Cold Camping

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Cold Camping

Postby Cosmo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:27 pm

Enjoying Old Man Winter!
=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Re: Cold Camping

Postby lfhoward » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:10 pm

Hi Cosmo, I enjoyed your video. Thanks for responding to my comment about my new Propex heater over on YouTube! Mine is a used HS1600 model from the UK that I refurbished and got running again. I will be interested to see if the HS1600 uses less propane and electricity than the newer HS2000 models, since it doesn’t make quite as many BTU’s. I haven’t had it long enough to calculate its propane usage yet, but it draws about 1.4 amps when running. It’s definitely enough heat to make my trailer nice and toasty inside.

Cheers,
Lauren
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Modstock » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:18 pm

Great video .
We took our new trailer winter camping. Had the whole place to ourselves.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:11 pm

Modstock wrote:Had the whole place to ourselves.

Of course you did! :shock: Everyone else was home in front the fire where they belong. :snow
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:14 pm

Cosmo, you posted another great video … thanks!

You noted that you are experiencing quite a bit of condensation in your trailer given the cold weather. In cold weather, I also had experienced condensation on the windows of my well insulated cargo trailer. It was suggested to me by someone on this site that I further open my vents to allow more moist air to escape. I did not want to lose heat out the vents, but, in fact, found out that by further opening the vents, the heat loss was negligible and 100% of the condensation on the windows went away.

I am wondering if you could similarly let more of the moist air exhaust out of your trailer but not burn up too much more of your propane fuel.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:38 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:... It was suggested to me by someone on this site that I further open my vents to allow more moist air to escape. I did not want to lose heat out the vents, but, in fact, found out that by further opening the vents, the heat loss was negligible and 100% of the condensation on the windows went away.

I am wondering if you could similarly let more of the moist air exhaust out of your trailer but not burn up too much more of your propane fuel.

This is a good question and I have been wondering the same thing. What vents do you open? Is it better to open a side vent or window a crack, or do that with the ceiling fan vent?
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:01 pm

I have roof vents, side wall vents and two windows. I now open two roof vents and one side vent. However, I would think that any escape route would work, including the window itself. I did not previously mention it, but all my vents would accumulate condensation until I started venting more. I have a 7k watt Chinese diesel heater that on the lowest setting puts out about 2,600 btu/hr. When it is 20 degrees F outside, the lowest setting is still too much heat for my 16ft, well insulated trailer. Consequently, opening the vents also cools the trailer down to about 70 degrees F.
FYI, kerosene contains about 44% more btu's than propane.

Try it out for one night, you have nothing to loose except a few more ounces of propane per night.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cosmo » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:15 am

I have improvement when I ventilate tents in cold - It reduces interior snow!

I am in the camp of: A thermal curtains or a thicker curtain could only help, along with ventilation. When the sun is shining I open the doors and air out any moisture I can get rid of. Keeping snow out od the trailer that sticks to me is a big help (I brush it off). I added a breathable waterproof mattress cover. https://amzn.to/3s92DRF

Side window curtains conserve heat. My curtain is room darkening which makes it thick and hard to uncurl in cold. It seems most stuff made likes to be warm. I never had that problem with wood and wool.

These trailer vents work well for me year round. Mine are installed low and improve bottom to top airflow https://www.mgtrailer.com/vents

My wood walls have stayed dry so far. Metal that is exposed to the outside that comes in to the interior (cold bridge) gets frost, including the metal around the door opening on the inside, hinge plate and fender bolt heads. I keep a small microfiber wash cloth handy to give it a nice clean wipe. One wood spot has minor discoloration from repeated cold camping.

I am looking forward to spring. This winter the Arctic is flexing its muscles.

=Cosmo

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby rbtrary » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:05 pm

My solution to the cold floors issue Cosmo mentioned in the video is to use interlocking exercise floor mats for insulation, something like these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071W ... UTF8&psc=1

Easy custom cut to fit using a razor knife in my Silver Shadow, pic attached,
We heat with an eberspacher diesel fired clone air heater, which is similar to a propex but dryer, and even at 19 F we were quite comfy
Attachments
SS_inside.png
SS_inside.png (809.12 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
Last edited by rbtrary on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
rbtrary
Teardrop Builder

Postby Cosmo » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:10 pm

Nice insulation tip. Thanks. Is that flip down table the glasses are on in the photo?

Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:05 am

Cos:

Another chilling but great video.

:thumbsup:

Tony
Last edited by tony.latham on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Modstock » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:13 am

MickinOz wrote:
Modstock wrote:Had the whole place to ourselves.

Of course you did! :shock: Everyone else was home in front the fire where they belong. :snow
When the 2nd storm blew in, it drove out the rest of the fishermen .

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rbtrary » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:47 pm

Cosmo wrote:Nice insulation tip. Thanks. Is that flip down table the glasses are on in the photo?

You're welcome.
It's a free standing pedestal table I made from some pipe fittings and scrap lumber.
rbtrary
Teardrop Builder

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:33 pm

I don’t get out in the cold often, but one thing I started doing was hanging my jacket over the window. That helps block some of the cold, and keeps it handy for when you need it.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion