Stove vs griddle in the kitchen

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Stove vs griddle in the kitchen

Postby philpom » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:41 pm

We use our coleman 2 burner duel fuel cook top with various pots and pans or a firepit/grill for most cooking. We also backpack a bunch (for that truly simple experience) so we use small single burner stoves to boil water for drinks and to rehydrate meals.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby Aguyfromohio » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:28 pm

saltydawg wrote:
...Okay if you where building new, and you built both a stove and the griddle in to the kitchen, which do you think would get more use? .... So your the perfect person to ask, as you have both...

If I had to pick just one I'd pick an open burner. In a teardrop space and weight are so important it makes no sense to have both.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:48 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:Most importantly the wife smiles when she uses her new griddle, which accomplishes my main mission in life.

Happy wife, save your life! :lol:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby saltydawg » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:53 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:

If I had to pick just one I'd pick an open burner. In a teardrop space and weight are so important it makes no sense to have both.

I will take that if you could have either but only one you would do the stove
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:53 pm

saltydawg wrote:
Aguyfromohio wrote:

I will take that if you could have either but only one you would do the stove

Yes sir. If just one, I pick a stove.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:22 pm

I had one of those Copper griddles and it looked great but cooked terrible, dead spots allover the place and messing with the grease tray was a hassle, then I found this propane stove that still matched the stain on my walls and has a stainless steel surface oh and it cooks great too with no electricity needed and the wind guard makes alot of difference with splatters that were getting me down. Everything has to match for me but it has to actually work too :lol:

1.JPG
1.JPG (172.62 KiB) Viewed 1064 times

2.JPG
2.JPG (141.97 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby booyah » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:56 am

tony.latham wrote:Our griddle is a non-stick aluminum. (Coghlan's Two Burner Non-Stick Camp Griddle)

Best of both worlds. :thumbsup:

Tony

Its hilarious that I never even thought of that. Mine comes tomorrow!
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby gudmund » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:24 pm

have Camp Chef Teton and Blackstone 17in- they both have their purpose = if it's just me traveling, the Camp Chef takes up less space and is so much easier to set up/use and deal with. If we are doing one of our group teardrop Crawl's = it will be the Blackstone, almost twice the size which can cook twice the food when we do the group feeds (used to use a single burner Camp Chef version of their double burner grill/stove but went to the Blackstone 17in being it is the same size but half the packed weight (the Champ Chef weighted almost 50 lbs, stove/griddle combined) Just now have to have some sort of table to hold the Blackstone being it doesn't have legs like the Camp Chef did = no problem = Picnic table - my 'disabled walker' portable table - swing-arm rear trailer table etc-etc all work just fine............... along with the 15 foot gas hose ........................... :wine: PS: all of this is just another reason why using a PU truck as a tow vehicle works so well!! = more space to just carry "more stuff"... a few years back when crossing back into the US from Canada, the officer checking the back of my vehicle came back asking "I have one last question before you leave - why are carrying 'so much stuff?" My answer "cause I've been camping" He told to have a good trip and to get out of there!..............
Last edited by gudmund on Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Modstock » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:56 pm

We use a 2 burner stove with a 10" Lodge cast iron plate. It has 2 sides, one flat and the other for grilling. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby saltydawg » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:03 pm

gudmund wrote:have Camp Chef Teton and Blackstone 17in- they both have their purpose = if it's just me traveling, the Camp Chef takes up less space and is so much easier to set up/use and deal with. If we are doing one of our group teardrop Crawl's = it will be the Blackstone, almost twice the size which can cook twice the food when we do the group feeds (used to use a single burner Camp Chef version of their double burner grill/stove but went to the Blackstone 17in being it is the same size but half the packed weight (the Champ Chef weighted almost 50 lbs, stove/griddle combined) Just have to use some sort of table to hold the Blackstone being it doesn't have legs like the Camp Chef did = no problem = Picnic table - my 'disabled walker' portable table - swing-arm rear trailer table etc-etc all work just fine............... along with the 15 foot gas hose ........................... :wine:

The number of people is one of the reasons I kind of want to go with the blackstone. When I go camping it is normal for me to do the cooking, and I am pretty much the one who has the stove and other items and Its normally for around 6 to 8 people.

Another one of the reasons I am doing the camper is I travel the east coast with friends playing the paintball big games, there is normally around 20 of us. The other guys are now camping at the events to save money on the hotel. And the food at these events is limited, expensive and it plain sucks. So being able to throw 20 burgers or hot dogs on a griddle would be nice and easy.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion