Axle replacement photos

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Axle replacement photos

Postby Ross Wade » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:51 pm

I have up loaded a few pictures of the axle replacement on our teardrop in my personal gallery. Everything seems to have lined up good. Hopefully in two weeks we will take it out and test the new axle.

Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby beverlyt » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:22 pm

Ross,
I must have missed it...why did you replace the axle?

You're trailer sure is a fine piece of work!

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Ross Wade » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:42 pm

Hi Beverly,

I over built our teardrop for the 1000 lb. axle, which was part of the Northern Tool frame kit. I am a cabinet and furniture maker, so weight isn't an issue with me, just the over all look. All the cabinets were constructed using 3/4" oak ply. Plus there is a 20 gallon water tank and a 90 lb. over sized gel battery.......hey it was only $20.00, I couldn't pass that up. This teardrop was designed for a trip into Alaska. I was there a few years ago and the towns are really spread out.

I knew the axle would need to be replaced and I was planning on doing that this winter. However the trip to Mystic proved to me that it needed to be changed out now.

Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby JamesW » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:23 am

I too had to replace my axle. The original one on the used trailer I got was very rusted. The tires need replaced but I was scared to try to undo the lug bolts. (every other bolt on the trailer sheared off and was replaced) So I bought a 2000# axle and springs from Bageco. I also bought a pair of trailer tires from Walmart...
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion