Possibly buying a Little Guy 5-wide - inspection?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Possibly buying a Little Guy 5-wide - inspection?

Postby PrivatePilot » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:34 pm

Hey all, new member here, but certainly not a new RV'ers - my family used to own a big 5th wheel and have travelled coast to coast and everywhere in between. Sold it a 5-6 years ago when the kids lost interest in camping and we couldn't justify keeping it all for the little bit we were doing ourselves.

However a rental RV and a trip out to the east coast of Quebec last fall reminded us how much we missed it all, specifically, the travelling and seeing new things.

That said, we no longer have the big diesel pickup truck and want to make do with towing with our cars instead as we don't think we'd be camping enough to entirely justify it. So the teardrop segment seems to make sense. It'll be an adjustment (more so for my wife than me, I am fine with tent camping honestly) but I think she's ready to give it a shot.

We've spent the last month scouring the market here in Ontario Canada and have struggled to find *anything* that lasts any amount of time on the market - the segment is insanely hot right now. We missed out on a few. The USA market is a little better (and we'd really like to buy something like a MicroLite Wazat), but with the border being closed right now due to Covid simply buying in the USA and bringing something home isn't an option either. Shipping costs are high, and there'd be much logistics involved.

So we found one domestically at long last - we currently have our finger on a 2015 LIttle Guy five wide. It's optioned out pretty nice with the stargazer window, cooktop, sink, television, bluetooth stereo, and a checkerboard tool box across the front for storage. I believe it has a fantastic fan but can't be 100% sure as it's not shown in the picture - did all Little Guys have them?

Seems to be in good shape from what I can see from the photos, but I've been down this road before with the photos not living up to the reality.

Long story short even at the negotiated price ($9000 Canadian, roughly $7000 USD) I know it would be considered overpriced in the USA market, but not necessarily in the Canadian market. Here, I'd say it's carrying a $1000 premium still, but having missed out on a few options already as they're sold out from under us, and with no cross border trailers even being an option, we may have to just take the hit on the price and snatch it up.

It's 5 hours away so we'd be taking a road trip to check it out. If it's good, tow it home same day.

But I'm a little concerned because I've read more than a few places that the Little Guy five & six wides had water infiltration and damage issues....so I guess long story short here is that I'm looking for some insight on what to look at specifically for a pre-purchase inspection while I'm sitting there looking at it.

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks all!
PrivatePilot
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Possibly buying a Little Guy 5-wide - inspection?

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:16 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:... It's optioned out pretty nice with the stargazer window ...

But I'm a little concerned because I've read more than a few places that the Little Guy five & six wides had water infiltration and damage issues....

Any insight appreciated.

I have no personal experience with this at all, but I know some on tnttt have had major issues with the stargazer windows leaking. At least one really experienced builder failed to find a way to fix the problem. You may want to do a search.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby PrivatePilot » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:14 pm

Thanks - I have read about water leak issues with that window, but I'm not sure how it would be impossible to solve - properly installed caulking can fix pretty much any leak.

I'd be interested in reading the story though, I'll do a search - thanks!

Still looking for insight on my other questions for anyone who has a moment to reply.
PrivatePilot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PrivatePilot » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:21 pm

Followup, I did a quick search and most of the posts with chronic leak issues on the stargazer windows don't seem to be specific to the Little Guy, but are pretty much all other brand teardrops.
PrivatePilot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby greygoos » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:19 pm

I have read about Little Guy tears having leaking issues and not all from Stargazer windows. I believe it was Michael who finally got down to the root of the problem with the leaks in the Stargazer windows. The build is the Astroliner. That being said you can do a search on here and or the net and you will see lots of problems with leaking doors, windows and hatches
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:23 pm

It’s always a good idea to have a 3rd party who knows rvs look at something you want to buy. It’s too easy to rationalize and overlook things because you’ve got a vested interest.

A disinterested 3rd party is good thinking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kim Armstrong » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:41 pm

Be sure to check the sides from behind the wheels back. There has been some that water gets behind the the trim and causes rot from the bottom up.
Kim Armstrong
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Return to General Discussion