Bumper pull camper...bad axles

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Bumper pull camper...bad axles

Postby Woodstramp » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:15 am

Hey all. I know this a home built camper forum (I have built a TT before using help from this forum) and I'd like to refurb this old girl. Have an older rig, but everything functions, has a dry roof and decent interior.

Bought this 16' pull behind a couple of years ago. Over all, the camper is in decent shape, I got it fairly cheap, but it has a major issue...when I dove in to refurb the brakes and bearings, I found the axle spindles were badly worn. So badly that I want to just re-axle the thing for safety.

I don't know diddly about IDing the correct replacements (weight rating, etc). Preferably, I'd like to buy good, used axles. I have seen newer campers that were totaled out from wrecks or fires or whatever. A good used set that is rebuildable would be perfect, but if that doesn't happen, i'd go new.

I assume most standard camper axles (these use leave springs, btw) are of similar length, but have different weight ratings. In other words, a set of axles off a two year old 16' would work out on a twenty years old 16' of similar weight.

How do you verify weight ratings? You go buy overall camper weight? Is this weight listed somewhere on campers?

Any help would be appreciated.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Re: Bumper pull camper...bad axles

Postby MatBirch » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:30 am

I just went through this myself-
Match up what you have now, and you’ll be fine-
Does your old axle have electric brakes?
The standards are 10” drum, 5 on 4-1/2” bolt pattern = 3500lbs
12” drum = 5000# , then you get into big trailers...

You likely have 2- 3500# axles.
Your width is measured hub face-to-hub face.

I did a ton of shopping, locally and on line. Locally, I found excellent help at Six Roblee’s
It seems the standard widths and drop (vs straight) available from places like Tractor Supply, are for utility trailers. No reason they wouldn’t work, but I couldn’t find anything correct fitting.
I was quoted 149$ for a replacement drop axle from Six Roblee’s. In the end, I was able to just do backing plates and hubs. All the added bits and pieces came to right at $300 that I didn’t plan on spending!

Or... if you wind up going with new, pull the springs and go with torsion axles! They are available in pretty much any size and configuration.
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MickinOz » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:39 am

I disagree with the recommendation to go with torsion suspension. I consider them a WOFTAM.
Here in Oz, at least, leaf springs are far cheaper, usually "off-the-shelf" as opposed to ordering and waiting for a torsion axle, and last for many many years.

I do agree - replace what you have, and you'll be fine.

As for axle capacities, we have a very simple system

39mm round = 750kg/1800 lbs.
40mm square = 1000kg/2200 lbs.
45mm axle 1600kg/3500 lbs.

Length from tip to tip is used to order a replacement axle, and the bearing measurements or numbers can be found on the old bearings, to ensure the hubs will go straight on.

Assuming the axle is sized for more than the outfit weighs, the actual capacity of the system is determined by the springs.
So my trailer has a 40mm square axle that is supposedly suitable for 1000kg, but weighs about 520 kg and runs on springs that are rated to deflect/compress 50mm when they have 600kg on them. Here "600kg springs" means 300kg per spring.

You should be able to either re-use your springs, or weigh the whole outfit and size replacement springs accordingly.
Whatever you choose, new u-bolts and fish plates are a must IMO.
Here in Oz, it cost me less than $200 US to replace everything but the springs on my first trailer. (No brakes)
Last edited by MickinOz on Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby MickinOz » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:42 am

Oh, and By The Way
galaxy35, take your spam and make love elsewhere, ya maggot.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby GTS225 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:11 am

MatBirch wrote:Does your old axle have electric brakes?
The standards are 10” drum, 5 on 4-1/2” bolt pattern = 3500lbs
12” drum = 5000# , then you get into big trailers...

You likely have 2- 3500# axles.
Your width is measured hub face-to-hub face.

Just a little more info.
I have a 24-ft Jayco with 2200# Dexter torsion axles under it. Had to very recently replace the (4-wheel) brakes, and they're 7" brakes. They do the job, but it seems no one around my town keeps parts on hand for them. Went through E-trailer for the set. Just wanted to add this so you didn't think you have some one-off setup if you do happen to have 7" brakes.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion