Looking for suggestions

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Looking for suggestions

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:22 am

QueticoBill wrote:As far as storing poles, neatest design I've seen is to frame floor with ply skins top and bottom and leave a opening at rear. Slide poles in. Add stops in framing so ends are never lost. A hinged or removable cover. Unused space, convenient, and if using steel (conduit) keeps weight low.

Just an idea.

Hmm.. I'll think on that. I do wish to mod the sides of the camper by flaring them and create more basic storage. That could be the spot for something like that. :thinking:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:35 am

I was wondering about a dining fly we used in scouts and I bought one. https://images.app.goo.gl/wyn1buEMybND4RnY9

I have assembled and set up a 16' x 16' solo but it takes two to move it. I suppose you could set up and back trailer under.

Just an offbeat thought. Not lightweight. Any size - just dependent on tarp sizes and cutting "roof" poles to correct length. Very stable even in high winds.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:49 am

QueticoBill wrote:I was wondering about a dining fly we used in scouts and I bought one. https://images.app.goo.gl/wyn1buEMybND4RnY9

I have assembled and set up a 16' x 16' solo but it takes two to move it. I suppose you could set up and back trailer under.

Just an offbeat thought. Not lightweight. Any size - just dependent on tarp sizes and cutting "roof" poles to correct length. Very stable even in high winds.

My setup is a bit different... Image With nothing on the roof to interfere, pretty easy to just run the fly over it and let the ends hang over. Should make for a very easy set, I hope.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:46 am

Understood. I generally dislike the idea of a tarp of any material in contact with a roof of anything. I just like to avoid trapped moisture.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:43 am

After several attempts of deployment and not being fully happy with any.. I'm either going to make my own fly or restitch the one I have to fold/angle downward from the roof. I am able to tie-off to trees and get a good set, but I'm not always near trees! I have worked out a way to pole/post/tie-off to the truck making it non-reliant on anything else. This is why I see making/restitching my own.

Was very disappointed when my purchased fly came in and learned it was bat-winged... argh.. It's okay, just wish it was rectangular as shown...
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion