PROPEX HS2000 heater vs Diesle heater

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

PROPEX HS2000 heater vs Diesle heater

Postby Cosmo » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:09 pm

Propex heater vs Diesel heater
If you own a Propex HS2000 heater or a Diesel heater and you are willing to talk about your experiences with it and collaborate on a video to bring good reliable owner experience and information to the community please email me at [email protected]

Thank You in advance
=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Re: PROPEX HS2000 heater vs Diesle heater

Postby bdosborn » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:53 pm

Here's a thread on my Espar...
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41232&p=760978
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:58 pm

Nothing like 180º heat on your wife's toes on a cold night. :frightened: No vids but always
willing to chat.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby rbtrary » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:47 am

+1 bdosborn

Why recommend diesel heaters: prevents condensation due to slow and steady warm air due to no cycling
https://mowgli-adventures.com/diesel-he ... s-rvs/#why

safety, superior heat, better temp control and quiet
https://www.rvsupercentre.co.nz/blog/ou ... l-heaters/

multi fuel option
Dry Heat WITHOUT Propane - Webasto Gas/Diesel Heater Installation in RV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGalqQvmYx8
rbtrary
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:16 pm

rbtrary wrote:+1 bdosborn

Why recommend diesel heaters: prevents condensation due to slow and steady warm air due to no cycling
https://mowgli-adventures.com/diesel-he ... s-rvs/#why

safety, superior heat, better temp control and quiet
https://www.rvsupercentre.co.nz/blog/ou ... l-heaters/

multi fuel option
Dry Heat WITHOUT Propane - Webasto Gas/Diesel Heater Installation in RV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGalqQvmYx8

We don't get condensation when our Propex is running. Why should we? It vents outside.

Superior heat? Better temp control? Hey, Propex heaters have thermostats. They put out 180º degree heat. How's a diesel put out superior heat? (Asking for a friend.) :D

Multi fuel? I've got a propane cook stove. That was one reason I went with a Propex. One fuel. No separate diesel tank.

Dry heat? Propex heaters vent combustion just like a Webasto. I think you are talking about an unvented Mr. Heater maybe? :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:47 pm

bdosborn wrote:Here's a thread on my Espar...
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41232&p=760978
Bruce

Hi Bruce, I am curious if your Espar fuel pump clicks as loud as its clone.
Thanks!
OP827
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:09 pm

Nope. While mine does click, I don't really hear it inside the camper. The jet exhaust sound when its starting up is louder than the clicking.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:19 pm

bdosborn wrote:Nope. While mine does click, I don't really hear it inside the camper. The jet exhaust sound when its starting up is louder than the clicking.
Bruce

Your pump must be quieter than the one in the video then. I wonder if such original and lower noise pump can be purchased as a part separately. It will likely work with a clone heater...
:thinking:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:32 pm

I *think* my pump is variable rate but has a fixed volume to work with my heater, dispensing a calibrated squirt each pump. I *think* the Chinese clones have variable rate and volume pumps so the espar pump probably wouldn't work. I did see on Foresty Forrests YouTube channel that he is trying out a pump that's supposed to be quieter.

https://www.youtube.com/user/forestyforest/videos

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:24 am

There are mufflers for the exhaust. No idea on how well they work - or if they affect the burning.

The diesel will give off the smell of burning diesel. Propane is clean -- no fumes. The only possible failure is due to incomplete combustion due to the intake or exhaust being covered.

Although mentioned above/below?, I think the idea of having a thermostat is really a major benefit. Propane can ignite/reignite very easily. In addition, you save on fan runtime/power consumption. Diesel heaters do not have thermostats - hence the constant on. I suppose in the middle of winter, you might not ever get too hot. But for the shoulder seasons, it would be nice to add only a little heat.

A positive for propane is the lower maintenance cost. The diesel heaters do foul and require some fixing or replacement. In listening here, I believe several diesel heater users have said it is cheaper/less expensive to just replace the units than clean them.

A minor negative point for propane is there is an altitude limit ( 9,000 feet??). It is in the manual. The same issue with camp stoves and high altitude.

Also as stated, if you are already plumbed for propane, you can run the heater anytime. Even the 1 lb cylinders would be nice. Small, clean, safe -- and quick to attach as needed.

The major drawback of the propane heaters appears to be the price. I have not seen or heard of cheaper version/cheaper manufacturer. No Chinese knockoffs. You will have to pay for it.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:36 am

troubleScottie wrote:A minor negative point for propane is there is an altitude limit ( 9,000 feet??). It is in the manual. The same issue with camp stoves and high altitude.

FWIW, I've used my Coleman propane stove at 11,000 feet while tent camping at Molas Lake near Silverton CO with no particular problem. Luckily I (and perhaps the stove) were ignorant of that limit. :thinking:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby rbtrary » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:55 am

my diesel heater came with a cabin thermostat
and no cycling is a plus

safety (read the above nz link) and lack of diesel exhaust smell, yada yada was all discussed before

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73267

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73312
rbtrary
Teardrop Builder

Postby saltydawg » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:16 pm

I bought a diesel heater, joined the facebook group on them. And started the return before it even got to me. The main reason I changed my mine was the no turning it off, just ramping down. It also seems like most of the sooting issues where due to running it on low.

I just did 3 nights in my trailer with night time temps down to just over freezing. I used an electric heater on low, 900 watts or about 2600 btw. It only ran for maybe 15 mins an hour, in 3 or 4 min cycles. My trailer still has air leaks, as I have not put all the weather seal on the top yet. So even on its lowest setting a diesel heater would have given me 3 or 4 times the heat I needed.

Sure there are lots of people who use the diesel heaters, but there are lots of stories of the chinese ones having issues. Maybe the brand names ones are better, but I will not buy one.

If I ever do an installed heater, propex it will be.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby western traveler » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:26 pm

Never say never but after a lifetime of exposure to the smells and maintenance of Diesel engines, stoves etc, I am down to just my diesel tractor. I guess I am biased...
Planning on a Propex 2000 for my build.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:23 pm

One of the things I really like about my Chinese diesel heater is that when boon docking I can go for 10 days on 5 gallons of fuel without having to go buy more fuel. At about 32 degrees F, I use about .50 gallons of fuel per 24 hour day; assuming constant running. But usually, I only use the heater for a 12 hour night, in which case 5 gallons woud last me 20 days.

I use pure kerosene as it burns cleaner than diesel. Also, I have never smelled fumes, except upon initial start up, and then only when I was standing outside next to the exhaust tube. I have never smelled fumes inside the trailer.

On the other hand, I can readily see if someone can afford a Propex heater, and can buy propane nearby, why a Propex heater would be a good choice.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion