I made a terrible mistake..

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: I made a terrible mistake..

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:54 pm

Don't know if this is legal where you are, but this is what I have in my galley, under the sink. Two burner stove is to the right but can't be seen in the picture.

Since you probably already know what to do better than I do, the information below is for people who don't:

If you're going to have a fire, chances are it will be in the galley. If it's in a pot or fryer, you might be able to put a lid on it and smother it. Another thing that could help is a box of baking soda. Pour that on liberally and it'll usually kill a cooking fire, too. Of course, if the fire is on the ground, use water or smother it with dirt.

A chuckle for you:

In a college cooking class, I had to broil some fish. I hate most fish. Fortunately, my fish caught fire. I thought fast and smothered them with baking soda. I got a 'B' for that day's class and everyone wanted to know why. The professor said it was because I knew what to do when the fish caught fire, didn't lose my head and acted fast.

I smiled because not only did I get a 'B' for that day's class but also, I didn't have to eat fish! :lol:

There is a new product, a small fire blanket that just came out that smothers fires. I saw it online. If I see it again, I'll try to remember to post it for you, in case you're interested.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby MickinOz » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:59 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Another thing that could help is a box of baking soda. Pour that on liberally and it'll usually kill a cooking fire, too.

Baking soda is the main ingredient in type BC dry powder extinguishers.
If you can spread it right, a box of it should indeed put out fires.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby gudmund » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:46 pm

and your baking soda info just brought back the memory of when I "burned up" the bacon = grease fire !!! As soon as I yelled we have a fire, Sandi rans over with a container of plain old 'salt' pouring it over the griddle and it was out in no time. I carry salt now days, after never buying it for years being the doctor was always telling me for years to 'stay away from salt" - go figure............ :?
gudmund
500 Club

Postby GTS225 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:20 am

I might suggest you all seriously consider the expense of Co2 extinguishers. ABC rated, refillable, and doesn't leave a mildly corrosive residual powder like lower cost extinguishers do.
Excellent for electrical/electronics fires, as it won't damage the equipment to the point of unsalvagability.
As I alluded to in the first sentence, though......comparative expensive. It wouldn't surprise me that one would cost in excess of a C-note.

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:00 am

You know... I think an extinguisher is a good idea. I'm going to add one to my truck before next summer's season.

Whichever one I choose, it will be C rated for vegetation.

For us, the biggest fire threat is probably the accidental start of a wildfire in camp.

We carry a shovel but being able to grab an extinguisher could be a big deal.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:38 pm

Co2 Extinguishers = brings back some of the story's I heard when listening to my uncle's talk about WWII, about how they would use a Co2 extinguisher for 'icing' down their beer when there was nothing else to cool it with........they said it worked good....... :beer: :thinking:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:13 pm

Here are those fire blankets that I saw. They fold up compact but aren't that big to begin with...roughly 3 feet square.
Made in China but the video shows one working. ...Dunno....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KP5RD9Y?ta ... =aa_rscomp
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby edgeau » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:39 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Here are those fire blankets that I saw. They fold up compact but aren't that big to begin with...roughly 3 feet square.
Made in China but the video shows one working. ...Dunno....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KP5RD9Y?ta ... =aa_rscomp
I have used a fire blanket in earnest on a BBQ fire last year. It worked well. I have 3, in the kitchen, next to the BBQ and in the TD galley.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby wannabefree » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:43 pm

We have a fire extinguisher because it seemed like a good idea. It's a 16 ounce spray can that might put out a match if you have good aim. We keep it in the galley where things are likely to burn.
Back when I was a working stiff I was on the CERT and got trained on how to use a fire extinguisher. We used 20 lb extinguishers and they were empty in 30 seconds, meaning we each got 15 seconds to put out our fire. The point I am taking too long to make is that if you have never used one, you will probably empty it before you have any impact on a fire of any significance. If you must, aim for the bottom of the fire, not the flames.
Much more useful are a shovel and a bucket of water, or a box of baking soda for the occasional grease fire on the stove.
In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
wannabefree
The 300 Club

Postby rjgimp » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:03 pm

MickinOz wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:Another thing that could help is a box of baking soda. Pour that on liberally and it'll usually kill a cooking fire, too.

Baking soda is the main ingredient in type BC dry powder extinguishers.
If you can spread it right, a box of it should indeed put out fires.

Mate, just get a box of baking soda, write "10BC" on it with a crayon, and put it on a shelf.

:roll: :twisted: :lol:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby saltydawg » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:09 pm

I boot camp we used co2 extinguishers to shoot balled up socks at each other.

I was on subs, I have pretty good fire training, as it was kind of important. Co2 for electrical, or if it was the only thing you had. It would not really put out a fire, but it could knock it down by starving it until something better got there, or we turned the electric off the what every it was, then use water. We had powder ones on board but we did not like them as they where corrosive on electronics. The where only really to be used on liquid fuel fires, like hydrolilic fluid or diesel unless you had nothing else.

But on a sub it was use everything and anything until the proper one was there. Fire was our biggest risk.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:46 pm

After reading this = new future "fire plan" has been deployed. I love the idea of this 'fire blanket' deal !! "Now why didn't I think of that??" considering that over 40 years ago, when working at a fab/welding shop and watching a small welding fire being put out by the covering of it with one of the welding blanket/curtains in the welding area. Now I read about the use of a 'fire blanket' being seen here and -- 'ah-daa' !! - I love this idea!! and have already purchased a few from Amazon.(got pk of 4 $30) There is now one in my home kitchen area along with in the trailer now with the plan of it being the "first" thing to cover a stove fire with, as I stand back with the extinguisher in hand ready to finish if need be. The thought now is, being 'dry chemical' powder from a extinguisher can be so hard to clean-up after use along with the powder being so-corrosive if not cleaned up completely, well, if the blanket works = great!! if not, I plan/hope to be standing by ready to spray......too finish it!!!! (and if there is no need to "spray it", !!$$$!! saved in not needing to replace/refill a extinguisher :thumbsup: )

PS As I mentioned earlier on this subject - I carry a 5lb extinguisher in the tongue box along with a 2.5lb in the PU-cab. When teardrop group camping, the 5lb gets pulled out of the tongue box and gets hung from the extinguisher hook on the outside of the box for easy access of all who are camped with us.(just have to ""remember"" to put it away when ready to travel :thinking: }
Last edited by gudmund on Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby JuneBug » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:37 am

This has been a really useful thread, so thanks to all who responded.

Here's a friendly reminder, text is cut and paste from the interwebs:

Do NOT pour water on a grease fire! Since oil and water do not mix, pouring water can cause the oil to splash and spread the fire even worse. In fact, the vaporizing water can also carry grease particles in it, which can also spread the fire.

My cousin sent me a rather horrifying video of what happens when you pour water onto a skillet when the grease/oil in on fire -- it just explodes. A grease fire on your stove top is where the blanket noted in the post above would come in very handy to smother it and likely be the most effective tool.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:53 pm

another suggestion when it comes to dealing with a possible future 'pending' fire - your fire fighting tools - 'standby items' (extinguishers, blankets, spray foam etc.) should all be stored away from you cooking areas - yet close enough to get too -but- far enough away that you can get to them 'out of harms way' to retrieve when need be and from a that neutral zone, return to deal with/fight a fire along with always thinking/planning for having that 'way out' of the area - if things get totally out of control. When camping, my tongue box is my fire extinguisher-fire blanket storage area = I figure it to be my designated area for quirk access if and when I ever need any of my fire tool "items" when camping. If there is a need to bail out of the inside bed area - away from the trailer side/rear cooking area - away from under the hood area or from inside the cab of the tow vehicle = the tongue box being located at a nice halfway point for easy access.......... :thinking: Take care
gudmund
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:32 pm

JuneBug wrote:This has been a really useful thread, so thanks to all who responded.

Here's a friendly reminder, text is cut and paste from the interwebs:

Do NOT pour water on a grease fire! Since oil and water do not mix, pouring water can cause the oil to splash and spread the fire even worse. In fact, the vaporizing water can also carry grease particles in it, which can also spread the fire.

My cousin sent me a rather horrifying video of what happens when you pour water onto a skillet when the grease/oil in on fire -- it just explodes. A grease fire on your stove top is where the blanket noted in the post above would come in very handy to smother it and likely be the most effective tool.

And yet, when I qualified in shipboard firefighting, it was all about putting out oil, grease and gasoline fires with a water hose. :lol:
To pass, I had to put out a gasoline and diesel fire with a water hose.
There was a kid's playground slide with a 6 gallon drum of gasoline at the top, and a tray of diesel at the bottom.
They opened the tap on the gas drum, and when the stream of gas got to the bottom, they lit it. After a while it got hot enough to ignite the diesel. (No easy thing, setting fire to diesel.)
When all was ablaze, I had to go in with a water hose, suppress the flames enough to get to the drum of gas and turn off the tap, and then put out the burning diesel tray.
With a garden hose, basically.
Can be done.

From some of the posts here, I get the impression that fire blankets are a new idea to some people?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion