Boondocking Logistics for Poo

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Boondocking Logistics for Poo

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:59 pm

:thinking: Another possible solution....

I recently bought a roll of these but haven't tried them yet. Please note the company states that they are biodegradable and can be buried:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KW ... UTF8&psc=1

At the same time I bought these. Again, I haven't tried them yet:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074G ... UTF8&psc=1
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:41 am

Sharon,

Eeewww, how do you use the bag more than once? :frightened: We only us it *once* and bag it up ASAP.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:45 am

bdosborn wrote:Sharon,

Eeewww, how do you use the bag more than once? :frightened: We only us it *once* and bag it up ASAP.

Bruce

Cover your "deposit" with cat litter or sand. The double doody bags have deodorizer in them as well.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:04 am

a friend showed me how to pull this off w/o much hassle

key element #1 is to keep the solid and liquid as separate as possible

for urination only ... the large liquid laundry detergent(softener) bottle is an ideal way to keep the liquids separated

remove the pour spout(grab w/ pliers and pull out)

IMG_3370.jpg
IMG_3370.jpg (705.04 KiB) Viewed 1697 times

then male aiming is no longer an issue

IMG_3179.jpg
IMG_3179.jpg (612.49 KiB) Viewed 1697 times

even for the female members of your party

an adapter called a "Lady J"(there are several variations/names) facilitates the separation into the bottle process

th.jpeg
th.jpeg (2.44 KiB) Viewed 1697 times

to be continued(3-pic limit)

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby swoody126 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:10 pm

there... that didn't take long

when the lady j is used it even allows for an element of privacy

5pcs-Female-Urinal-Lady-Women-Camping-Travel-Urine.jpg
5pcs-Female-Urinal-Lady-Women-Camping-Travel-Urine.jpg (46.84 KiB) Viewed 1725 times

getting your girls on board makes the process go much easier

it helps to understand that a huge amount of the unpleasant fragance comes from the liquid and it keeping the solids fragrant

for your "pickle buckets" whether they be 2.5 gal 5 gal or 6 gal having an air tight screw on lid(Gamma Seal) for each one aids w/ the odor control issue

https://www.amazon.com/gamma-seal-lid/s ... a+seal+lid

we also use these lids to make waterproof container/pickle buckets to carry our gear in on boat camping trips

my friend uses a 50/50 mixture of sawdust and peat moss for absorbancy and odor managenent which he validated when he traveled from his home in Canada to the Texas gulf coast camping every night in their boat and hadn't bothered to empty his "black water"/solids bucket when his boat was being featured in a WoodenBoat Festival

as several above mentioned using the good pastic bags is paramount in this quest

emptying the U-bottle 2x/day out in the bush is simple enuff

use your privacy tent as needed

previous posters offered several seating options and i've had friends use some of all those mentioned w/ reasonable success

a side note on the bottles... the detergent's/fabric softener's fragrances get embedded in the pastic and a simple slosh w/ fresh water or even salt water after emptying goes a long way to keeping the bottle from becoming an issue over a week's adventure

BON CHANCE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:02 pm

Bruce

Oh, Bruce... Sometime in your life, you've probably used a public outhouse, haven't you? It's still better than that, especially at night or during the COVID threat.

Anyway, if you ever get sick or have a digestive upset, you'll quickly find out how to use a bag more than once! Usually, my loo is set up before I go to bed and the bag goes out with the trash in the morning, even with digestive upsets. If I have company, the loo is in a shower/utility tent outside, next to the trailer, and the bag still gets changed in the morning, not in the middle of the night. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:08 pm

Socal Tom wrote:

Bruce

Cover your "deposit" with cat litter or sand. The double doody bags have deodorizer in them as well.

You can fill an empty laundry detergent bottle with pine scented kitty litter and just sprinkle a little on when you need to!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby lfhoward » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:59 pm

Well I gotta say it. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this crappy thread.

:beer:
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cosmo » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:54 pm

Great topic.

As Slow pointed out. Here in the North East there is high use of state campground sites. Many I camp at have pit toilets for each site. But way too many individuals still use the woods. The campsites are in use every weekend and this year during the week. There are many signs of waste deposits. Even digging is destructive at the use level these sites endure (hundreds of deposits a year).

Last year I adopted a pack out policy too. On a week long trip it does pile up. I was surprised to find critters in my local don't want any part of the bags. I am using biodegradable T-shirt bags like what you get at any grocery store. I found them on Amazon. I use a master bag to put other bags in. Its outside just far enough away not to notice it.

At the end of the trip I ride to the nearest gas station or fast food place and deposit my gift in their dumpster after making a purchase at the establishment. While the smell is minimal its far from desirable... I found a location in the car with favorable air flow and ventilate till I get to the dump opportunity.

The reward for our efforts is a pristine site free of prior visitor evidence. I am converted now and greatly appreciate and admire those who pack out in areas that need our help. I am going boondocking this week. The cold should help quite a bit with handling the waste and odor. You know what is brown and sounds like a bell? Dung!

https://youtu.be/9JSwSTKDRMY?t=188

Hope your trip goes well. I tip my warm hat to you for enjoying the winter. Its wonderful

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby lfhoward » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:20 pm

That’s a great video, Cosmo! I rewound it to the beginning and watched the whole thing. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a similar place to where we will be in mid February. Were you on National Park, National Forest, State Forest land in PA?
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:31 pm

I wanted to post details here about how easy these CleanWaste bags really are to use.

Tear open the outer bag.

This Ziplock is for everything when you’re done.

This is the rest. Unfolding it you get...

...TP and a sterilizing wipe.

Carefully open the bag, being sure not to dump out the “poo powder” that’s in it.

It fits really nicely in a camp toilet made from a 5 gallon bucket.

Once you do your business, the poo powder transforms liquid pee into a gel-like solid. Tie up the bag, then put it inside the ziplock and seal it.

It’s a double layer of plastic to prevent leaks, but I put it into an airtight 5 gallon bucket as another barrier against smells. Pack in, pack out. According to CleanWaste, the bag can be thrown out in household trash and is biodegradable in a landfill. (not in the woods)
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:19 pm

lfhoward,

Great post explaining and showing photos about how those bags really work. I had no idea. :thumbsup:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:48 pm

I wanted to post details here about how easy these CleanWaste bags really are to use.

We've been using the Double Dooty bags. These are quite a bit cheaper.

Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby miniaturepeddler » Sun May 30, 2021 11:57 pm

I thought the bags went under the seat and not wrapped around the seat of the portaloo?
Or is that simply your choice?

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T, C738T) using Tapatalk
miniaturepeddler
Teardrop Builder

Postby QueticoBill » Mon May 31, 2021 7:59 am

Just as perhaps worth trying, I've backpacked where you have to carry out the TP, not the poo. I read a tip to stash it in a double zip lock with a tablespoon of bleach powder. It was astoundingly not at all unpleasant to open it and add the most recent TP. Might be some help.

And google URINE DIVERTER for inserts that separate the two quite easily.

Being a fan of remote places where burying is OK (and I prefer burning TP), peeing on a rock is much preferred to a tree, as animals like the pee and can damage to the tree. Down the list of LNT practices but there.

One of those truly common experiences.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion