Looking for suggestions

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Looking for suggestions

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:52 pm

I bought a 15'x14' fly that fits the bill for me. Now I'm working on how to mount it.

Issue comes down to how to treat again or how to compensate for those hard driving rains. I think the fly will do this. Ya, I can toss it over and lift the top, but... I hoping to get a bit more clever about this. How can I mount this on a side and deploy? I'm thinking it's in the folding, but what do you say?

This is on my truck camper, yet does sort of relate to anyone doing a lift top. My top is 6.5ft x 10ft with the fly being 14ft x 15ft.

Just for reference...
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Looking for suggestions

Postby TimC » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:17 pm

I'm not sure if this is the wrong direction but have you looked at Keder rails and rope? It's for attaching awnings to roofs, walls, etc. Sorry if that's not what you are thinking. Just throwing it out there.

I get my keder from sailrite.com. Also available from other sources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HQz_35hzzo
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:28 pm

You can buy collapsible tent poles. Maybe use those to give it some structure. You'll have to see sleeves/pockets or maybe grommets will do.

I'm not sure from the drawing if you are looking for more than just an overhang to keep out wind driven rain but poles and ropes will get you there.

Using Keder rail to make awnings would be slick but more work.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:29 am

I thought of the keder rail route... but... that means 4 separate awnings (like I have on the back already). Trying to do a simplified 360° awning with easy 'mounted' deployment.

Have a feeling it will end up being a toss-over.

Here's where my mind goes:

Fly gets folded to fit on the rollers. When rolled up the fly mounts on the rear like my current one does. Rear roller detaches and hooks on the poles for rear deployment (like I now have). Front roller than could be rolled forward and front roller tied off to front bumper (or something). Sides unfold and tent poled/staked (may only require one middle one each side).

Folding could be weird, yet I think rolling could be okay, even if required to pull it back off the roof and roll (though I'm hoping not).

I do keep coming back to it being a toss over.. Though I'd challenge the minds out there!! :thinking:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:11 am

Having a bit of a time working the angles, but here's another picture of the idea:

RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:32 pm

I have my fly here now and ran through a couple of sets with it. Not so sure about mounting it anymore! I need to play with it a bit more and work it through. It one of the benefits of not having anything on that roof to interfere! Let it slide off the front and driver's side it creates a nice shade tarp for 2 sides.

I'll take some pic's of trial sets as we get back to exploring.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:10 pm

Hi RJ,

It's difficult to see more details on your drawing, apart from general shape.

I imagined these options:
1. A big fly rolled on side tubes (lime color).
2. Rollout awnings over the windows with side tubes from under the lifting roof.(yellow)

Ropes (blue) attached to truck could be an option to keep support poles and side tubes (orange) tied down to sustain winds.

OP827
Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:52 pm

I am having trouble trying to imagine what you are trying to accomplish here. Are you trying to protect the pop up, or are you trying to provide a protected space under the canopy using the truck more or less as a wall?

If it's the latter, have you considered a 270 degree awning rig? That would give you cover across one side and the back at least, and there are lots of DIY designs out there for them...

Of course I may be totally off my rocker here. Been an odd week.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby rjgimp » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:16 pm

I'm all in on some yet to be determined Rube Goldberg mounting system where some of it would deploy one direction and some the other. Maybe even spring loaded like a window shade. The coolness factor is certainly worth extra points in the overall scheme of things. It would also eliminate having to store it somewhere in between uses. However...

All things considered just tossing it over the top and staking guy lines tied to the corners, perhaps with 2 or 4 adjustable poles at advantageous points for water runoff, might be the best choice. Depending on your parking spot any given day, you might want more of it extended to the rear and to the passenger side and on a different day in a different location you may want the opposite.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:06 am

rjgimp wrote:I'm all in on some yet to be determined Rube Goldberg mounting system where some of it would deploy one direction and some the other. Maybe even spring loaded like a window shade. The coolness factor is certainly worth extra points in the overall scheme of things. It would also eliminate having to store it somewhere in between uses. However...

All things considered just tossing it over the top and staking guy lines tied to the corners, perhaps with 2 or 4 adjustable poles at advantageous points for water runoff, might be the best choice. Depending on your parking spot any given day, you might want more of it extended to the rear and to the passenger side and on a different day in a different location you may want the opposite.

I'm falling into this idea as well. It struck me as having more options as you mentioned. I've tried a couple different deployments now and like the options. The fly packs small so stowing is not problem. The extending poles I would have to work out a system on the side of the cabin (outside). :thinking:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:09 am

dbhosttexas wrote:I am having trouble trying to imagine what you are trying to accomplish here. Are you trying to protect the pop up, or are you trying to provide a protected space under the canopy using the truck more or less as a wall?

If it's the latter, have you considered a 270 degree awning rig? That would give you cover across one side and the back at least, and there are lots of DIY designs out there for them...

Of course I may be totally off my rocker here. Been an odd week.

This is for added protection in driving rains. Since I'm mainly a screen-house once lifted and I still want the air flow, the fly will add that needed protection. Besides.. have you seen the pricing on those 270° awnings? :shock: Ouch!! It would cost more than my whole camper build...
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:45 am

As far as storing poles, neatest design I've seen is to frame floor with ply skins top and bottom and leave a opening at rear. Slide poles in. Add stops in framing so ends are never lost. A hinged or removable cover. Unused space, convenient, and if using steel (conduit) keeps weight low.

Just an idea.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:09 pm

RJ Howell wrote:
rjgimp wrote:I'm all in on some yet to be determined Rube Goldberg mounting system where some of it would deploy one direction and some the other. Maybe even spring loaded like a window shade. The coolness factor is certainly worth extra points in the overall scheme of things. It would also eliminate having to store it somewhere in between uses. However...

I'm falling into this idea as well. It struck me as having more options as you mentioned. I've tried a couple different deployments now and like the options. The fly packs small so stowing is not problem. The extending poles I would have to work out a system on the side of the cabin (outside). :thinking:

Yeah, that is why I recommended a DIY approach. Commercially made 270 awnings are STEEPLY priced...

I get what you are going for now. And sadly I still am pulling a blank. I'll think on it some... Honestly due to the pop up, it's kind of a tough nut to crack.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:44 pm

Are you usually solo or two people.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:19 am

QueticoBill wrote:Are you usually solo or two people.

Travel as a couple, yet set most items up so that I can solo the setup. Tossing the fly over before lifting is easy enough, yet having a storage point mounted would be very convenient. I have tried a set to see how I would fold-n-roll and found I end up hanging it almost completely off the truck to fold. Then came keeping it folded while rolling. :?

As I thought of it more.. I'd be stowing the fly wet! Putting it out to dry, if mounted to the truck, brings another issue.. I'm going to run it as a throw-over for now.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion