Which way should I go? Teardrop needing TLC

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Which way should I go? Teardrop needing TLC

Postby TearDropCincinnati » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:40 pm

Hey All,

I'm here in Cincinnati.

A number of years ago I bought a custom teardrop from this guy who built it. I took a handful of trips and had a lot of fun using it. My wife and I got a second dog last year, and so we all don't fit in the teardrop anymore. I didn't realize how much maintenance and upkeep is involved with campers, and so I hit a point where I it's just been sitting in my driveway for a couple of years. I don't know if I should sell it for scrap or if someone would likely want to buy it, fix it up a little and redo a few things to customize it for themselves.

Any tips? I feel like probably selling it for scrap would be the best route, because it might take a quite a while to find the right buyer for a case like this.

Alex
TearDropCincinnati
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Which way should I go? Teardrop needing TLC

Postby Wrecit » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:09 pm

Scrap value would probably be limited to the frame and you might not get much. Might list it for a little over scrap price on FB marketplace and do something unheard of there and be honest about it's issues lol.

If you were a little closer I know an idiot in Pittsburgh that would make you an offer (I am the idiot. If I was not in the middle of my enclosed conversion I would probably make the trip anyway)
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:47 pm

I didn't realize how much maintenance and upkeep is involved with campers...

I'm scratching my head. I've had a teardrop (or two or three) since 2004 and almost no maintenance.

I don't know if I should sell it for scrap or if someone would likely want to buy it, fix it up a little and redo a few things to customize it for themselves.

So... without a photo, we can't really give you much advice.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby TearDropCincinnati » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:43 am

Thanks for the replies. The first few weeks I had my teardrop, I didn't have a cover or a garage, so I'm sure it was vulnerable to some rain, etc in those first few weeks. I have a cover on it now, but there have been a few occasions when the wind blows the cover off. I have it tied down better now, but those few missteps did not protect the teardrop adequately.

I don't know if you can access this listing:

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tro/d ... 59112.html
TearDropCincinnati
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Modstock » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:53 pm

Needs some interior pics but, it sounds like a great deal.
My first teardrop was priced the same. It needed the hatch rebuilt cause he didn't use a hurricane hinge .
It had a good foundation, solid walls and ceiling. Over the next few years I rebuilt the hatch, new trim and built cabinets inside and galley.
To be honest I wouldn't take any less than $1,000 especially if it has power and A/C .

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:11 pm

Have you seen te prices of those doors lately. You probably have $1000 of doors and windows in something that looks like it just needs sanding and re-varnishing.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby TearDropCincinnati » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:03 pm

There is some wood rot on the back, under the hatch, because my cover blew off a few times and the hinges in the back allowed some moisture to get in the back side. So there is some work that needs to be done in order to address the rot in the back.
TearDropCincinnati
Teardrop Inspector

Postby saywhatthat » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:29 pm

If your not planning to fix. clean it up a bit . then try to sale .what do you have to louse. GO a bit high then slowly come down. on your next one I believe there's ways to build you never have to worry about rot very little maintenance.
TONY do you even have humidity where you're at :)
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:37 am

Wrecit wrote:...I know an idiot in Pittsburgh that would make you an offer (I am the idiot...)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know a guy just like that. He sleeps with my wife...
Oh, yeah... I am that guy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:08 am

TearDropCincinnati wrote:There is some wood rot on the back, under the hatch, because my cover blew off a few times and the hinges in the back allowed some moisture to get in the back side. So there is some work that needs to be done in order to address the rot in the back.

My gut feeling is its value is for salvage since it shouldn't have leaked to begin with --it was built by someone that didn't do his research. Cover or no cover.

The value is in the salvage of the parts. The doors, windows, etc. Maybe the trailer is worth something but that's questionable since the axle is too far back.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:01 am

TONY do you even have humidity where you're at :)

We do. But when it's hot we thankfully have it in the 10-20% range. Not so much when it rains.

That teardrop is probably leaking because of the wrong hinge or an improperly installed hurricane. It's probably not rot but delamination.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion