Transporting Canopies

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Transporting Canopies

Postby broox » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:37 am

For those of you with standalone canopies, how do you transport them to and from your campsites?
Throw it inside the teardrop? In your tow vehicle? On a roof rack or cargo basket?
broox
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Transporting Canopies

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:42 pm

Our Coleman 13’ x13’ canopy fits perfectly on the galley counter top.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:30 pm

I usually throw mine on the bed. It comes right out and I slide it underneath if its a late night. If I know that I'll be sleeping at a truck stop or something, I'll fold down the back seat in my Jeep and put it there. I really want to follow the "no stuff on the bed" policy, but there are certain things that its just much easier to carry them on the bed, and they quickly go underneath.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:12 pm

being I use a PU truck for a tow vehicle - it goes inside the covered PU box . What is nice about my PU canopy of today, is having the optional 'opening' R&L side windows, which open upwards out of the way. Having these, gives me direct access to the front of the box, so I build a front wood/shelf about 2ft wide that reaches from side to side at the upper lip of the 5ft wide box and is accessible from either side for the loading/unloading of the EZ-up. (I can remove or load it 'when-ever' I want for any use - no matter how full the PU box is at any time when traveling) 164169 Leaves more PU 'floor' space for the loading of 'all' of the other items - being I am always "guilty" of carrying just 'TOO' much stuff!!!!! :? The other thing nice about this set-up is even if things are 'wet', I can just load it in the PU box no matter what .............
gudmund
500 Club

Postby nevadatear » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:52 pm

Goes inside the SUV wih the seats down.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:02 pm

broox wrote:For those of you with standalone canopies, how do you transport them to and from your campsites?
Throw it inside the teardrop? In your tow vehicle? On a roof rack or cargo basket?

* I built a rack (48" wide x 18" deep) over my sloped front end (and over the spare tire & tongue box) to hold my two pop-up canopies, strapped down with bungies. I used a stainless/zinc industrial kitchen shelf, bolted to leftover slotted steel angle (also zinc) and with stainless hinges screwed into the sloped plywood. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68441&hilit=rack
canopy rack.PNG
experimental wire shelf as a rack; liked it so much I kept using more shelving just like it
canopy rack.PNG (219.32 KiB) Viewed 1336 times

* I left enough room to add a narrower shelf (36" wide x 14" deep, stainless) later on, which holds my "kitchen storage" (a Tractor Supply 32"x 14" box), also with stainless hinges. It lifts up for access to the spare and tongue box (the weight of the kitchen box is supported by resting atop the spare tire. Held in place with bungies/motorcycle strap, with lock.

* I didn't go too high up on the slope, or directly over the roof, because I needed more weight in front, and was limited by garage door height. When I added a fishing gear storage tube, I just barely cleared the garage door.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:31 pm

In the forward storage, under the headboard.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:54 pm

The galley lid closes without any problems.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to General Discussion