November Travel From West Coast to East

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

November Travel From West Coast to East

Postby Capebuild » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:18 pm

Hello. I'm planning our return trip from California back to the East coast. It will be in middle of November and would like to avoid running into snow, if that's possible. I'm looking at either interstate 40 or 70 (trying to take more of a southerly route). I realize it's the higher elevations that might show some snow. Any thoughts would be appreciated and if there's other
highways/routes I should consider, please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: November Travel From West Coast to East

Postby swoody126 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:06 pm

swing south and catch I-10 a/o the US 90 corridor

try to keep below I-40 or at east no farther north and you can stay under 7000' ±

some really rich history on I-40(Route66 > OKC,OK)

then it swings down thru Melvis and Nashville

SAFE TRAVELS

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:00 am

Capebuild wrote:Hello. I'm planning our return trip from California back to the East coast. It will be in middle of November and would like to avoid running into snow, if that's possible. I'm looking at either interstate 40 or 70 (trying to take more of a southerly route). I realize it's the higher elevations that might show some snow. Any thoughts would be appreciated and if there's other
highways/routes I should consider, please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

John

The few sections of I-70 I've done, in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado, have very steep inclines and declines. Was up there the weekend after Thanksgiving a few years ago, and there was already snow on the ground. I remember single digit temperatures. I would expect it to be cold and would hesitate to recommend it for teardrop camping that time of year. Of course, you know the sort of camping you like.

I-40 is probably okay weather-wise in mid-November. Once in awhile, the section from Gallup to Albuquerque can become treacherous during snowstorms, but that usually doesn't start until December. I would not stop in Albuquerque: Many have had trailers broken into or stolen. The crime in that city is bad and getting worse.

From I-40 in Arizona, you are a few hours from the Grand Canyon if you are interested in a side trip. (Probably okay in mid-November, but check the weather.) Flagstaff, at the top of a mountain range, will be cold. Meteor Crater may be worth the trip for you, and I think there is a commercial campground there, although we've never stayed there. Petrified Forest National Park takes a few hours to drive through, stopping a few times along the way, and is worth it.

In New Mexico, El Malpais National Monument is west of Albuquerque and is very pretty, year round. East of Albuquerque is pretty bleak, although about 7 hours from the city there is Red Rock Canyon Adventure Park, a state park in Oklahoma. At least in the late Spring, it was very pretty. It's a canyon in the middle of plains. We haven't been yet, but plan to visit the Tom Stafford museum near there someday.

To tell the truth though, I would concur with the recommendation to take I-10, if it's not too far out of your way. Much warmer, and true desert scenery. Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument is a bit south of the road, but we had a good time there last February. Campsites are cement pads and packed close together and showers are solar heated though. If you want to stop near Tucson, Shelly and I highly recommend camping at Catalina State Park, north of the city. Spend the day hiking the trails in and around the park and don't bother with Saguaro National Park (not that it's bad either).

Near I-10 in New Mexico, there is Silver City, the Gila National Forest, and City of Rocks State Park, among others in the western side of the state. Carlsbad Caverns is not too far away, and may be in your direction.

Just mentioning places etc. that I have personal knowledge of.

We will enjoy reading your travel log as you head home John! Have a safe trip.

Tom

PS--We are delayed here in Upstate NY due to family matters, and will likely be looking for the warmest/best weather for our trip back to New Mexico at about the same time.
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:27 am

I-10 is a safer bet in winter, check weather reports if you're on 70 or 40, just sayin...
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:07 am

noseoil wrote:I-10 is a safer bet in winter,

Tom&Shelly wrote:To tell the truth though, I would concur with the recommendation to take I-10, if it's not too far out of your way.

Thanks Tom and Tim for your thoughts. I had posted the same inquiry on Trip Advisor and had similar responses regarding taking RTE 10.... so I think we'll probably plan our route with 10 in mind. We plan on leaving the Bay Area on October 25 so we may not hit any real snow on our travels back but just don't want to take any chances and would like to avoid snow as much as is practicle. We're not in a real rush to return to the Cape so long as we get back by Thanksgiving. Planning on traveling 4 to 5 hours a day and not really planning on staying more than one night in each spot.... but who knows. Just want to keep things open and be flexible. I didn't take into account that many campgrounds might be closed during our return travels so we'll need to make some decisions on the fly, sort of speak. Every day's an adventure!!
:thinking:

Thanks again!!

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:30 am

I would expect the campsites along I-10 in the Southwest to be open year around. My guess is the same is true across the South.

I know most of the campgrounds along the Blue Ridge Parkway close by the end of November. That's along the Appalachian mountain range, so perhaps they stay open East of there year around?

I'm thinking we won't be out of New York until possibly the end of November, so our strategy will be a bee-line south to warmer climes, then a quick tour of Dixie.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:51 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:...our strategy will be a bee-line south to warmer climes, then a quick tour of Dixie.

Tom

You sure have a bunch of white space down there to color in. :vroom:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:55 am

Capebuild wrote:I'm looking at either interstate 40 or 70 ...

John

This retired trucker would avoid I-70 like the plague anytime after mid October. :snow
Go south. I-10 would be my plan for sure.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Squigie » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:16 pm

I would also avoid I-70, if you don't want to run into snow. From Cedar City to Denver, it can blow in on any day, sometimes with the forecast not even hinting at the possibility.

But I think I-40 is far enough south to be fairly safe.
Just try not to stop in ABQ. I agree with that advice. It is worse now than when I was (unwillingly) living there 20 years ago. But, even then, the most common crime visible at that time was smashing windows while people were stopped in traffic, and grab anything not strapped down - and often using a weapon to demand wallets, purses, phones, etc. That is, of course, on top of the usual robberies, thefts, vandalism, and violent crimes.

If you were to go to I-10, I would give the same advice for El Paso. It isn't as bad as ABQ, but your experience would be better if you stayed in, say, Las Cruces, drove through El Paso, and then stayed somewhere like Fort Stockton or Midland.
I would take the northern swing of I-20. I prefer not going so far south on I-10 when I don't have to. But that's just my preference. It does, however, set you up for a more 'natural' northerly swing once you're back east, as well as keep you farther away from potential late-season hurricanes.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby Onajourney » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:15 pm

I too am in the I-10 camp. Many many years ago I did a Grand Canyon cross country tent camping trip in a Jeep and a new girlfriend from NC. We mostly traveled parallel to I-10 east to west. Trip took 1 month but I made rules. This was before cells and GPS. No interstates and no hotel, motels and stay in private campground if no other option. So basically just National Forest and State Forest Parks. Incredible trip and we caved just one night in a motel in NM because of sub-zero night temp and a few private campgrounds. I did beeline it back via I-40 because of a mechanical problems and the new girlfriend already had grown old. Trip highlight was Big Bend NP for sure. It came as a recommendation from a State Park Ranger. I had a loose itinerary and took the 4 hour detour and boy I am so glad I did. We stayed 4 days.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby Philip » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:05 pm

I40 in TX and OK sees a lot of ice storms in late Nov and Dec.

I40 across NM has 5 sections for road crews. Section 2 is about worthless in their snow removal work. The section numbers start on the west side.

If I wasn't pushed for time on the trip. I would do I10. At El Pisshole head for Dallas, hit I40 in Ark.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Return to General Discussion