drop axel

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

drop axel

Postby fredo » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:21 pm

anyone use or has thoughts on using a drop axle for a 5'X10' build? I am looking at a 4" drop with 15 inch tire/wheels. I hadnt originally planned on one but the layout I am doing with the 12v refrigerator would make the counter off the ground a bit high for the girlfriend. I am never going off road with this planned build and it would let me put any future water/grey tanks above the axel in a more weight neutral area. (i would welcome thoughts on that too)

thanks,
fredo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: drop axel

Postby steve cowan » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:51 am

I used a flexi ride torsion axle with adjustable angle.It was adjusted to make it set down lower and allow larger tires without raising teardrop height.Don't see a problem with using a drop axle.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Re: drop axel

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:11 pm

The hub face to hub face width on drop spindles might have to be wider than expected to maintain frame clearance. IIRC, finding this dimension in literature is difficult.

On my car hauler trailer I bought some premade surplus drop spindle axles and widened them to the max legal road width. I had already built the frame to a guesstimated width so when I fit them up to the trailer frame (2×4 box tube) the slanting inside of the drop riser was going to pinch the frame. I ended up boxing in 4 areas on the lower outside edges of the frame rails (double axle trailer) and adding big fish plates to the vertical inside surfaces to give the strength back taken by the notches.

Just saying, you should factor this in when figuring track width, fender mounting, and frame width.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion