Camp-Inn vs. Hunter vs. Happytrails

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Camp-Inn vs. Hunter vs. Happytrails

Postby firsttoy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:26 am

Hi all, first post here as I just discovered this whole crazy teardrop world.

I read some of the info and specs. I like the Camp-Inn (website lists the base at around $4500) and the Hunter (per PT Snoozer's site is about the same price).

I thought the Hunter was cheaper? I would prefer a cheaper unit as the idea of customizing/modifying the interior is a positive aspect, in my case.

The Happy trails is about $3000, although the profile is not as satisfactory- kinda tall and awkward looking in comparison.

Also, what is the best bet for someone in my area (Southern Calif)? Buy a Camp-Inn or Hunter and ship it?

Finally, what do you think of this one I found on ebay? Kinda pricey...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=66470

Thanks everyone!

About Camp-Inn- how much tougher is the "off road pkg"? For example, if I get the "400 base" and take it on mild off-roading, will the chassis be able to endure it?
firsttoy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:29 am

Hi First Toy,
If I wasn't going to build mine, I would buy the Camp-Inn in a New York Second!
I've looked at all the Manufactured Teardrops and the Camp-Inn stands alone! You get what you pay for and their prices are not what I would consider outragious. Take a look at their Option Packages and it's easy to tell that they have put quite a bit of thought into everything. For example;
1. Check out how they vent the air conditioning unit.
2. Check out the Fridge/Freezer. (I surfed the net for almost a week and thought that I had found something no one had tried yet, Wrong!...They are already offering it!)
3. Check out the location of the furnace and how they mount the vents.

Bottom Line: These guys are dialed in! (IMHO)

Postby firsttoy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:43 am

Thanks for the input Dean. Yes the Camp-Inn is impressive but with all the extras, it adds up $$. Not unreasonable but I want to keep the $ down for 2 reasons:
1. I enjoy modifying/customizing the interior & galley area. That would be fun to have something unique.
2. I have a couple other very expensive hobbies and my woman would not appreciate another one that sat in the garage for most of it's life! :lol:
I was thinking of the basic 400 Camp-Inn with the off-road chassis at the most.

What do you think of quicksilver trailers? (quicksilvertrailers.com)
Thanks

Actually, the Camp-Inn is looking better and better...
firsttoy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:20 am

Hey First Toy,
The Quicksilver line has some beautiful profiles indeed.
Two knocks against them:
1. Only available in 4' maximum width.
2.Those beatutiful profiles create some sacrifices; loss of interior space and the bottom of the galley hatch is at a higher elevation because of the tight ellipse of the profile.

I see that you are thinking of a 4' width trailer, are you sure that's going to be wide enough?

Since you are in Southern CA, your best bet might be to get in touch with Grant at Lil'Bear Teardrops, located in Redding CA.
http://www.teardrops.net/LilBear/plans.html
He has a very nice design also. I don't know if he offers all the options that Camp-Inn does, but I see that you want to do some of the extras your self.
Grant (Lil'Bear) and Cary (Camp-Inn) both are members of this forum, I'm sure they will fill you in on what they can do to meet your need.

Postby firsttoy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:25 pm

Good points Dan,
I am not sure if the 4' is wide enough...it is very hard to gauge without actually climbing in one. I have to admit that is the one that looks the best to me.

Do you know anything about socalteardrops.com? They are local so that would be my best bet. The galley in their design goes all the way down to the floor but I was concerned about water splash getting in on raining days. What do you think of theirs?
firsttoy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:35 pm

I don't recall seeing that website before. (Guess I haven't seen them all) :D
From what I could see, that's a nice looking trailer.
A way to get an idea of your width and length needed; take a sheet of 4' x 8' plywood, you and your wife lay down on top of it. Keep in mind about wall thickness and where you're going to have the bulkhead located.
4' is just a bit too cosy for my needs and a 5' wide trailer shouldn't require any special mirrors on the tow rig.

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:49 pm

nah... the problem with laying down on a 4x8 sheet of plywood is that it's too hard...

Your best bet is to take a sheet of plywood and rip it in half... so you have 2, 2x8 sheets of plywood. Then set them up on your bed 48" apart, and secure them with a few spars...

Then you'll see what the real problem is... it's not sleeping... it's rolling over...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Cary Winch » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:48 pm

Firsttoy,

You should go look at some units and get a feel for them. I believe the big Spamboree is this weekend in SoCal. Here is the info cut from Grant's page. He has all the good info.

The Short, Short Trailer's Fifth Teardrop Spamboree!!, at Guajome County Park. For more info call Damian at 909-790-1439 or visit the website at http://home.earthlink.net/~solrac11/id2.html.

I believe there should be at least one of our Camp-Inns there.

Another thought is to email us with your location and I can find a Camp-Inn owner near you that you can go visit. SoCal has a few of them running about.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Arne » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:57 pm

As mentioned previously, I just ordered a harbor freight 4x8 trailer. Since my brother is a welder, first thing will be to make it into a 5x8 trailer.... If I wanted 4x8, we could just sleep in my odyssey van. With more head room....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Chip » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:22 pm

I wanted wider than 4 but not a full 5' wide,,setteled for a 54" width,,that way I can put a standard full matterace in the cabin,,sheets fit etc and I got enough room to sleep,,hopefully,,,length is 6'4" to also fit standard bedding,,its about the only thing I got that is standard size,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:11 pm

With 1/2 ply outside walls, 1" studs/insulation, 1/8 something tbd(?) inside walls, I'll lose 3-1/4" from the 5 feet, so will be down to 56-3/4, give or take.... but, if I started with 4 feet, I'd be way less.

I would just overhang the box on the sides, but the fenders stick up, so windening the trailer should make the whole thing a lot simpler to tackle...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby firsttoy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:42 am

Cary Winch wrote:Firsttoy,

I believe the big Spamboree is this weekend in SoCal.

Another thought is to email us with your location and I can find a Camp-Inn owner near you that you can go visit. SoCal has a few of them running about.

Cary

Cary,
Thanks yes I just found out about the Spamboree :lol: from socalteardrops.
That's great I can check out the Camp-Inn too! I dunno if the little lady will be down for a Spamboree since that is possibly the most evil concoction to a vegitarian like her!
I gotta get my meat fix tho so...we'll see!

I sent you an email at : [email protected]
hopefully you recieved it

Thanks
firsttoy
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion