Gas Struts

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Gas Struts

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:45 am

Most of you folks do a hinged lift and I see several calculators (including here) for those. In my situation, I have a non-hinge full lift. Having a bit of a time finding a calculator or install guide for it.

I'm back to thinking of adding the struts for an even easier setup. I think if I ad the struts I could deploy the roof without even getting in..

Probably just need to contact a couple manufactures and ask.. Any better choices out there?

RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Gas Struts

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:07 am

It depends on the geometry. Straight lift is easy, angled or acting on your x braces will be different. Got a sketch?
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:18 pm

The braces are 'H' formed and front/back and hinged in the middle. I wouldn't 'think' they'd be any issue on the lift.. :NC
I can pop the top pretty easy now without struts. I just think I could lift the top without climbing with struts, and that would be very nice indeed! ;)

Image. Image

Figure the struts would be on the sides. Does this help at all?
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:45 pm

4 struts on the corners would just be the weight divided by 4 (or a bit lower than that to assist but not strong enough to lift) but do you have room to do that?

Forgive me but I've been looking at so many lifting roof designs I can't keep them straight. Are your H braces attached top and bottom and fold in the middle? You could spring load those hinges. Too much might make lowering the roof difficult.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:09 pm

I'm back to thinking of adding the struts for an even easier setup.

RJ: I assume you've looked at how Four-Wheel campers etc have the erganomics of the struts on their truck bed pop-up campers?

:thinking: Does that help at all?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby green1 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:53 pm

There are lots of calculators, but I find they over complicate things.
For my galley I put a bathroom scale on the counter, put a stick on it holding the hatch up at the point I wanted the strut to attach, divided by 2 (one strut on each side) and voila. Went to the store to see what they had and picked the next increment above what I measured above. Worked perfectly.

As long as you know where you want to attach it, and the direction of the force, any scale will do the trick to see how much you need.
green1
Teardrop Builder

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:46 am

@pmullen: Yes mounted top and bottom, hinged in the middle. My mind is still racing around a simple spring system, yet to work through it.. A smile spring (pulling, not pushing) would actually give the assist at the heaviest point (initial lift). With the middle being hinged, my mind goes to a gear system run by a DC motor. :thinking:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:51 am

@Tony: I've pulled a lot of info from those guys. Some I've used, some, well not so much.. I have a dealer near by. There's also a few Aussie builders I've pulled from. Now those folks are way ahead of this game! They're building some really cool stuff! Thank you for suggestion.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:54 am

green1 wrote:There are lots of calculators, but I find they over complicate things.
For my galley I put a bathroom scale on the counter, put a stick on it holding the hatch up at the point I wanted the strut to attach, divided by 2 (one strut on each side) and voila. Went to the store to see what they had and picked the next increment above what I measured above. Worked perfectly.

As long as you know where you want to attach it, and the direction of the force, any scale will do the trick to see how much you need.

Thank you! Kinda where I'm headed on this!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion