underside of floor

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

underside of floor

Postby fredo » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:14 am

has anybody tried or had thoughts on using something like the self sticking "Ice & Water" rubber roofing membrane on the underside of the floor plywood?

thanks
fredo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: underside of floor

Postby Wrecit » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:13 am

Would/ should work but I would fear air bubbles and pealing over time. Ice and water shield is a bear to get off a roof after a week or so of sun heat cycles laying on top of plywood with gravity pressing it down. As the bottom layer it will have gravity naturally pulling it away and no 100 plus degree heat cycles to soften the adhesive to get the strong bond people that redo roofs know and hate when they have to remove and replace.
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Postby GarthB » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:41 am

I applied it to the bottom of my floor after a lot of internal deliberation. The previous builder that had started constructing my floor had already applied a coat of roofing tar so it was probably overkill. After applying it, I let it bake in the sun for a couple of days.

I inspected the underside of the floor just the other day now that I've been using it for about a year and it looked to be in as good of shape as the day I applied it and had no signs of sagging anywhere.

If I were to build another one, I would fiberglass the bottom. The glass cloth will prevent the wood from checking over time and the epoxy will protect it from the elements. The bottom of the floor doesn't receive near as much abuse as I had originally thought it might and we've dragged it through mud holes that came up to our doors.

GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby fredo » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:37 pm

thanks for the reply
fredo
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion