Converting to metric

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Converting to metric

Postby safronsue » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:30 pm

Hiya, European here, wanna be woody maker. Is there an easy way to convert all the plans of the Wyoming Woody to metric or perhaps similar metric plans exist? I keep finding plans I like but they’re all imperial
safronsue
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Converting to metric

Postby MickinOz » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:10 am

Convert all measurements to inches, then it's 25.4 mm to the inch. Easy. :)

There are, of course, 12 inches in a foot.

So if something is 2 feet, 6 and 13/16 inches, then it is (2 x12) + 6 + (13/16) = 24 + 6 + 0.8125 = 30.8125 inches.
30.8125 x 25.4 = 782.6 mm

Or, just use this nifty little calculator:

https://www.simetric.co.uk/feet_to_metres.php
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby MickinOz » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:16 am

I thought about doing this for the generic Benroy plans.
Then I thought about how many people would want to strangle me if I made a mistake. :o

The other consideration is that it really only works properly if you are able to get imperial size plywood.
The generic Benroy, for example, uses a 96 inch by 48 inch plywood sheet for the side wall profile.

That's an imperial 8 x 4 sheet.
2438.4mm x 1219.2mm
Here in Oz, we round that and refer to it as 2440 x 1220.

But we really only get 2440 x 1220 if we buy imported marine ply.
Domestically produced plywood is usually 2400 x 1200.

So one has to be creative in converting imperial to metric. Where does on absorb the 38.4 mm length differential if one is only able to obtain 2400mm sheets, etc?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby safronsue » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:05 am

:lol: Mick in Oz. Probably would put your life in danger.
safronsue
Teardrop Inspector

Postby swoody126 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:22 am

the easiest way for me is to simply use measuring devices w/ both metric and real(imperial) measurements on them ;-)

the only device i have left in the barn w/ only real measurements on it is my OLD folding wooden rule

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:58 am

I think your question from imperial to metric is more about the size of your typical material.

The design is a shape. And an approximate shape. This is not a supersonic plane's wing. It is a half wing shape.

If you are attempting to get the side panel to fit on one sheet of ply, you need to scale down the drawing. This might be limited to a single dimension, say height as your design might be longer than a single sheet of ply. It is possible to scale any shape within most drawing/photo/design tools.

You can generate your own design. You can also use ellipses or portions of ellipses to generate similar smooth curves.

Many of the dimensions eg shelf thickness, thickness of the spares are quite arbitrary. Making them slightly smaller (or bigger) is more an issue of what materials are at hand. They are not really structural ie if they are slightly smaller, the TD will not collapse. Of course, the shelves and cross pieces do add to the structural stability. Many designs have space for a battery or water jugs or frig/ice chest. Those dimensions need to be adjusted to your needs.

Some dimensions are more fixed. The size of the door, especially if you are making your own is more of an ergonomic size. So unless you are particularly small, build to the original size. Same with length of sleeping area. Although there is some constraint on mattress size, the length is there due to the comfort of person(s) sleeping/sitting there.

A good rule of thumb is to get approximately the same thickness for the ply: 1/4" is about 5mm, 3/4" is about 18mm, etc. This affects the strength and flex of the panel. Too thick and it will not bend enough. Roofing is thinner, walls and floors are thicker.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:22 pm

swoody126 wrote:the easiest way for me is to simply use measuring devices w/ both metric and real(imperial) measurements on them ;-)

the only device i have left in the barn w/ only real measurements on it is my OLD folding wooden rule

sw

The British only standardised the real Imperial system with the Weights and Measures Act of 1824.
Previous to that, a foot or a pound or a gallon was different depending who was selling you something.
While the US "imperial" system is based on the real Imperial system, there are some significant differences.
I'm thinking US gallons and tons - apparently you were getting ripped off with your wine and wheat since forever. :)

The French fixed it for us shortly after the Revolution.
So the current Metric system of the 1790's actually predates the real Imperial system of the British, and also the not quite real "Imperial" system of the US.
Last edited by MickinOz on Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:26 pm

troubleScottie wrote:1/4" is about 5mm, 3/4" is about 18mm

Sorry, can't let this pass.
1/4 inch is 6.35mm, 3/4 inch is 19.05mm
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:40 pm

MickinOz wrote:

The whole trailer is designed around a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood. What size is a standard sheet in metric land?
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby safronsue » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:48 pm

Socal Tom wrote:
MickinOz wrote:

The whole trailer is designed around a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood. What size is a standard sheet in metric land?

1250 x 2500. Interestingly there is a 6.5mm thickness which is nearer to the 1/4 inch of course.

I’m still very much in the wondering if I am capable of this whole project stage. I own a few basic tools but can borrow big stuff and have people around me with skills but I’m practical, like a challenge, and can follow instructions. Which is why if I can avoid an issue I will and this is the first issue but I may have to deal with it as I have not found as detailed instructions as the fab trailerbuilder site.

Anyway, to the drawing board :D

Thanks all for your input.
safronsue
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MickinOz » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:25 am

safronsue wrote:
Socal Tom wrote:
MickinOz wrote:

1250 x 2500. Interestingly there is a 6.5mm thickness which is nearer to the 1/4 inch of course.

I’m still very much in the wondering if I am capable of this whole project stage. I own a few basic tools but can borrow big stuff and have people around me with skills but I’m practical, like a challenge, and can follow instructions. Which is why if I can avoid an issue I will and this is the first issue but I may have to deal with it as I have not found as detailed instructions as the fab trailerbuilder site.

Anyway, to the drawing board :D

Thanks all for your input.

Wow, you should be smiling - wish we'd rounded up here in Oz. We rounded down to 1200 x 2400.
I'm rather envious that you have nearly 2 inches more height and nearly 4 inches more length to play with.

Anyway, it's still easy. Especially if you have a look at the Generic Benroy plans.

So easy to follow, and very easily adaptable to metric.
There is no lofting (marking out points on a grid to draw around for the curves). As elegant as a Wyoming Woody? Maybe not. Classic teardrop style? I think so.
The real point is though, the original teardrop builders started from whatever was available and cheap, and adapted to it.
You can easily do the same.
I'm sure you can do it, even though we have never met, because I reckon just about anyone can.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby safronsue » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:37 am

Super encouraging. How nice. Thanks for that Mick.
Off to look at Generic Benroy plans again now.
So much to read on here! :thumbsup:
safronsue
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion