Best Kayak for Seniors and RV’ers

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Best Kayak for Seniors and RV’ers

Postby Patmanfly » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:24 pm

I decided that I needed to get something I could have with me where ever we go so I settled on an inflatable kayak. I’ve used hard shell kayaks in the past and found them easy to maneuver and safe. Now I’m in my sixties and hosting anything up on my roof can be a challenge, plus a hardshell kayak gets pretty heavy when you have to haul it a long way to the water. After all, we don’t always get waterfront camping like in the RV brochures (lol), so it usually is some kind of trek to the water’s edge. When I was younger I did a lot of white water rafting so I was comfortable with inflatable boats and how extremely durable they are, the good ones that is… Even the Coast Guard uses inflatable boats.
This is the perfect Kayak for Seniors https://teardropgo.com/best-kayak-for-seniors-and-rvers/
Patmanfly
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Best Kayak for Seniors and RV’ers

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:24 pm

I wasn't aware the Sea Eagle was for seniors or RVers when I bought ours 2 years ago.
We saw a video on how nice they are and bought one.
What's nice about the model we have is we can put the inflatable seats wherever we want.
I ditched that duffle bag piece of junk since it was near to impossible to get everything back in the bag.
I went to Walmart and bought a wheeled travel bag that holds the kayak and is easy to roll to where you launch it.
It's our first kayak and we love it.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby twisted lines » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:53 pm

Now these show up :shock:
I bought a 13' boat for the motor more then anything, Honda! Didn't even start it yet & had it for months.
Might have to make two trips, I always Said never going to do it 8)
But my favorite Deep fishing holes and times often include upper twenty's in the morning,
No propex just Java.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:21 pm

Here's ours.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Cosmo » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:43 pm

I own 3 Oru Folding kayaks. The Inlet weights 20 pounds and handles like a hard shell. It goes together in a few min, The boat is a pleasure to assemble and take apart. I really like it. Only negative is its short and not very fast.
The Bay is longer and has more weight capacity.
https://youtu.be/05wTFdSdAGA

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:55 pm

Posted your kayak U-Tube video on another website. Several people like the video and are now interested in the Inlet, including me.
(...Waiting for a sale or discount. Haven't seen any in a while.)

Keep up the informative videos, Cosmo. They do help people. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Cosmo » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:21 pm

Thank You Sharon! Demand was off the scale last year. Hopefully this year will be better.
I agree with you. Hold out for a sale. While the crystal ball is out of order and the future is as uncertain as it ever is, Oru in the past has had incentives like free shipping, stuff, along with sale prices. Hopefully the wait will be rewarded. There are many choices available. One good resource that I lurk on is the Oro owners group on FaceBook. Like this wonderful group it often has good information and chatter about best deals. There is also a folding kayak group on FB that includes all brands of boats including home made and old favorites.

An Oru is a definite compromise. Its not a rugged injection molded rental kayak. But it sure is light and portable. The inlet is a dream for fast assembly for sure. I have owned 15 kayaks total and with the trailer I find the Inlet travels the most with me. After 5 miles of paddling a longer boat might start to look attractive if you are planing long paddles. That is never an issue for me. I am just out to have fun.

Another boat that gets discussed is the Tucktec. Gear Lab review found some issues which are probably corrected by now but I would verify that before buying. "more than once it disassembled itself when we didn't want it to." An understatement...
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... able-kayak

Regards
=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby RockyMtnRR » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:11 am

A tip from my sister who is ridiculously short:

She always buys two kayak racks. One roller rack, one cradle rack. The rollers go in the back and the cradles go in the front. Her tiny self leans the kayak up onto the rollers and just shoves until the front drops down into the cradle. When it's time to get them down she hops up and grabs the tail (this is grand fun to watch) and lets her body weight tow her and the kayak off the car. Sounds weird but the actual strength involved in loading/unloading is less than carrying the fool boat to the water.
RockyMtnRR
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mtbikernate » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:58 pm

I really like the looks of those oru kayaks. have a 16ft canoe now and it sucks to paddle solo. it takes up a ton of storage space as well as transport considerations, too. we don't use it much because of the PITA factor. though it is amusing to drag it down the hill on occasion to float in the tiny retention pond behind the house after a rain.

I've been working on my wife to convince her that we should get 2 kayaks instead, and the oru kayaks would be most excellent for that.
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion