Using a GPS tracker

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Using a GPS tracker

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:15 pm

This was posted on a number of FB pages. The first part is what I initially posted the second is based on what I found. I have to say the information that is out there is not up to any standard of testing.
Had a discussion with my wife this morning over breakfast. Am I becoming increasingly paranoid about our teardrop being stolen, the answer is yes, however being paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you and increasingly I am seeing an increasing number of teardrops being stolen. I have done the passive prevention stuff, unique graphics, GusHill tongue lock and removable chains. I am now looking at a GPS tracker. There are a lot of them, virtually all working on a cell system. I Am now looking for those that have had an experience, good and bad with a particular make.
:roll:
I have to say spending some hours (I lost track), looking at GPS units suitable for a towable RV, the level of the end product of hay through a male bovine is incredible. I come from a testing background and I did not find a single effort to test much of anything, all taking the word of the manufacturer for the specs. No one tested the signal strength of the devise or that the battery lasted the specified length of time.
Apple AirTag is about 800 feet, “AirTags do not have a defined range because they work within the range of Apple's Find My network. This means as long as an AirTag is within Bluetooth range of anybody's iPhone (or other Apple device), it can passively communicate with it and then help you locate it.” “SmartTags communicate with your Galaxy smartphone or tablet using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and have a maximum connection range of 120 metres. About 800 feet If your SmartTag is outside of this range, you can still locate it using offline finding in SmartThings Find. The Samsung Galaxy SmartTAG is compatible with Android 8 or above.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: Using a GPS tracker

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:50 pm

Folks who tell you that you're paranoid are the ones who are out to get you the most! Or so I've found.

Think if I were looking for a tracker, I'd like one that works even when there is no cell phone coverage, and few people. Guess it depends where you (or the thieves) plan on being. That implies satellite tracking, I suppose.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby TimC » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:40 am

I tried Evertrack from https://corvusgps.com/. Looking back at emails from customer service that was summer 2019. I haven't used the system since.

My experience was not great. I chose this system because its up front cost was low and its potential seemed to be high. I used an old TracPhone smart phone wired into my TD battery via a normal 5V charging cable and a 12v to 5v converter and I hid the whole thing in a cubby that no one would suspect was there. I had to purchase a cell SIM card to change the cell from Verizon to AT&T. The cell battery would keep the app running for an while, maybe a week, if the robbers were smart enough to disconnect the TD's battery.

Corvusgps customer service was very responsive with bugs I reported to them while I tried to get the system working accurately. In the end I discontinued service after six months because the app would tell me the TD was about a mile away from where it actually was. And when I would travel it didn't seem to accurately locate the TD, sometimes not showing any movement. Customer service was very polite and worked with me until I just gave up on the whole idea.

They might be worth another look. They suggest the cell phone based system where the APP does the work but they also suggest a wide array of tracker units that need to be tied to a carrier in the same way a phone is, without all the fuss of a phone confusing the customer (me). I don't think they sell the tracker units they suggest. Their web site is basically the same it was in 2019 so I suspect the service has been successful with most people. I don't consider myself to be very cell phone savvy. So the best second try would be to buy the dedicated tracking device and give Evertrack another try.

As Shadow Catcher has mentioned I think my camper is unique enough looking that it may deter thieves. But then again thieves are not too smart and if the opportunity presents itself they may try to get away with it with the result being damage to the TD. I don't carry insurance on the TD so a theft would be a total loss if they were to run it off the road into the pickers.

I'm interested in how others are tracking their TDs and most importantly how much it costs per month to do that successfully. Following this thread with interest.
Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:20 am

Following this. I had also looked into a satellite tracker. Always seemed to be monthly fees involved and when considering I only use the trailer maybe 6 months out of the year, I wasn't fond of having to pay for the tracker system the other 6 months when not using the service. Maybe worth it though, just for piece of mind. Then I stopped thinking about this.... but now this thread is making me think of it, again.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:32 pm

I'd sure look at a Spot Trace if I wanted this. $130 and then $10/month. Satellite.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby friz » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:24 pm

I have been using the Spot Trace for 6 years now. Just changed the batteries and updated the firmware this morning. I pay 119.40 annually.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby SLJ » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:26 pm

I've had a GPS tracker for about a year. Seems to work well. It's a monthly charge but I can stop and start it by the month. Works without needing cell phone coverage. They state the batteries last about three years and it will let me know when the batteries need to be replaced. You can set zones so when it's home it only notes the location once a day so you know it's working. Otherwise it gives a location text when it leaves the zone and you can also view it's location on a on a map when it's moving or sitting outside the zone. I know it's working because if it's sitting been in my garage for a few days and I open the garage door I'll get a text. I can also view the history and routes on the app or logging in. It's worth it to me as sometimes it sits in a remote area for a day without us around. There are several GPS equipment trackers that work basically the same way. You either pay up front for the tracker and a couple years service, Or just buy the tracker itself and pay by the month.

We camp remotely out of cell phone range so an apple air tag wouldn't work. Besides, if the thief has an iphone he knows the air tag's there and can find its location. Great for finding misplaced keys though.

Before you ask, here's a couple equipment trackers with different plans:

https://www.gpsandtrack.us/ and https://www.lonestartracking.com/home/.

This is the detail I get. It's actually higher than this. I'm zoomed out a little.
2021 T@B 320S Boondock
SLJ
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Mon May 01, 2023 7:17 am

I have a Victron Cerbo GX for remote monitoring of the van electrical system and you can add a USB GPS receiver to it. The van has an AT&T WiFi hot spot that I pay $200/year for and the Cerbo connects to it to provide location information.
The catch is that the WiFI is only on when the van's engine is running. So I can track the van if someone manages start it and drive away. I get nothing if someone tows it away and parts it out.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat May 13, 2023 12:34 pm

I did settle On a Trak-4 Which reportedly uses both satellite GPS and cell signal..
https://trak-4.com/
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sat May 13, 2023 1:23 pm

bdosborn wrote:I have a Victron Cerbo GX for remote monitoring of the van electrical system and you can add a USB GPS receiver to it. The van has an AT&T WiFi hot spot that I pay $200/year for and the Cerbo connects to it to provide location information.
The catch is that the WiFI is only on when the van's engine is running. So I can track the van if someone manages start it and drive away. I get nothing if someone tows it away and parts it out.
Bruce

I have the same Victron monitoring system as Bruce, except that my wifi is always on and the battery is recharged daily via solar. The wifi is provided by a little Raspberry Pi computer that is a cellular hotspot and sips electricity. Sixfab.com sells a nifty kit for setting up your RPi hotspot and sells basic data for what I need to monitor the system at $11 a month.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat May 13, 2023 3:07 pm

Apple AirTag is...

Don't dismiss those $30 AirTags. I have two—one in the teardrop and one in my drift boat. I'll borrow them to track my luggage this summer on a trip to Alaska.

If someone stole either my boat or my teardrop, I'm confident in recovering as long as they are located where there's cell coverage.

If I lived in a high-crime area, I might go higher up the food chain and use a cell tracker. In a previous life, I'd crawl under vehicles at zero-dark-thirty with dogs barking and slap them on the frame. They work.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Sun May 14, 2023 3:39 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:I did settle On a Trak-4 Which reportedly uses both satellite GPS and cell signal..
https://trak-4.com/

Where did you mount yours? I installed mine in the battery box under the trailer and I don't get GPS signal. I will need to move it out somewhere. I want to make it as inconspicuous as possible.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion