hub for emergency use, and it would much smaller and lighter to carry.

I always carry a pretty extensive tool kit with me on any road trip, and after doing the work, it’s not that big of a deal.
Dealing with any of this on the side of the highway would suck, but far less than waiting for and paying for a flat deck wrecker and trying locate parts in small towns in the middle of nowhere...
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Spare hub?

Postby bdosborn » Tue May 26, 2020 9:43 am

I carry a hub rebuild kit with me; bearings, races, etc. So far I' haven't had trouble with hubs, its been tire blowouts that have side lined me.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby les45 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:38 am

I've always carried a complete hub assembly as a spare. I figure it's a lot easier to simply swap a complete hub while sitting on the side of the road on a hot summer's day than to mess with replacing bearings. Another thing to think about is how to jack up your trailer if you do have to change a tire or hub. I also carry a dedicated trailer tool kit along with the spare hub.
les45
500 Club

Postby swoody126 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:28 am

failing to prepare for contingencies is not wrong IF you are prepared to deal with the consequences

if changing bearings in a hub on the side of the road isn't your idea of great sport carry a replacement hub loaded with new freshly greased bearings races and a new seal installed

if you are traveling solo/without someone to baby sit your trailer while you chase down repair parts then having said parts along is wise

if you have someone who can/will stay with the trailer while you chase the parts then you have a choice

carrying spare parts ready and handy isn't wrong

proper preparation and maintenance usually greatly reduces the chances of roadside failures

using Bearing Buddies or installing EZ-Lube axles and keeping them properly serviced virtually guarantees stress free travel

annually i service the hubs/bearings on trailers i have in service

prior to adventures/longer trips i jack each tire off the ground and spin it while listening to the hub

if the hub spins freely AND without any gravely/grinding noises i simply service the EZ-lube or Bearing Buddy zerk fitting according to manufacturer's specs and goto the next unit

IF there is any roughness in the spinning or any noises emanating from the hub it gets removed and the bearings races n seals get replaced before the trip

during this process each tire gets felt of and carefully looked at for any irregularities and gets replaced if any are found

assuming everything is in good condition this process takes butt a few minutes for each tire on the ground and less time to check the spare(s)

checking the whole trailer(wheels tires hubs lights n wiring) takes less than an hour at home under normal conditions w/ your home tool complement at hand

tending to issues takes less time at home than on the side of the road

the last roadside bearing issue i had was in the mid 1970's(mid summer in New Mexico) just a few days before i began this regime

WHERE DO YOU PREFER TO DEAL WITH ISSUES ? IF ANY EXIST ;-)

¿ me ?... i prefer doing any needed parts swapping on the smooth concrete floor of my barn w/ all my tools handy

it's up to you to decide where you wish to perform the task

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Return to General Discussion