Brass Monkey 40 litre fridge review

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Brass Monkey 40 litre fridge review

Postby edgeau » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:35 pm

I have run this fridge for two trips and Family Christmas gatherings.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/40l-brass-mon ... s/p/GH1692
I got it because it was the only one with dimensions I could shoehorn into my space designed for an old Gas fridge that is now deceased.
It is very cheap. Normally I would shy away from the cheapest on the market over quality concerns. I default to the middle unless the pricier brand names have a clear quality advantage.
Even though this is too early to know how long it will last I am impressed with the function and efficiency.
It cools down very quickly and keeps things nice and cold in a hot summer.
You can set the target temp to match your needs.
It will be a freezer if you want but I don't need that or want the extra power draw to achieve it.
It is quiet.
It only draws a max 4.5Amps
It seems to be light on the battery (although I don't have anything to compare to, in my test it used 2.6Ah over 9.5hours)
It has an eco mode to reduce battery load or Max when running on AC.
It has its own low battery cutoff for when you have it sitting in a parked tow vehicle. This cuts it off in my wagon very quickly so I suspect my starter battery may be on its way out. The fridge happily runs on the teardrop battery all night.
The wheels and telescoping handle are a nice touch but I had to remove them to fit in the 'drop.
The retailer even sells spare parts like replacement lids, LCD displays, wheels, handles etc! So if something does go wrong after warranty has expired you don't have to scrap it.

The only gripe I have is the stated dimensions were not accurate. The height did not account for a wired little ramp on the lid. This meant I had to sand off a millimeter or two from the underside of my bench to accommodate it instead of having b
a little clearance.Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Re: Brass Monkey 40 litre fridge review

Postby Cosmo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:45 pm

Thanks for the information. 2.6 amps over 9.5 hours is outstanding! (I am assuming that is on 12V battery power).
Was it cold outside?

Thanks
=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby edgeau » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:14 pm

Cosmo wrote:Thanks for the information. 2.6 amps over 9.5 hours is outstanding! (I am assuming that is on 12V battery power).
Was it cold outside?

Thanks
=Cosmo
Not cold at all. I am in Australia so it is summer here. That test was spring though, it was mid 20s Celsius overnight.

edgeau
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:16 pm

One thing to realize they need ventilation to cool. Ours rides in the back of the TV connected to a dedicated power line.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby edgeau » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:21 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:One thing to realize they need ventilation to cool. Ours rides in the back of the TV connected to a dedicated power line.
Yes indeed. I have a dedicated vent for it in the 'drop so I can leave it in there for travel.

edgeau
500 Club

Postby swoody126 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:10 am

every time i open this forum and see this thread listed i can't help butt think about the proverbial BRASS MONKEY and something to do with spherical objects

those spherical objects were in reality cast iron cannon balls

and a BRASS MONKEY is the base the cannon balls were stacked on

Brass Monkey.jpeg
Brass Monkey.jpeg (6.1 KiB) Viewed 381 times

the MONKEY in this case was made of brass sheeting w/ semi-spherical indents where the cannon balls rode on the decks of ships or were simply stationed on the parapets ready for defence of the castle

in severely cold temperatures metals shrink and brass shrinks more and faster than cast iron

as the BRASS MONKEY shrank faster than the cast iron cannon balls the cannon balls would fall off(come unstacked)

SO the Brass Monkey folks who designed/built/sell this fridge created an appliance that FITS where it needs to be ;-)
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Return to General Discussion