Bluetooth car radio... do they play to bluetooth speakers?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Bluetooth car radio... do they play to bluetooth speaker

Postby Florida Native » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:32 pm

I just use Spotify Premium (family). Can download playlists for when there is no signal. You can use an old phone or tablet and keep it dedicated for the camper. Just remember to connect to wifi once a month or before you leave to camp so it can check/download the playlists. No problems connecting to a BT speaker.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Florida Native
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:49 am

Mike , great idea !!! Now can anyone recommend a reasonably priced BT speaker ( portable ) … with so many out there , it’s somewhat confusing … Image

Tim , We have many stories of lengthy Katrina evacuations ( 5 weeks away for me ) … The sole reason I started making a bugout trailer (s) … :frightened: Fortunately this storm was just a lot of wind and RAIN .. But I believe it’s a portend for lats summer Storms … A Reminder to be ready for “the Big one ” … Living on the coast , it’s just a numbers game , and sooner or later our number will be up …. :shock:
I’ve got my trailer TV sorted, but need some music too…. portable music …and not just my guitar … ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Florida Native » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:22 am

GPW wrote:Mike , great idea !!! Now can anyone recommend a reasonably priced BT speaker ( portable ) … with so many out there , it’s somewhat confusing … Image

I have an Ecoxgear EcoSlate that I got at Costco (been a few years). It's rugged and waterproof and the sound is fine/decent. It's a little on the big side. I bought it for its durability (beach trip). I use it all the time when working on the cars and don't worry if it gets kicked over or it starts to rain and it's outside. I've dropped it a few times from 2-3 feet high (not intentionally) onto pavement and it's no worse for the wear. The range (distance from phone) seems to be a little on the short side, depending on obstructions. 10-15 feet is usually safe, but too much beyond that and you need to make sure you have line of sight.

My teenage son has a JBL Charge 3. It's water resistant and sounds better than mine. His battery also lasts longer, though mine will easily go all day and lasts for a full weekend of auto repair.

I really like the sound of the Bose SoundLink Mini II, though I have only listened to it in store (Costco). I have not listened to it side by side with the JBL but my gut tells me the Bose sounds better (just listened to in store a few weeks ago). I did listen to it side by side with the Ecoxgear a few years back when I was shopping for them and the Bose was clearly and significantly better sound quality.

I keep eyeing the Bose when I go to Costco, but mine suits my most frequent use case better and I have one so am not inclined to spend money on a second one.

If I ever do a quasi-built-in BT speaker it will be the Bose, but honestly I'll probably just drag my Ecoxgear around because I have it and there's no worry about damaging it.

-Mike

Florida Native
Teardrop Builder

Postby TimC » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:04 am

GPW wrote:Mike , great idea !!! Now can anyone recommend a reasonably priced BT speaker ( portable ) … with so many out there ...

I have an Anker A3143. It's true stereo, has a beefy battery and great sound. About 9" x 3" x 3". Heavy for its size, but, I'm not backpacking with it. It may not be available now, but, I'm sure they make a new model.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wireless-Bluetooth-Drivers-Passive-Premium-Nexus-More-Output-10W-iPhone-20W-Samsung-Speaker-Anker-Stereo-Two-iPad-Portable-Subwoofers-Speaker-A3143-4/161977509

Check the Anker Soundcore Pro+. About the same price I paid with extended battery.

Weather report shows Cristobal moving directly at us in NE Wisco. They're saying it's only the third tropical storm in recorded weather history to come through WI and only second to reach the UP. Lots of rain, but nowhere near what you guys routinely prepare for.

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:45 am

Mike, Tim, Thanks for the suggestions !!! 8)

The weather … :NC Last year we heard of 100 year storms annually , now we’re hearing about 500 year storms … :frightened: Everybody please stay safe … and yes , we’re still “distancing” and wearing the mask … :thumbsup:
Attachments
me.jpg
me.jpg (54.91 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby TimC » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:06 pm

I found a solution for car stereos lacking the ability to transmit a BT signal to a set of BT capable speakers. Most modern car stereos come with bluetooth, but only receive, not transmit. First I found a cheap FM radio at Wallyworld and made a case for it for my galley.

In addition to the speaker wires for F&R and L&R that model has a set of pre=amp RCA jacks on the rear panel as well. Turns out that is the signal I needed for a handy little bluetooth transmitter I found on ebay. It is shown temporarily laying on top of the stereo cab.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Bluetooth-5-0-Transmitter-A2DP-Audio-RCA-to-3-5mm-AUX-USB-Adapter-HUB/153868793145?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The transmitter comes with a patch cord with a 3.5mm stereo plug and RCA jacks. The RCAs plug into the back of the radio's pre-amp output and the 3.5mm jack plugs into the transmitter. For now the transmitter then plugs into a USB on the front of the radio to power it. I'll eventually hard wire a 12v to USB step down adapter behind the bulkhead wall to hide that plug.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-12V-to-USB-5V-3A-15W-Power-Converter-Regulator-Step-Down-for-Car-GPS-Phone/283898167184?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I'll probably install a simple toggle switch to power the stereo as well as the bluetooth transmitter so they aren't both needlessly pulling phantom power full time. I won't have station memory active since power will be off except when using the radio. Not a problem as I have to search for station at each stop anyway.

I built a set of speakers from the drivers from a salvaged stereo. They aren't much, 3W-8ohm cheapsters, but, for the cabin in my TD they'll do nicely. The cabinets I built are just at the sweet spot interior volume of .07 cubic feet that makes those little cheapies sound their best. They are wired directly to the car stereo speaker outputs and will live in the cabin full time.

I'm in the process of building a small bluetooth stereo speaker (2x50w). I expect to have the bluetooth amp in tomorrow's mail. I'll be able to move that speaker around where I want it. In the galley while prepping meals, or, by the fire while relaxing or splitting firewood. For now I will need to have 12v power for that speaker, so, its range will be limited somewhat. As soon as I learn how to add a charger and 18650 Li-Ion battery pack to the speaker I'll be in business for hours of operation without wires.

Why did I go to all this trouble you ask? Couldn't you just play music from your phone through the radio with its built in bluetooth? Yes, but, I like to listen to radio when I can. I get a mix of music, news, NPR, etc. I can't do that on a phone without a cell signal and most places I camp will have an FM signal more often than cell signal. This was a fun way to experiment. Not everyone wants FM radio so I admit this work around isn't for everyone. However, if you like a little FM variety now and then its a fairly easy and inexpensive way to go about it. I almost forgot to mention that I built an FM dipole antenna from coax cable (of course I did!). It blows away any commercial whip antenna when is comes to picking up FM signals.

The radio was $17, BT transmitter was $10, the 12v to USB is $9. Salvaged speakers were "free" using plywood I had on hand. Antenna was free with old coax I had laying around.

The new bluetooth speaker will be $14 for the bluetooth amp board, two new full range speakers were $35 shipped and $1 for a panel mount 12v jack. Converting to Li-Ion battery pack and charging board will run about $20 I think. I have a lot of studying to do before having that total wireless capability.

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Florida Native » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:06 am

Nice work! An old trick to keep station memory on a car radio is to wire up a regular ol' 9V battery to the "always on" wires going to the radio. The voltage turns out to be enough and just powering station memory the battery will last a while. IIRC, 1-2 9v batteries would get through camping season.

But, yeah, if moving around a lot, not any use for station memory. You'd be just as well to just tie the always on to the same wiring as the accessory circuit so you'd have station memory until you switched it off with the toggle switch and moved locations.

-Mike

Florida Native
Teardrop Builder

Postby TimC » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Recently upgraded my Bluetooth speaker build with a battery pack. Seeing as this was a bit of a first crack at building one of these I had to adapt the battery pack to ride piggyback on the speaker. It would have worked to add it to the interior of the speaker enclosure, but, it would effect the volume of the interior of the box making the speakers operate at less than optimal. When I build my kids a set of these for gifts I will calculate the volume with the battery pack and amp inside. They will also be a more stretched out design. For stereo speakers this set is a little close together.

The front doesn't look much different from my previous photo except that I screwed up a top handle and then removed it so there are scars to cover up some day. Right now its OK.

This is the piggyback battery pack and amp enclosure. The battery pack comes with LEDs and a button for battery charge level as well as charging and charge complete LEDs. The amp has the typical Play/Pause, Next and Volume up and down buttons. I only provided exterior buttons for volume (light colored pair on the back) as I didn't see much use for the others. And because as soon as you wire the amp the bluetooth searches constantly. I added a toggle switch to power the amp on and off so it wouldn't drain the battery when not in use. This battery pack, a Li Ion 18650 3-pack.

Fun project!

Tim
Niagara, WI

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Florida Native » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:05 am

Fancy schmancy! With a nice vintage look to it!

-Mike

Florida Native
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to General Discussion