Battery Heater

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Battery Heater

Postby foxontherun » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:28 pm

bdosborn wrote:I'm using a Victron temperature sensor and the heater relay is controlled by a Victron Cerbo GX. The temperature sensor is all set up to clamp to the battery terminal.
Bruce

Thanks for the info Bruce. :thumbsup:
I will need to research the inkbird and see if I can do something similar with it. Appreciate your help! :)
Harry
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby foxontherun » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:35 pm

Bruce, if my memory isn't tooooo bad I think I read where you put gun cloth under your battery heaters for padding. Do you think something like the thinsulate material might work for that? Just brainstorming for what I will put under mine; had not considered that until I read what you did.

Thanks,
Harry
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:38 am

I don't think thinsulate is a good choice, it will compress down to nothing under a heavy battery. I wanted some cushioning for the wires that come out from the heating pads so I used a gun cleaning pad I had laying around. I think I'd use a desktop sized mouse pad if I had to do it all over again and I didn't have anything laying around.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby foxontherun » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:00 pm

Mouse pad sounds like a good alternative; good point on thinsulate compressing down. Appreciate your input!

Thanks,
Harry :)
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby foxontherun » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:22 pm

Good evening,
Got some silicone trivet pads to put under the beehive heater pads for my Newtipower 300AH batteries. I've read in several posts on the forum about using a sheet of aluminum between the heater pads and batteries to help with consistent heat on the batteries. I understand you need to use a Kapton tape on the aluminum for DIY batteries but would you need to put it on the aluminum if you are using batteries already built in a plastic (ABS??) box?

I have a piece of my trailers aluminum 040 siding that I cut out when I put in my AC Vent and it is the perfect size for my battery box. Just want to make sure I don't still need to wrap it in tape since my batteries are not DIY cells.

Thoughts and advice appreciated. :)
Harry
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion