Coolers

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Coolers

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:00 pm

I'm sure this is here somewhere but what size cooler seems to big enough? I'm looking at https://www.lifetime.com/customerservic ... er&Search= , reported as good as Yeti my canoeing friends.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Re: Coolers

Postby saltydawg » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:11 pm

The lifetime coolers are great for the money.

Edit to walmart and look for one that is all scratched up, and ask for a discount. I did that with my cooler ( not a lifetime ) as it was scratched a bunch. they sold me a 100 buck cooler for 20 bucks. I can live with scratches
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:00 pm

Lifetime Brand - I have been using these coolers since W-M started selling them in 2017 and it is the only cooler brand I will buy!! started with their 55 gt (7day$98)) which I just gave to a friend a few weeks ago being I have replaced it with now with their new 65qt-8day version (Amazon sells this one $150)) which fits my PU just a "skoosh" better - they also have 77qt one, but it was 'just' a bit too big (they are also are selling a 115qt-$200- one now also which is just "WAY" TOO BIG for my needs!!!!) I do also own their small 28QT(5day-$77) one..... for the $$$ I think they are all GREAT!! :thumbsup: And YES, they are ""MADE in AMERICA"" (and when compared to the W-M brand made in China 'Ozark' brand - size for size they are lower $$$'ed)
Last edited by gudmund on Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gudmund
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Modstock » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:48 pm

I have the lifetime 55qt/7day cooler.
Awesome cooler. It just went through a rough week-long trip through hot southern Utah. Still had ice when we got home.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:27 am

This has absolutely nothing to do with the coolers you guys are talking about, so I guess I should apologise for somewhat of a hijack, but I can't resist showing you what I am waiting on.
On my first trip in the 'drop, I realised that I was going to be hearing the fridge running all night. I banished the fridge to the truck whence it came.
So I embarked on a search for a cool cooler. By cool I mean something that looks like it belongs, perhaps old enough to have been around back in the day.
So I bought an original all metal Malley's Esky. I'm going to say its 1970's maybe older.
Paid rather a lot, and it'll be a miracle if the ice lasts more than a day, but I feel it's going to fit the theme nicely.

And it will fit the fridge slide exactly - unless the dood with the tape measure screwed up.

Can't wait.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Lar ... true&rt=nc
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby swoody126 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:43 am

for the size issue ... if your location is already determined/built then the Q has to be answered backwards

¿ what can you find in your market that will fill the most of the allotted space ?

for personal/solo adventures i manage w/ an ice chest in the 45qt - 49qt range

if the bridal unit is along then i add a 15qt - 20qt unit for stuff intended for use during the day

A KEY to maximizing your main cooler's capacity is to only open it 1x/day in the morning to transfer your already cold daily rations n beverages to the smaller day cooler

i used this practice for a week long boat trip on the Texas Gulf Coast and had ice left in my main cooler at the end of the trip

duplicated my results on a 6 day trip up into the high desert of New Mexico where the cooler lived in the uncovered back of the pick up

the actual brand is less important today than just a short few years ago

there are quite a few coolers on today's market that folowed YETI's lead in use of modern technoogy and many of those are substantially le$$ than the YETI

if you can predict regular replenishing of your ice supply your options open up quite a bit because you can dedicate more of the cooler's capacity to food stuffs w/ ice taking up much less space

which ever way you go IMHO get the largest(exterior size) cooler that will fit

the physical size of an old style 48qt Igloo equates to the physical size of a 45qt YETI type

remember that there is no law requiring to locate your cooler longitudinally under your counter top you can locate it transversely if you choose

BON CHANCE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:06 am

The best answer I can give you is. It depends. It depends on how much food you need to take for how many people. My wife and I can camp and live somewhat luxuriously using my Lifetime 55QT cooler for a week long trip. If we add another couple and some kids that math is blown totally out of the water.

We occasionally do a beach camping / party weekend with extended family, my wifes family is large, The beer cooler alone is typically my 150qt Igloo Marine cooler.

FWIW, I selected the Lifeteim 55qt as part of my design for the truck bed camper. My intent is to have the actual bed at just atop the truck bed rails. (Custom wide camper shell to accomodate a king size bed shortened to fit the 6.5 foot truck bed). That means I have after accomodating for the bedrug in the truck, a 22" space between the bottom of the truck bed, and the bottom of the bed, bed...

I probably could have gone with the 77qt, but the 55qt fit dimensions other ways to allow me to have my water carriers, kitchen box, port o potty, and still fit an EZ Up and my Privy tent under the sleeping bed.

The 77qt could be nice IF fitted with a means of dividing things up easier. The biggest problem with coolers is keeping items easily findable, and not fouled by melting ice water. I use rubbermaid containers, and contained block ice, basically I am repurposing Fiji water bottles and freezing them solid. No leaking melt water, only condensate in the cooler. So no fouling of foods.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby gudmund » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:25 am

My location of choice for the cooler for me = it goes into the PU box/just inside the tale gate. Have a 2x6 cut to length for the interlock engagement with the PU box sides 18inchs forward of the tailgate (keeps it and my toolbox from sliding forward = can open the tailgate for full access to either at any time!! they both fit 'end to end' the width of the box = both fully accessible with the opening the canopy window above tailgate and/or full opening the canopy & tailgate for the removing of either at anytime if need be). I will 'never' have a cooler mounted inside a teardrop again!! after letting the ice melt to much and than ending up on a rough road = water slopping all over the back of the trailer being the cooler I had than was a cheap basic version "without" a rim seal (which the Lifetime cooler has built in to it!!!) The tailgate location also makes it a better place for loading/unloading at a much better height for access and also makes it a better location for food after parking the trailer/disconnecting and than driving the countryside = always having your food/drinks with you!! NO mater where the trailer is parked!!!! :thumbsup: take care
gudmund
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:58 pm

I carry 2 45 qt Yeti's. One for food that stays in the galley and one for drinks that stays in my Jeep. The second one doubles as a means to carry groceries or a lunch while out for the day.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Return to General Discussion