Ideas on A/C and heat

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Ideas on A/C and heat

Postby Indiana Rambler » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:56 am

So I am in the middle of my build at the moment and have been pondering the a/c and heating equipment. As for my build, I am wanting to build a boon docking camper (for the most part) and I have been contemplating heating and cooling options. I understand a 12v system isn’t likely to run an ac unit very well or at all depending on the type of unit. At the moment, I’m thinking of a window unit mounted to the tongue of the camper, and build a manifold that would mount to the output side of it, and plumb some ports into the camper. I understand I would need to have a 110v hookup for this option, which on hot days, this would probably be the option anyway. I have watched a few YouTube videoes of the Dometic 12v top mount ac unit, but seems to be a decent draw on the electrical system.
As far as the heat, it seems One can’t go wrong with the propex heater, but I’d like to see or hear some other options out there that have worked. I’m just trying to see what others may have had good luck with out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Re: Ideas on A/C and heat

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:43 am

I believe you are right about needing shore power (110 vac) for air conditioning. Several folks on this forum (years ago) did the calculation. If you are camping in the dry southwest, there are several options for building swamp coolers out there that allegedly would work on a reasonable amount of battery power.

When we realized we would be traveling through the hot and humid mid-west in the summertime, we decided to either modify a home AC unit, as described by Shadow Catcher https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44561#p835690, or buy a Cimaterite. The time vs money trade dictated the latter for us, as we were busy building the teardrop at the time. (If I did it now, I'd go the other way. I'd look for a good deal for an AC unit, at the end of the season, or thrift store find.) Not sure if Cimaterite is still in business; they evidently weren't great about honoring their warranty. I used that as an excuse to open it up and see how it works, ready to make modifications as we saw fit. In the event, they had a wired remote option that we used, but I modified how the wiring came out of the box.

We didn't buy it for the heater, but the Cimaterite has one, just an electric heater for use with shore power. We've used it in Fall, at temps down to a little below freezing, and it works great for us. But if we had built our teardrop for Winter camping, and wanted the flexibility of camping away from shore power, we'd have probably gone with the Propex heater, or something similar.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:54 pm

Just as with aircon, electric heat is only practical from shore power, or maybe (yuk) a genset.

The parking heaters that burn gasoline or diesel/kerosene work very well, most are way overkill

and running at low duty cycle increases maintenance overhead.

Not simplest but maybe best efficiency, heat an insulated water tank, then a thermostat controls small pump to circulate into the living space, floor embedded pipe or air exchange / radiator / calorifier.

AKA hydronics.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:29 pm

I am wanting to build a boon docking camper .... and I have been contemplating heating

Take a look at my Propex heater installation here:

https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=72075&p=1271153&hilit=propex+heater+installation#p1271153

They are a great heater. Just make sure you are sitting down when you price 'em. We use ours a lot more than I thought we would. (And we'll never have another tear without one.)

:frightened:

I can't help you with the AC issue.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Indiana Rambler » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:04 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:I believe you are right about needing shore power (110 vac) for air conditioning. Several folks on this forum (years ago) did the calculation. If you are camping in the dry southwest, there are several options for building swamp coolers out there that allegedly would work on a reasonable amount of battery power.

When we realized we would be traveling through the hot and humid mid-west in the summertime, we decided to either modify a home AC unit, as described by Shadow Catcher https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44561#p835690, or buy a Cimaterite. The time vs money trade dictated the latter for us, as we were busy building the teardrop at the time. (If I did it now, I'd go the other way. I'd look for a good deal for an AC unit, at the end of the season, or thrift store find.) Not sure if Cimaterite is still in business; they evidently weren't great about honoring their warranty. I used that as an excuse to open it up and see how it works, ready to make modifications as we saw fit. In the event, they had a wired remote option that we used, but I modified how the wiring came out of the box.

We didn't buy it for the heater, but the Cimaterite has one, just an electric heater for use with shore power. We've used it in Fall, at temps down to a little below freezing, and it works great for us. But if we had built our teardrop for Winter camping, and wanted the flexibility of camping away from shore power, we'd have probably gone with the Propex heater, or something similar.

Tom
Big help on the A/C! I’m still reading the thread from Shadow Catcher!

Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Postby Indiana Rambler » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:06 am

John61CT wrote:Just as with aircon, electric heat is only practical from shore power, or maybe (yuk) a genset.

The parking heaters that burn gasoline or diesel/kerosene work very well, most are way overkill

and running at low duty cycle increases maintenance overhead.

Not simplest but maybe best efficiency, heat an insulated water tank, then a thermostat controls small pump to circulate into the living space, floor embedded pipe or air exchange / radiator / calorifier.

AKA hydronics.
Now there’s a thought! Thank you for the recommendations! I do plan to install a 20 gallon water tank on the camper.

Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Postby Indiana Rambler » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:12 am

tony.latham wrote:
I am wanting to build a boon docking camper .... and I have been contemplating heating

Take a look at my Propex heater installation here:

https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=72075&p=1271153&hilit=propex+heater+installation#p1271153

They are a great heater. Just make sure you are sitting down when you price 'em. We use ours a lot more than I thought we would. (And we'll never have another tear without one.)

:frightened:

I can't help you with the AC issue.

Tony
That’s a really nice install. I’ve been looking into those quite a bit. Seems like it’s not the cheapest route, but the no-brainer, one and done, we have heat option.

Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:23 am

Seems like it’s not the cheapest route...

So true. I lucked into mine as an open box $400 deal. But If I had to, I'd crunch out the near $1G for one. They are that great. Miserly on both the propane and the electricity.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:51 am

I want to add my plug for the Propex heater also. It does exactly what I want it to, making dry heat on a thermostat, without using a lot of propane or electricity. Also, it doesn’t require periodic disassembly and cleaning of soot, like a diesel heater does.

My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:59 am

Cosmo Weems has some videos on youtube about the pros and cons of different kinds of heaters in his teardrop. It is worth looking him up because he uses his trailer a lot in winter. Spoiler alert: he has a Propex.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:29 pm

As far as I can find out ClimateRight seems to no longer be in business. We have been using this for 14 years with modifications, I, it seems am never quite done with it, The latest was adding a HEPA filter to fight badly built camp fires, which, works.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Indiana Rambler » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:22 pm

lfhoward wrote:I want to add my plug for the Propex heater also. It does exactly what I want it to, making dry heat on a thermostat, without using a lot of propane or electricity. Also, it doesn’t require periodic disassembly and cleaning of soot, like a diesel heater does.

Very nice install!
Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Postby Indiana Rambler » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:25 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:As far as I can find out ClimateRight seems to no longer be in business. We have been using this for 14 years with modifications, I, it seems am never quite done with it, The latest was adding a HEPA filter to fight badly built camp fires, which, works.

Shadow Catcher wrote:As far as I can find out ClimateRight seems to no longer be in business. We have been using this for 14 years with modifications, I, it seems am never quite done with it, The latest was adding a HEPA filter to fight badly built camp fires, which, works.

I’ve been pouring over your thread on the ac unit you built. Seems your design is at the top of our list for cooling!

Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:35 pm

Just FWIW, I run a 5000 BTU GE mechanical window unit AC with a 1KW Sportsman generator no problem at all in regular mode. Eco mode not so happy. If you want to do it on 12V, you are going to need a LOT of solar to run it, but it can be done.

https://youtu.be/ak_Trm-Pbyw

Heating is done with a simple Coleman heater and partially open windows while awake, and a warm wife under the sleeping bag while sleeping...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby Indiana Rambler » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:14 am

dbhosttexas wrote:Just FWIW, I run a 5000 BTU GE mechanical window unit AC with a 1KW Sportsman generator no problem at all in regular mode. Eco mode not so happy. If you want to do it on 12V, you are going to need a LOT of solar to run it, but it can be done.

https://youtu.be/ak_Trm-Pbyw

Heating is done with a simple Coleman heater and partially open windows while awake, and a warm wife under the sleeping bag while sleeping...
Very nice setup!

Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion