Name That Hinge

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Name That Hinge

Postby Kampereen » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:25 am

Referencing the red components in this pic, I've seen this type of mechanism for moving a platform, but does it have a specific name? I'd like to use this in my next design and wanted to find other examples, but I don't know what to search for. It's not a hinge but it's the closest I could come to naming it.

I'm thinking of another mechanism to attach the panels so when the lid is open it pulls the other half of the bed into position. If anyone is aware of pics of that kind of design I'd love to see them. Thanks!
The Kampereen: A Build Journal
http://www.kampereen.com
Kampereen
Teardrop Builder

Re: Name That Hinge

Postby working on it » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:20 am

* Try searching under "lifting table hinges" in google. They can lift and hold a parallel surface steady, some mechanically lift/lock in place, and others use gas cylinders for that.
lifting table mechanisms.jpg
lifting table mechanisms.jpg (102.58 KiB) Viewed 605 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Kampereen » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:11 pm

working on it wrote:Try searching under "lifting table hinges" in google.

BAM! That will work, thanks!!
Kampereen
Teardrop Builder

Postby troubleScottie » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:44 pm

There are many similar ideas: vertical parallel lift top hinge, lift top hinges made for cabinets.

Blum will have a large set of examples. Obviously an upper end solution. But someone will make something similar. Blum is good for really heavy weight hinges that no one else wants to make.

Ikea may have something.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Florida Native » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:30 am

I’ve always called them coffee table hinges.

-Mike
Florida Native
Teardrop Builder

Postby sean882 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:45 am

Seems like you have some good leads on what to search for off-the-shelf solutions. To add, the technical concept is referred to as a 4-bar linkage. By varying the lengths and angles of the linkages, you can get some interesting movement paths. There are some simulators online to help with design if you search this term.
sean882
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kampereen » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:03 am

sean882 wrote:Seems like you have some good leads on what to search for off-the-shelf solutions. To add, the technical concept is referred to as a 4-bar linkage. By varying the lengths and angles of the linkages, you can get some interesting movement paths. There are some simulators online to help with design if you search this term.

Thank you, I am really glad to learn the name for this kind of mechanism. Love those online calculators and simulators. I will look for those. Thanks again!!
Kampereen
Teardrop Builder

Return to General Discussion