Alpicool Questions

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Alpicool Questions

Postby Dahlia47 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:46 pm

I got the small C9. It fits perfectly in the spot I have for it. I am ecstatic! I don't have to worry about the hubby and kids leaving packaging open in the cooler and getting food poisoning from dirty ice anymore! YAY!
My question...How long should I cool it down before plugging it into my solar? I saw somewhere on youtube that it needed to cool down first. But it didn't say for how long? I don't know what the general rule is on that. Or if it was an exaggeration?
I am really excited about this. I can stay out longer without having to do daily ice runs!
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: Alpicool Questions

Postby saltydawg » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:39 pm

Figure if its empty should not take more than an hour or 2 to cool off. but make sure everything that goes in it is cold.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:05 pm

My first thought was "What's an Alpicool C9?"
Google sent me to an Amazon listing that had a temperature v time graph.
It's a bit Mickey Mouse, because t starts at 42F, but suggests it would take less than an hour to chill from ambient.
I'm very interested in this fridge. It looks identical to one we can get called a Brass Monkey.
Brass Monkey fridges are getting very good reviews here, probably better than we are entitled to expect for the low pricing.
I'd love to see a review from you after you've used it on a camping weekend.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby MickinOz » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:17 pm

P.S. Is the lid removable easily? A lot of fridges can have the lid replaced by a high profile one to extend the capacity.
Wondering if the same can be done with this one. There isn't one available for it, but I was always wanting to try PMF on something.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:05 pm

I think I have this fridge! Here it is filled with ice cream I was transporting for a birthday party.

I plug it in using the wall adapter a few hours before we leave, and fill it with things from the house fridge that we want to take camping. Because the items are already cold, it comes down to temperature quickly. I keep a fridge thermometer in it because the digital readout isn’t always accurate until everything equalizes.

I run the fridge on 12 volt in the Jeep on the way to our campsite, and transfer it to 12 volt in the camper (powered by solar) once we arrive. It has been cold for a long time by then, so takes minimal camper battery to remain that way.
Last edited by lfhoward on Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:08 pm

MickinOz wrote:P.S. Is the lid removable easily? A lot of fridges can have the lid replaced by a high profile one to extend the capacity.
Wondering if the same can be done with this one. There isn't one available for it, but I was always wanting to try PMF on something.

The lid is easily removable. I didn’t go for the larger taller lid because as it is the fridge fits under the bed in the camper.
For a good review of the Alpicool fridge, including how much power it uses, see Slim Potatohead’s channel on YouTube.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:41 pm

It has been cold for a long time by then, so takes minimal camper battery to remain that way.

Any extra-rough idea of how many amps in a 24 hour period?

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:46 pm

tony.latham wrote:Any extra-rough idea of how many amps in a 24 hour period?

Tony

I went back and re-watched Slim Potatohead’s review of the Alpicool fridge. You can find it here.

https://youtu.be/tFzy-6LCnTE

He did an amp hour analysis and even though the specs say 45 watts, he found a maximum of only 5.76 Amp hours used per day on the hottest days. Now that’s entirely doable! Maybe this wasn’t such a bad idea after all. :)

Here is a screenshot of Slim’s math. I love data.

As a freezer though it can use more than 30 AH a day because the compressor has to run a lot more often. I never use it as a freezer while camping.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:47 am

Thanks for the info.
I think you have the 15L model.
Lid is easy on those, I had a look in the store today.
15L proved sufficient for the maiden voyage the other night.
I did the same - ran it on truck power until we got where we were going, then switched to house battery.

The 9L has a different looking hinge, and the store doesn't have any for me to see, hence the question.
They also don't seem to have an extension lid like they do for the 15L, but I think it would be pretty straight forward to craft one from foam and PMF, or even foam an 3mm ply.

They are on special for $149 Australian plus $12 postage for the next two days.
Very tempting. I think the difference between the 9L and my old 15L Engel is the depth, area is about the same. Hence my interest, because it would fit where the Engel goes now, and could be a permanent fixture. Currently swapping back and forth to the truck.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:31 am

Hey, thanks for the link. I'm one of his cult-like subscribers. :shock: How can one not like the guy?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:17 am

Interesting... :thinking:

They also make a "tent" air conditioner. Could be a game-changer for teardrop A/C.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:27 pm

lfhoward wrote:
tony.latham wrote:Any extra-rough idea of how many amps in a 24 hour period?

Tony

I went back and re-watched Slim Potatohead’s review of the Alpicool fridge. You can find it here.

https://youtu.be/tFzy-6LCnTE

He did an amp hour analysis and even though the specs say 45 watts, he found a maximum of only 5.76 Amp hours used per day on the hottest days. Now that’s entirely doable! Maybe this wasn’t such a bad idea after all. :)

As a freezer though it can use more than 30 AH a day because the compressor has to run a lot more often. I never use it as a freezer while camping.

If anyone cares, my notes say that Waeco CF35 used about 240 watts over 24 hours when I tested it a couple of years back. 100 watts of solar and an 85 amp hour battery has been plenty to keep up with it. If its a cold day and I don't make much power, then the fridge doesn't use as much. If its a hot day, then the solar maxes out and so the two have managed to balance out for the most part.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:31 pm

^^^ Tom, that’s good to hear. I’ve only ever used my fridge in winter so far and it sits under the bed where it’s the coldest. Glad to hear solar will keep up with it in summer.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:05 pm

lfhoward wrote:^^^ Tom, that’s good to hear. I’ve only ever used my fridge in winter so far and it sits under the bed where it’s the coldest. Glad to hear solar will keep up with it in summer.
Just keep it out of the sun, and make sure it’s got good air flow through the vents.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion