Best TV setup for 2022

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Best TV setup for 2022

Postby tomhawk » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:43 pm

I agree with the notion that hanging out by the campfire is the desired camping activity.
Sometimes it is too damp and cold to do that. A little entertainment can be good.

Here is a video projector set up we are using. It only uses 4 watts. The projected image is over 3 feet wide. The projector is rechargeable using USB power. It is very compact and weighs less than a pound.

171608 171607

Here are more details on this setup: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=74583&p=1299339#p1299339

GPW wrote:Since we built our trailer(s) primarily for Hurricane evacuation , we felt the need for a small TV to watch the news of how things were developing ...

Last Friday we had the first severe weather situation for the season. We had a tornado go by just west of us. We lost power for a bit.
We were able to reassure ourselves by monitoring the weather radar on our cell phones. Our TV did not work.

Tom
Evolution is driven by mistakes, not plans.

My build: https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=75248
tomhawk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:26 am

We always watched a TV ( somewhere ) to see what was going on at home ( the extent of the disaster) , and when we could return ...Back during Katrina , our cell phones would only text ... I'm sure things ( and phones) have vastly improved by now ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tomhawk » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:30 am

GPW wrote:I'm sure things ( and phones) have vastly improved by now ...

Indeed. Hurricane Katrina was nearly 18 years ago! One of the founders of Intel, Gordon Moore who recently died posited Moore's Law:
The capacity and cost of electronics would improve by a factor of two every 18 months. This held true during this period and computers are at least 1000 times better since then.

Those cell phones now have computing power that is leaps and bounds more powerful than what they had on the Apollo lunar spacecraft.

My wife picked up a reconditioned smart phone off the big online store for $88. It has been nice to use the camera feature as well.

Tom
Last edited by tomhawk on Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evolution is driven by mistakes, not plans.

My build: https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=75248
tomhawk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Onajourney » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:57 am

I bought a 24" 120V smart TV for $50 on Craigslist. I will connect it to my phone via bluetooth to stream live TV, news, weather or movies we loaded on phone or tablet. I will power the TV with my Ecoflow River Pro. The TV draws around 20 watts. The River Pro is 600W. That over 20 hours of usable hours. We might use it for a couple hours at the most. The other nice thing about the setup is we can move it anywhere we want. The nes portable power stations are a true game changer.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby shannonswyatt » Mon May 01, 2023 3:44 pm

Not a tv, but you can get a external monitor that connects to a cell phone and watch YouTube/Netflix/etc. Of course if there is no internet there is no TV. The upshot is they are powered via the cable from the phone, or through another USB-C connection. Plus you can use it as an additional monitor for a PC.
shannonswyatt
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to General Discussion