PROPEX HS2000 heater vs Diesle heater

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: PROPEX HS2000 heater vs Diesle heater

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:52 am

I do not know if this article comparing a Webasto diesel heater to a Propex heater has already been posted. I think it is a very good comprehensive article, well written, with fair conclusions.

https://faroutride.com/webasto-vs-propex/
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:52 pm

I think it is a very good comprehensive article...

It's my understanding that the knock-off diesel heaters don't have a thermostat. Or am I wrong?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:18 pm

tony.latham wrote:
I think it is a very good comprehensive article...

It's my understanding that the knock-off diesel heaters don't have a thermostat. Or am I wrong?

Tony

Hi Tony,
That is my understanding too. I believe they are incompatible with a thermostat as they have a distinct shutdown sequence that should be followed to avoid re-start problems. At least the last time I looked at them it seems that was one reason I gave them a thumbs down. THough I recall that some guy in Land of Oz developed some wizard of a add-on controller that gave them some extra features. Too much money for me and I don't recall the details.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:35 pm

My $125, Chinese diesel heater has a thermostat that, based on ambient temperature inside my trailer, triggers the unit to increase or decrease the volume of air/fuel mixture injected into the burn chamber, which, in turn, causes the amount of heat generated to increase or decrease, respectively, and simultaneously, increases increases or decreases the speed of the blower fan, respectively.

However, at the lowest setting, the unit continues to output heat, albeit at a reduced amount; but the unit does not shut down completely. Rather, the unit will idle at low and, all the while, output heat, until the ambient temperature falls below the set point in which case the thermostat calls for more heat.

Even at the lowest setting, the amount of heat is relatively high. Consequently, I have to open a window to keep the inside of my well insulated, 16 feet long trailer comfortable. That is really not a disadvantage for my use case because I need fresh air at all times.

Also, when you turn the unit off using the controller, the blower fan will turn up to full output to cool the unit down for a few minutes before the unit turns off completely. When the unit shuts down completely, the display on the controller is still lit up unless the power is cut off to the controller.

If you cut the power to the controller without letting the unit go through its shutdown procedure to cool the unit off, the electronic circuit board in the housing of the unit will melt.

For the reasons stated in the article, my use case motivates me to use the diesel heater. On the other hand, I fully understand why someone’s use case would motivate them to use a Propex. 8)
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:10 pm

I fully understand why someone’s use case would motivate them to use a Propex. 8)

I'm not sure what you mean by use case, but we'll not own another teardrop without a Propex.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion