Fill Space in side wall...or not??

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Fill Space in side wall...or not??

Postby Capebuild » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:20 pm

I'm just about to glue up the inner layer to the middle layer of the sidewall. I had cut a lineal space (dado of sorts) from the top to the bottom where I ran wiring ..... (from where the elex components will be on the floor to the roof cavity where the wiring will branch out to the devices). see attached pictures. When the ply inner layer is glued up to the middle section which holds these wires, that wire space will get covered by that inner ply panel.

My question is... I've got some space left over in that run where the wires reside. At first I thought that was a good thing, as I can run more wires down, if needed, at a later date. However I'm wondering if it's just left as a space, will condensation build up in there and cause issues... and I'm now wondering if I should fill that open space with "something".

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

John
Attachments
IMG_5570.JPG
IMG_5570.JPG (131.69 KiB) Viewed 292 times
space.jpg
space.jpg (153.46 KiB) Viewed 292 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Fill Space in side wall...or not??

Postby noseoil » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:00 pm

Expanding foam to hold the wires or use urethane to coat the channel, then lay in the wires. Or just do both...
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:46 pm

John, I have 4 similar plows for my 4 cabin ceiling light switches and never filled them.
It's covered with 1/8" Red Oak plywood and have no idea what's going on under there and really don't care as I don't have moisture issues.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:03 pm

We have 1.5" EPS

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:05 pm

thank you for the replies/help.

I wound up hot gluing the wires together and to the wooden channel. I did urethane the bare wood..... and thought if I just squirted a bit of expandable foam in the top and bottom channel openings that would kind of limit the air flow in the channel and yet still keep it open if I ever wanted to fish additional wires through.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion